jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Going for a warranty replacement, wish me luck.

Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm

goldbrick wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:15 pm
Get LeafSpy as it will tell you much more detailed information about the SOH reading of the car. You may still be a candidate for a warranty replacement battery which IMO is a great place to be. The rest of the car will last for a long time and getting a brand new (40kWh !!) battery in the middle of the car's life is like a gift from ....somewhere.
You did notice in the OP where he posted the stats from Leaf Spy?

No, he's not a candidate for a warranty replacement right now, and he never was. From his initial post it was obvious he was going to get the BMS update and end up with 10 or 11 bars.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 45K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 23K mi)
ICE free since '18
100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:25 pm

And the car is 3 years old and has 5 more years before the warranty expires. I'd bet he gets a new battery at some point.

solvorn
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2020
Leaf Number: 308053

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:05 am

goldbrick wrote:
Get LeafSpy as it will tell you much more detailed information about the SOH reading of the car. You may still be a candidate for a warranty replacement battery which IMO is a great place to be. The rest of the car will last for a long time and getting a brand new (40kWh !!) battery in the middle of the car's life is like a gift from ....somewhere.
I posted my leafspy stats in the OP...........................

solvorn
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2020
Leaf Number: 308053

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 am

jlv wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm
goldbrick wrote:
You did notice in the OP where he posted the stats from Leaf Spy?

No, he's not a candidate for a warranty replacement right now, and he never was. From his initial post it was obvious he was going to get the BMS update and end up with 10 or 11 bars.
So, here's what happened when I brought the car home. I got the software update, 11 bars. Leafspy has my SOH over 80 now. BUT.

The service manager said they would comp me a battery test the next time I came in for service and replace it if it showed any signs of degradation at all. When I mentioned that I had heard that the software reset would only go to 9, as the initial replyguy said here, he said if it had done that they would have run the battery test right away.

I never squeaky wheeled, I was just straight up. Even though I'm working in applied math now, I have a law degree. It's not like I'm concerned about getting told "no" by some dude once. There's always a procedure to try and play out. If I had listened to guys like that a few years ago I never would have gotten my surgery approved by insurance. Polite persistence pays. No need to be a jerk, but come on. If the battery loses most of its life in 3 years, that's just wrong.

I'm very happy with the result and I'm not sure why everyone was so fast to curb my enthusiasm. I wonder if this board has the typical negative board culture. I was hoping for a friendly place to share info and projects about Leafs, not get hazed.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:16 am

solvorn wrote:
I'm very happy with the result and I'm not sure why everyone was so fast to curb my enthusiasm. I wonder if this board has the typical negative board culture. I was hoping for a friendly place to share info and projects about Leafs, not get hazed.
The culture here is fairly "Tesla Fanboy". However, there is a lot of good information, and still people that love their LEAFs. And even some of the Tesla Fanboys are not unreasonable all of the time.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:35 am

Some people are killjoys, don't let that color your views of these forums. On the whole, it's a decent online community and I think it's an excellent resource if you ever have problems with a LEAF as there are a few exceptionally knowledgeable people - regulars and those who visit from time to time.

FWIW, the update does a BMS reset so it might take a few weeks before you know the true condition of the pack. Check with Leafspy at the end of November.

Where you live will be the biggest determining factor. DaveinOlyWA lives in the PNW, so from his perspective there's no way you qualify. However, others from hotter locales would be more optimistic about your chances, if you live in SoCal, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:50 am

The basic math is that the car is 80% SOH after roughly 3 years and the car will qualify for a replacement pack around 67% SOH. The warranty is for 8 years/100k miles.

A lot depends on the local climate and how the battery is used. You can find all the details here or ask around. It looks to me like you have a good chance to get a replacement pack. The thing to avoid is to to just miss the warranty period. I'd either want to keep the battery at optimum health (too late for this one....IMHO) or have it go fast enough to get a new one.

I'm on a few much more friendly and helpful forums but I've certainly seen worse. EV's are still a car for folks with $$ to spend so there seems to be a lot more TypeA folks here than other places, but there is a lot of great information and fun projects too so don't be put off.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 pm

solvorn wrote:
The info may have been stated brusquely but essentially it was correct -- they gave you the update and now you wait to see if you meet the criteria. This topic has a history and folks are understandably dissatisfied with Nissan's handling of battery issues based on many interactions. That being said, I've thoroughly enjoyed both our LEAFs. I hope you enjoy yours.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm 'the initial reply guy" and I never said that the update and reset reset would 'only go to nine'. Here is what I wrote, again :
They won't replace the battery until the BMS update has been performed, and assuming that the display rises above 8 bars as it almost certainly will, it has once again dropped below 9. I suggest that you adjust your expectations to 'a new 40kwr battery sometime in the next year.'
I was correct. I'm sorry that one of the other posters was rude, but please don't conflate all of us with him. Most forums have at least one Grouch, but I do try to be both accurate and friendly. I suspect that having seen one rude reply, you misread that rudeness into several other posts, even though it wasn't there. Good luck (NOT sarcasm) with your likely free 40kwh battery replacement some time in the next year or so.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:23 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:34 am
You should also be aware that Nissan does not owe you a 40 kWh new battery by the warranty terms. All they have to do is bring your car range up to at least 9 capacity bars. They have done more in the past but that is their choice, not yours.
Despite the naysayers, both of these are correct.

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/N ... ooklet.pdf on page 8 says
This warranty covers any repairs needed to return battery capacity to a level of nine remaining bars on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge. If possible, the lithium-ion battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original lithium- ion battery will be returned to the vehicle. If nec- essary, the lithium-ion battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured lithium-ion battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your lithium-ion battery to an “as new” con- dition with all 12 battery capacity bars, but it will provide the vehicle with a capacity level of nine
(sorry about the wonky formatting... this is what happens w/copy/paste)

I haven't heard of Nissan installing used batteries as warranty replacements yet but they from day one of providing the capacity warranty (as a result of the Klee class action settlement) have left themselves the option to.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”