2016 leaf with very uncomfortable steering, sticks,

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve808

I just bought a used 2016 leaf with less than 29,000 miles, when I test drove it I thought I heard a little bit of plastic on plastic noise from the steering column, but stupidly didn’t take it out a long stretch on the highway. Now I’m discovering how horrible it feels to drive. It’s like it clicks when you’re going straight. As you adjust your position in the lane each movement of the steering wheel is like in small increments and sometimes there is a noticeable resistance. You can feel a little click to the left and actually hear a sound like plastic on plastic and then a little click to the right as you adjust again in the same clicking sound again.
It’s not so noticeable when you drive in town and are turning every couple blocks or on a curved road, but on a straight away, you can’t just drive with one hand, gently steering, you are fighting the resistance that wants to keep the car going straight.
I tried to contact the Nissan dealer, here on Maui, but they’re not taking any appointments until January 6 .

That does not sound normal at all. Would definitely get in touch with who you can to get it fixed/replaced.

Aloha!

You might inspect the gap between the back of the steering wheel hub and the steering column for foreign material or any misaligned parts, if you haven't already. The gap should be pretty uniform, and about 1/4" (eyeballed).

Also have a look around the steering shaft u-joint where it enters the floor near the pedals to see if anything is interfering there, although that's less likely to produce that sticky feeling.

I'm having the same issue with my 2016 Leaf. The mechanic checked out what he could without tearing the whole dash apart (hundreds of dollars apparently), and then couldn't assure me the problem could be solved at a moderate expense. Inflated my tires to 44psi, and that helped a bit, but it is still annoying and disappointing.

Love the care otherwise.

Back