Odd Noise With ePedal Engaged

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subdjoe

We just picked up our 2021 Leaf Thursday evening. We were just out for a drive, had the e-Pedal engaged. Put down the passenger-side rear window and was hearing a thutter, about like a Huey UH-1 that we didn't hear with the window up. It started at about 20 mph and got louder and faster as we went to 45 mph. Is this just breaking it in? Or is it an item of concern?

subdjoe said:
We just picked up our 2021 Leaf Thursday evening. We were just out for a drive, had the e-Pedal engaged. Put down the passenger-side rear window and was hearing a thutter, about like a Huey UH-1 that we didn't hear with the window up. It started at about 20 mph and got louder and faster as we went to 45 mph. Is this just breaking it in? Or is it an item of concern?

Aerodynamics, does that in many cars when you roll down the rear window of any vehicle. You've never noticed that in other vehicles before? :?:

Yes--apparently, it's called Helmholtz Resonance!

It sounds like aerodynamic cars are especially susceptible.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15344069/explained-that-weird-throbbing-when-you-open-one-car-window/

Welcome!

As mentioned, it sounds like an effect of aerodynamics.
I have seen it in my 2018 Leaf and 2018 Odyssey. It's worse on my Leaf than on my Odyssey.

I control it on my Leaf by either:
* Opening the front passenger window slightly, while having both rear windows opened. I do this when taking my dogs out for a drive.
* Opening the front passenger window about 1/2 way, while having the rear passenger window opened.

I'm familiar with it too, but I've mainly encountered it with all or most windows close to wide open. I didn't associate it with one window being rolled down.

Back