solvorn
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2020
Leaf Number: 308053

Going for a warranty replacement, wish me luck.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Bought a lightly used 2017 Leaf last weekend to commute to work back and forth to go with my newly installed 10kW solar array.
Here are my LeafSpy stats:

AHr = 46.88
SOH = 58.98%
395.0V
Hx = 56.04%
odo = 34,412
39 QCs
1170 L1/L2s

8 bars.

All cells between about 4.107 and 4.115 with all but one between 4.11 and 4.115

With a full night's charge on my 240V/32A charger I get
SOC 97.7
SOH 59.98
Gids = 214
Ah = 45.80

I believe this qualifies me for a warranty replacement. I notice that my ECU version for my battery is 4NP4A, which I believe is pre-software update.

My guess is the dealer will try to convince me the software update will fix this abnormal degradation but I'm going to try and push them for the replacement since I believe it qualifies and cross my fingers for the 40kWhr!

What do you think?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Going for a warranty replacement, wish me luck.

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 pm

They won't replace the battery until the BMS update has been performed, and assuming that the display rises above 8 bars as it almost certainly will, it has once again dropped below 9. I suggest that you adjust your expectations to 'a new 40kwr battery sometime in the next year.'
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Driver8
Delivery Date: 26 Sep 2020

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:52 am

I'm interested to hear what happens at the dealer. Please update afterwards.

I do have to question whether you can call a car "lightly used" with a SOH stat of only 58?

Guessing this car previously lived in the south?

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:34 am

solvorn wrote:
I believe
Beliefs are irrelevant. Two conditions have to be met:
1. The software update was applied
2. The car shows less than 9 capacity bars

So far as I know, the software upgrade resets the battery so even if it has degraded to warranty replacement level it will take some time for the reset to wear off, more if the car is not driven much. Second, sometimes the software upgrade actually does correct a mis-calibration so for now you do not really know *what* your battery capacity is unless you do a charge or charge depletion test.

IIRC your car has an 8 yr/100k battery degradation warranty. Be very cognizant of the details because Nissan will tell you to pound sand if you do not meet the letter of the warranty. And I do mean the letter. One day past warranty, or one mile past warranty --- you are out of luck. You should also be aware that Nissan does not owe you a 40 kWh new battery by the warranty terms. All they have to do is bring your car range up to at least 9 capacity bars. They have done more in the past but that is their choice, not yours. Lastly, do yourself a favor and disabuse yourself of the notion that if you are a squeaky enough wheel Nissan will capitulate to your demands. All it will accomplish is to annoy your dealership.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

solvorn

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 am

SageBrush wrote:

So far as I know, the software upgrade resets the battery so even if it has degraded to warranty replacement level it will take some time for the reset to wear off, more if the car is not driven much. Second, sometimes the software upgrade actually does correct a mis-calibration so for now you do not really know *what* your battery capacity is unless you do a charge or charge depletion test.

IIRC your car has an 8 yr/100k battery degradation warranty. Be very cognizant of the details because Nissan will tell you to pound sand if you do not meet the letter of the warranty. And I do mean the letter. One day past warranty, or one mile past warranty --- you are out of luck. You should also be aware that Nissan does not owe you a 40 kWh new battery by the warranty terms. All they have to do is bring your car range up to at least 9 capacity bars. They have done more in the past but that is their choice, not yours. Lastly, do yourself a favor and disabuse yourself of the notion that if you are a squeaky enough wheel Nissan will capitulate to your demands. All it will accomplish is to annoy your dealership.
Well, I guess I found the ackshually guy on my first day.
I never offered my beliefs as "relevant." I am stating what I think is the case. I am unsure (hence the normal English usage, "believe") what what I posted means and gave what I thought it did. Since you know so much about the ways of the world here, please, do tell me what those numbers mean so that my irrelevant beliefs can cease and I can bathe in the light of your true knowledge.

Anyway, your second paragraph is mostly your emotional damage and nothing about the real world. Nissan doesn't write the laws. They have to comply with their end of it too and fraudulent tricks to get around it won't survive scrutiny by a judge. Don't you get that's why they have this program for the 2017s in the first place?

Good for you, you told another person on the Internet about life and made it an even worse place.

solvorn

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:24 am

Driver8 wrote:

I do have to question whether you can call a car "lightly used" with a SOH stat of only 58?

I meant that in the normal sense of the term. It's in excellent condition with low mileage. If all you look at is the SOH, it means what it means.

Anyway, the dealer seemed to agree with me that it was quite low. Shocked almost. They are going to run the tests.

solvorn

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:50 am

UPDATE:

Software update and another battery-related recall installed.

11 bars.

The service manager told me that he sees some drop quickly after this and they will arrange for a replacement if that happens, and that he has replaced several batteries in the 2017s.

I got all the documentation. But 11 bars? I'm happy with that if it's real. If it was a thin 9, I would feel differently. They were very nice and didn't act like I was a squeaky wheel at all.

A good result, I'm happy and this is a much simpler transaction!

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Get LeafSpy as it will tell you much more detailed information about the SOH reading of the car. You may still be a candidate for a warranty replacement battery which IMO is a great place to be. The rest of the car will last for a long time and getting a brand new (40kWh !!) battery in the middle of the car's life is like a gift from ....somewhere.

Driver8
Delivery Date: 26 Sep 2020

Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:59 am

solvorn wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:24 am
Driver8 wrote:

I meant that in the normal sense of the term. It's in excellent condition with low mileage. If all you look at is the SOH, it means what it means.

Anyway, the dealer seemed to agree with me that it was quite low. Shocked almost. They are going to run the tests.
"Normal sense of the term" doesn't mean as much for EV's though. The battery is by far the most important stat. It's always great that interior/exterior of the car is in good shape, but lower range Leafs will almost always have lower mileage compared to ICE's. I just bought a 2017 with 26K miles and the SOH was 89% (and even that was a little lower than I had hoped because the previous lease-e had almost exclusively rapid charged the car), so I am surprised that your SOH was so low, but maybe now the update has "fixed" it?

What is the SOH reading now that the software update has been done?

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:43 am

SageBrush wrote:
solvorn wrote:
I believe

I get its Halloween but digging up the grave of this dead horse is really quite hilarious :lol:
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 14,342.8 mi, 93.16% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”