left headlamp is dim but bulb is okay.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everard

It is a 2015 leaf from portland OR and imported to British Columbia. The Daytime running light modification was done. To begin with the headlights worked fine and high beams also. 6 months later the left headlight seemed to stop. Checked the bulb visual and by switching left to right. Both work fine. By flashing the high beam on and off it worked again.....for a few months. Now it is not working properly . The lamp is on but only at 20% brightness. Checked all fuses. Oddly with lights on and then press the high beam control the right high beam goes on and the left headlamp dims to 0%. release the lever and the left light glows again to its 20%.

Any ideas???? Fuses? Is it the light switch control on the steering column? Or under the hood on driver side there is a black box "W6" that clicks whenever the light control is activated.

cheers

Not a fuse since a blown fuse would cause the light to go out. The symptoms sound to me like a wiring problem of some sort, either a bad connection or a short.

Can you take the car back to whoever did the light modifications? If not, I'd start with a basic visual inspection of the wiring, especially the wires that were changed when the car was brought into Canada. Look for anything that looks burnt or loose, especially the ground connections (where the wires attach to the body of the car). If nothing turns up there you'll have to do some basic trouble-shooting of the light circuits but that can be tricky if you have never trouble-shot electrical circuits before.

Check the ground connections. Poor ground will go through the high beam circuit to find ground and give a dim light running the filaments in series.

Thanks to all! I will pursue the grounding and then take it back to Canadian Tire so they can check their workmanship.

Back