I paid $5000 for this.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^
Good catch. OP, do you know the location history of this car (e.g. via Carfax and/or Autocheck)?

Assuming there wasn't an odometer rollback or it wasn't a battery reset victim but the car's on its 2nd main battery, the deal is so-so. '12 SV has no CHAdeMO and doesn't have many features that a '13 SV would or could have (e.g. CHAdeMO, hybrid heat pump heater, around view monitor, Bose stereo).

We need to know where the OP is located, and the climate there. Personally, I'm amazed that the car can communicate with Nissan's servers. A TCM update that works, on a 2012! The battery cells look ok, anyway.

Thank you, guys!

I'm in Southern California. It has DC fast charge and solar. I think the 1st owner opt for everything.
I bought this car from someone on CL without Carfax and Autocheck.

After getting insurance for the car.
My free Geico Carfax Maintainance shows that the Battery Pack is replaced on 6/10/16 at 45,705mi.

I believe the next 2 owners put another 50,000mi on it before me.
I am starting to doubt that the battery's capacity is 11 bars.
After 50,000mi, could it be missing only missing one bar?

Yes, why is the Odo showing 0 on Leaf Spy?
"My Leaf" App could not get the daily and monthly statistics too.
How to fix this?
Thank you!

Since the replacement battery is the most excellent "Lizard" pack, it is believable that it has 11 bars. Heating, along with time, is what counts most towards degradation with the Lizards. Still, keep an eye on the LeafSpy readings for a month. Do you have the most recent version of the app?

johnnybegoode said:
I'm in Southern California. It has DC fast charge and solar. I think the 1st owner opt for everything.
If it has the DC fast charge inlet and solar panel on the rear spoiler, it's not an SV. It's an SL. Only SL trims have the solar panel. On '12, you couldn't get the CHAdeMO Inlet w/o going to SL.

johnnybegoode said:
My free Geico Carfax Maintainance shows that the Battery Pack is replaced on 6/10/16 at 45,705mi.

It's not the mileage that counts, unless it's excessive.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269&p=551301&hilit=mild#p551301 hit 100K miles w/all 12 bars due to their mild climate and better chemistry + having to live thru 1 less hot summer.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24023&p=496269&hilit=phoenix+contrast#p496269 points to a 4 bar loser in Phoenix at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=473995#p473995. He lost his 4th bar on 8/23/2016.

He has the same build month as me. My 5/2013 built '13 Leaf (same month as his) in a milder climate is still at 11 bars at 68K miles. My 1st bar went away in Nov 2017.
johnnybegoode said:
Something that doesn't add up to me is that inside the car, it is still showing 11bars - 78mi range in Drive mode
and 83mi range in ECO mode while ConnectEV shows 66 and 78.
The GOM is useless. Ignore it.
johnnybegoode said:
Do you think there are some BMS reset hack to make it shows 11 bars to help the seller sell the car?
It's possible. Only way to know is to see if your car rapidly loses additional capacity bars over the next few months.

Example time frame of a reset victim:
http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/11/buyers-beware-this-is-must-read.html
http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/12/update-saga-of-vin-222-resolved.html

All the Apps are the latest.
"Leaf Spy" can't read the odometer
"My Leaf" can't read the daily and monthly statistic and cannot locate car.
Do you think that it has to be something I have to do inside the car?
Maybe doing something on the "Trip Computer"?

The odometer issue may (or may not) be related to the 99k mile reading. As I've mentioned, the car's original telematics unit is obsolete, and must have been replaced, to communicate with Nissan's servers. The replacement units are glitchy, and can even kill the 12 volt accessory battery, by not shutting down properly when the car is off.

I'd say that range looks pretty realistic for a 24kwh battery that has SOH of 78%. New the range is only rated at 73 miles.

Is there any equivalent of LeafSpy, or a version of LeafSpy,
that saves long term history to a public site. In other words, could I opt in to reporting battery capacity over time
into a public record that could become part of CarFax or whatever?

Driver8 said:
I'd say that range looks pretty realistic for a 24kwh battery that has SOH of 78%. New the range is only rated at 73 miles.

brycenesbitt said:
Is there any equivalent of LeafSpy, or a version of LeafSpy,
that saves long term history to a public site. In other words, could I opt in to reporting battery capacity over time
into a public record that could become part of CarFax or whatever?

A year or two ago someone tried to set that up through this forum but my impression was that of little interest.
A national EV advocacy organization (name escapes me for the moment) tries to do the same but if you look at the data it is evident that few people bother to participate these days.

The only active public site I know of is for Tesla cars.

Usually, when you see that wide variety of errors, it's from a low 12 volt battery. That isn't to say that there isn't something real in there, just that you have to eliminate the accessory battery issue, clear the codes, and then see what persists, if anything. It may take several tries, and disconnecting the 12 volt battery, to get them to clear. If that 12 volt battery isn't virtually new, I'd get a new, 51R configuration battery - preferably an AGM type, as those batteries are more tolerant of deep discharges. Make sure it's fully charged before installing it.

Which code should I clear?
Charger
EV/HEV
TCU
or everything?

On a side note, I tried ChadeMO earlier and the Odometer shows up on Leaf Spy.
When I trickle charge again, the Odo goes back to 0.

johnnybegoode said:
Thank you, guys!

Yes, why is the Odo showing 0 on Leaf Spy?
"My Leaf" App could not get the daily and monthly statistics too.
How to fix this?
Thank you!

At 78% SOH, it should have only bar missing. It's close to losing another. I guess its all about range. Can you live with 50 miles a day? It will go farther but pushing the limits will make it degrade faster.

Back