New in Northern VA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYev

Hi all,

I just purchased my first Leaf (see signature). It's my third EV, though I'm still very new to all of this. I have a Vectrix VX-1 scooter into which I retrofitted Leaf modules, and I played around with a Miles ZX40S for a year before deciding a higher top speed and fewer cars would make more sense for me. I was also fortunate enough to have bought a house with solar panels already installed, so happy to have the "free" fuel! Now I just need to find a way to get my wife (and I) over the severe range anxiety this car has been causing in the short time we've owned it so far.

Some of my first projects will be to 3D print front strut covers and to retrofit a HomeLink mirror from a 2014 Nissan Maxima in place of the original auto-dimming mirror. I would also like to retrofit a backup camera, though am torn between bolt-on original parts using the proper wiring harnesses (at least my hatch harness needs to be swapped) or 3D printing a housing for a backup camera also removed from the Maxima and squeezing it in maybe near the license plate light.

Glad to be here and to learn!

Welcome to the forum. I too have a VX-1 that now uses Leaf modules, although it was the first owner who converted it. I may eventually merge this topic with the main topic for new members, but I see no hurry in doing that.

Welcome Kevin and congrats! How about that free power!! Took me a month or 2 to manage the range anxiety. When you can post a couple of pics of this electric scooter. Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome, and apologies if I mis-posted!

Here's a shot of my Vectrix and its fancy Leaf modules. It's as if they were made to fit this bike!

48927258242_64cacc03e8_c_d.jpg

48926536113_4be01a7167_c_d.jpg

Mine has 18 modules. I think that "Kocho," who did the conversion, wanted to make it impossible to overcharge the cells or even charge to 100%. Since they are 2013 "Canary" cells, he was probably right. Do you know what year Leaf modules are in yours?

LeftieBiker said:
Mine has 18 modules. I think that "Kocho," who did the conversion, wanted to make it impossible to overcharge the cells or even charge to 100%. Since they are 2013 "Canary" cells, he was probably right. Do you know what year Leaf modules are in yours?

Mine are from 2013-2015. I bought them from a reseller, so not sure exactly what year. The Team Laird firmware charges the pack to about 156v.

Steelcity said:
Nice! So what's the range? Speed?

Top speed is around 72mph. I haven't really pushed the range on it (my pre-COVID roundtrip commute was only 18 miles). But I wouldn't be surprised if it could outlast my 2013 Leaf!

Mine charges to 145.5 volts, IIRC. The firmware is from someone else, whose name escapes me, although I do know about the legendary Laird. It's set to think the pack is 40AH, even though it's more, so I've lost little range. I'm happy enough with the original 69MPH limited top speed, because the bike will do it while climbing a hill, or with a passenger. Probably even both. I'm not as happy with the loud warble the straight cut gears in the single speed planetary transmission makes, but I'm semi used to it after several years. I'm now entirely used to the 'Barco-lounger on wheels' riding position. I don't ride the bike much anymore, though, as my health fails. I think about selling it, but then I know I'd miss it...

LeftieBiker said:
The firmware is from someone else, whose name escapes me

Probably David Dugas. I've been meaning to flash his firmware if for no other reason than to have a speedometer readout in MPH. But Antiscab says the Dugas firmware has notably less regenerative braking. I'm mostly concerned that I'd mess up some of the countless settings in the custom firmware generator program. But I'll figure it out eventually...

Hope you're able to keep riding. Perhaps it's possible to find and retrofit a VX-3 two-wheel front end for a little more stability?

Yes, I believe it's David's firmware. I get plenty of regen - in fact, I don't use all of it because I want to reduce stress on the battery and controller. Reverse is a little weak, but give that this is the only bike under $15k that even offers reverse, I'm happy with it.

Casda3Uh.jpg

The only modifications I've done myself are a crude pack temp display in the cargo compartment that reads the temp at the surface of the top of one of the middle modules (I mentally add 5F to whatever it says when the bike is in use) and the backrest for the topbox. Oh, and an LED reading light inside the topbox. I also carry a J-1772 adapter so I can charge at EV charging stations.
It isn't that I can't balance the bike while moving, it's more that it's too heavy for me when stopped or creeping, at least on a non-good day.

I didn't really want white, and even considered buying a dead red one just to swap panels. But the white has grown on me over the years. I just wash it in the Spring and again in August, and try to avoid rain and mud.

Speaking of which, folks: you can find these bikes with the original, terribly designed (they kill themselves no matter what you do) NiMH packs for almost nothing, and add the Leaf modules yourselves.

For less range anxiety the Ev Go Qc,s in Annandale,Seven Corners,Barcroft,Springfield work great,though all with in a 10 mile radius.Free chargepoint 240 at City Hall in FallsChurch.Great farmers market Saturday,s year around.Chris,s Marketplace crab cakes are awsome.

Located in Alexandria, so not far from the Annandale QC. How about you?

And just had Taco Bamba for dinner yesterday. So good!!

Will have to check out Johnny's. I have a love/hate relationship with Valentino's: they frequently mess up our order, but then we eat the food and all is forgiven!

Thanks for the welcome, and apologies if I mis-posted!

Here's a shot of my Vectrix and its fancy Leaf modules. It's as if they were made to fit this bike!

48927258242_64cacc03e8_c_d.jpg

48926536113_4be01a7167_c_d.jpg
Hi Sir or Madam,

Did you have a VX-1 listed on Craigslist in NoVa last night?? The listing has since expired, but I want to buy it. I live in Oakton, VA and just got my M2 license. I will give you $2,600 for it cash today. Please contact me if still available…. Serious buyer, not tire kicker.

Thank you,
John

Back