CHADEMO to CCS?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wozza60

Hi Guys, new to Nissan Leaf (Just bought one). Is it possible to connect the DC Chademo connector to CCS via an after market cable? 8KW CCS is too slow... :D

Not that I know of, and not likely.

Chademo and CCS use different communication methods and messages. It might be possible to have a small computer that would pretend to be a CCS car on the CCS side, and a Chademo charger on the other side, and control a power relay to make the real connection once everyone is ready. A large amount of software development and testing would be needed. This isn't a cheap or simple cable.

WetEV said:
Not that I know of, and not likely.

Chademo and CCS use different communication methods and messages. It might be possible to have a small computer that would pretend to be a CCS car on the CCS side, and a Chademo charger on the other side, and control a power relay to make the real connection once everyone is ready. A large amount of software development and testing would be needed. This isn't a cheap or simple cable.

Yes, as Cademo slowly fade of into oblivion.. will be necessary. :shock:

Wozza60 said:
2021 Australian Leaf support 6.6Kw CCS and 50Kw DC Chademo fast charge.
It's Type 2 AC connector and a CHAdeMO DC connector. Type 2 and CCS are different things; CCS ports have a type 2 connector, but not all Type 2 ports have the CCS DC connector (2 large DC pins and all the protocol that goes with).

Picture1.jpg

coulomb said:
Wozza60 said:
It's Type 2 AC connector and a CHAdeMO DC connector. Type 2 and CCS are different things; CCS ports have a type 2 connector, but not all Type 2 ports have the CCS DC connector (2 large DC pins and all the protocol that goes with).

Yep, although CCS2 is Type 2 + DC pins so it is not too surprising that OP is mistakenly calling the AC port 'CCS'

Wozza60 said:

The connector on the right in the photo above is a J1772 connector. As mentioned, CCS incorporates this connector, but the LEAF cannot use CCS. Wow--I just confused myself.

So your specifications should read that the LEAF supports 6.6 kW J1772 charging (not CCS) and 50 kW DC CHAdeMO fast charge.

I just saw on Wikipedia that a CHAdeMO 2.0 specification allows for up to 400 kW at 1000 V. I wonder if this will be implemented on LEAFs, and if this suggests a continued CHAdeMO future.

This is a CCS plug and connector:

efacec-s-first-350-kw-ccs-combo-dc-fast-chargers-already-up-amp-running.jpg

PrairieLEAF said:
Wozza60 said:

The connector on the right in the photo above is a J1772 connector. As mentioned, CCS incorporates this connector, but the LEAF cannot use CCS. Wow--I just confused myself.
Australia uses the Type 2 connector for AC charging, not the J1772

As a further visual aid, https://greentransportation.info/ev-charging/range-confidence/chap8-tech/ev-dc-fast-charging-standards-chademo-ccs-sae-combo-tesla-supercharger-etc.html has some pics.

Under "China’s fast charging system(s)", Type 2-Germany is Mennekes Type 2, is in wide use in Europe. The Type1 in that table is our J1772.

Under "DC Fast charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, Supercharger, China", in Europe, their CCS plug is Combo2, which is Mennekes Type 2 up top + two extra pins.

In the US, our CCS flavor is Combo1 aka SAE Combo which is J1772 up top + 2 extra pins below.

Back