Our first LeafSpy readings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knightmb said:
I guess the obvious question would be what year / trim level Leaf are you driving? :mrgreen:

Sorry about that, chief! 2016 base model, 24kwh pack. 33k miles. We currently get nearly 100 mile range in Eco/B mode, nearly all non-freeway driving. We charge at 240v from a 50a circuit into a modified Nissan EVSE.

That's great range for a 24kWh pack. You must be a sensible driver and as mentioned, not driving at freeway speeds helps a lot.

Expect significantly less mileage in the winter since 1) you will need to use the main battery to heat the car and 2) the battery loses some capacity when it is cold.

Also, Li batteries last longest when not operated near either extreme of full/empty charge. The worst case is full charge (100% SOC) at high temperature. Avoid those conditions as much as possible but be sensible about it. You can spend a lot of time babying the car but it is just a car after all and it won't last forever no matter how it is used.

All in all, it looks like the car is in good shape.

Yep, I think we really got lucky with this one, our first (but definitely not our last) EV. Looking forward to many years of happy locomotion!

Nearly +2000 L2 charges and only +34K miles :lol: Looks like my wife's Leafspy, she tops her Leaf off with OCD powers to make sure it never gets under 100% SOC. :roll:

knightmb said:
Nearly +2000 L2 charges and only +34K miles :lol: Looks like my wife's Leafspy, she tops her Leaf off with OCD powers to make sure it never gets under 100% SOC. :roll:

My wife, who is the sole driver of our Leaf, tops up every evening because she has to — she never knows how much driving around her work with brain-damaged kids will require next day. She may drive 30 miles or 90 miles on any random day. That’s just her reality. The very last thing in this fallen world she wants is to run out of power on some rural road with a screaming, flailing, inconsolable five year-old in a 19 year-old body in the back seat. If that image doesn’t inspire range anxiety, I don’t know what will.

Go with what works. I might roll my eyes at my wife for doing it, but you have a good reason for it, mine doesn't usually, but she makes the same argument you just made about never knowing when needing the maximum range.

OP: if you are charging to 100% SoC in the summer, I suggest you charge in the early AM hours so that the car does not sit at 100% for long, and the battery has had a while to cool off.

My wife would also charge to 100% every day if I did not object. I remind her that she has never driven more than 40 miles in a day since we brought the LEAF home in Jan 2017, and should the impossible happen she can always stop for a charge. One of the advantages of being retired and not having children in the back seat.

Hey all, sorry to vent. Some of the **** these “kids” are capable of would make you lose your lunch.

Range anxiety is just a reality we will all have to accept as early adopters. In a few years, affordable EVs will all have a 300+ mile range and none of these speed bumps on the road of progress will be an issue.

I just saw a sweet white 2021 Leaf Plus at our Nissan dealership. EPA 215 mile range. Federal tax credit still available. Hmmm.

Wavebender said:
I just saw a sweet white 2021 Leaf Plus at our Nissan dealership. EPA 215 mile range. Federal tax credit still available. Hmmm.
If my 2020 SL Plus is any indication, the 215 miles will be highway speeds (70 mph), so if you are driving around town or some local town to town driving at 55 mph and under range, full charge miles is quite a bit higher.

Back