Intermittent Charging Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blinking light on the car may indicate that the 12 volt battery is being charged by the car. It isn't typical, but this may have something to do with a failing 12 volt battery in the car. Just to check that, charge the 12 volt battery with an external charger, and try again. You can also read the rest voltage (car off with hood released and doors closed). If it's below 12.2 volts you may have the culprit. I also suggest that you use LeafSpy Pro to get any trouble codes being thrown. Again, this isn't a typical Leaf problem...

Thank you. I HAVE been having major 12v issues in the past. My car will drain the 12v battery unannounced and randomly about once a 3 months. I keep a jumper in the car for this. Any idea why this is happening? (No, I did not leave something on inside the car).

LeftieBiker said:
The blinking light on the car may indicate that the 12 volt battery is being charged by the car.
My observation is that the single LED on the right (when facing the windscreen) flashing just means the contactors are on. It could mean that charging is expected but there is no power; I get this for about 5 minutes after I turn off power to the EVSE (being careful to press the J1772 button first). It also happens at apparently random times to charge the auxiliary (12V) battery. This is supposed to happen every 5 days or so; I've not been patient enough to confirm or deny this.

I would assume that if the 5-day timer happened to come up just as you decided to plug in to charge the car, it would pause or cancel that auxiliary charge. After all, when the contactors are on waiting for charging, the auxiliary battery is being charged already.

Since resetting the EVSE fixes the problem, that seems to me to indicate a problem with the EVSE. Since the same thing happens with another EVSE, it could be that the EVSE isn't getting what it expects from the car. But then I don't see how cycling the power to the EVSE solves that problem.

Back