Learjet
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:04 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2020
Leaf Number: 309454
Location: Louisiana, USA

Re: BatteryMinder For Idiots

Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 am

cwerdna wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:39 pm
For charging the 12 volt, I connect the negative to the terminal connected via black cable to the PDM. I NEVER connected to the negative terminal of the 12 volt.

Can you explain why you don't connect to the negative terminal of the battery for a low amp charger like the BatteryMinder @1.5 amps? What are your concerns?
2019 Nissan Leaf SL Plus

RapmasterD
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2017

Re: BatteryMinder For Idiots

Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:27 am

Learjet wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 am
cwerdna wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:39 pm
For charging the 12 volt, I connect the negative to the terminal connected via black cable to the PDM. I NEVER connected to the negative terminal of the 12 volt.

Can you explain why you don't connect to the negative terminal of the battery for a low amp charger like the BatteryMinder @1.5 amps? What are your concerns?
I quickly perused the BatteryMinder manual online, and believe it instructed to connect the negative cable to a ground.

I’m generally a rule follower.

Learjet
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:04 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2020
Leaf Number: 309454
Location: Louisiana, USA

Re: BatteryMinder For Idiots

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:59 am

RapmasterD wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:27 am
Learjet wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 am
cwerdna wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:39 pm
For charging the 12 volt, I connect the negative to the terminal connected via black cable to the PDM. I NEVER connected to the negative terminal of the 12 volt.

Can you explain why you don't connect to the negative terminal of the battery for a low amp charger like the BatteryMinder @1.5 amps? What are your concerns?
I quickly perused the BatteryMinder manual online, and believe it instructed to connect the negative cable to a ground.

I’m generally a rule follower.
That is probably to prevent a spark that could ignite the hydrogen that could be outgassing...just like the warning when hooking up jumper cables.

My concerns is... does the Leaf have some computer issue caused by directly connecting a low amp charger directly to the battery?
2019 Nissan Leaf SL Plus

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15050
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: BatteryMinder For Idiots

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:47 am

There is a current sensor on the Negative battery terminal cable. You won't necessarily cause damage if you use the terminal, but avoiding it is suggested.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RapmasterD
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2017

Re: BatteryMinder For Idiots

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:31 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:47 am
There is a current sensor on the Negative battery terminal cable. You won't necessarily cause damage if you use the terminal, but avoiding it is suggested.
Helpful! Thank you.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”