Looking at buying an EV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocko

Hi there. I hope to buy an EV later this year, and the Nissan Leaf is an increasingly likely candidate. I thought I would sign up here and get a feel for things before committing myself.

Add your location to your profile, as the LEAF isn't always a good choice if you live in a hot climate. Also, it wouldn't hurt to provide your budget, trim preferences, and target model year.

Other basic (not about the car) information:

1. Use case
2. Other cars, other drivers in family
3. Top two reasons for considering EV (environment, EV ride, money savings are common choices)
4. Charging at home, charging away from home

There is a lot of knowledge here but if you have an EV group of some kind near you we will often talk to you and give you rides or whatever in the different cars. We have many different cars here. The groups are owners and have nothing to sell. Often they have online groups like on facebook so you can ask them how cars do in your area.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your home/work/destinations?

Thanks, guys. I am looking to buy a new e+ N-Connecta. My main reason for going down the EV route is the cost-saving and the fact that UK legislation will make them the only vehicles available to buy. I currently do two or three 80 mile journeys a week (highway miles) and 7 miles/5 days a week urban driving, but all that will change soon. I will need a car for city driving for shopping and such—just a few miles a day, with the odd 80-mile trip perhaps once a month.
I will be charging at home.

This forum is somewhat US centric.

https://www.whatcar.com/nissan/leaf/hatchback/160kw-e-n-connecta-62kwh-5dr-auto/96064

In my opinion: This car would work well with your use case.

Jocko said:
Thanks, guys. I am looking to buy a new e+ N-Connecta.

I think that's the equivalent of a SV Plus in NA. If so, you really don't need a 62 kWh pack, based on your use case, but I'd you can afford it then more power to you. If I was in your shoes, I'd look for a used 2018 N-Connecta as the 40 kWh pack has plenty of range for the 80 mile trips you mentioned.

Most people should try for the cheaper 150 mile range Leafs (40 kWH) if they don't want to pay thousands of euros or pounds or lira or doubloons extra for range they rarely use. Or, if you have access to a petrol vehicle for long trips, then an EV can be used 90% of the time during a given week.

And the 40 kWH model is 300 lbs lighter, like leaving a Sumo Wrestler at home (he never likes trips anyway).

Back