New 2012 owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witzend

Hey everyone,
I'm brand new here, although I've dreamed of owning an all electric vehicle for literally decades.
These might be really obvious questions, but I'll throw them out there anyway.
I picked up this 2012 Leaf from a co-worker for almost nothing because he could no longer deal with the limited range, but it's perfect for my around-town second vehicle.
Obviously the Carwings will no longer connect due to the old 2G cell modem in the car, and from what I've read, even the 3G is (a) limited, and (b) retiring soon as well.

Is there any way to connect Carwings via a home wifi, or cellphone hotspot, or something like that?
If not, can I just tell the car to permanently work "offline"?
Should I just look at OVMS?
Can the maps and/or navi-media software/firmware be upgraded via the SD card?

Thanks for any help you all can offer. I'm really enjoying the quiet ride of new-to-me Leaf. It's got a usable range of at least 40 miles, and probably farther if I drive conservatively, which is enough for me (for right now)

It's refreshing to see a post like this from a new Gen 1.0 Leaf driver who isn't appalled at the low range and desperately looking for a fix that isn't there. Welcome. As for your question: no, I'm afraid you can't connect Carwings / Nissan Connect through WiFi - that's one of Nissan's numerous omissions in the Leaf design. What function(s) are you looking to use? Remote climate control?

Isn't there a 3rd party solution for remote access? I know I've seen it mentioned somewhere on this forum to help with the people losing the 3G connections in their Gen 1 Leaf.

Thanks! Yeah, the remote climate control would be nice. Mostly, though, it would be nice to update the list of local charging stations and map resources, etc.

I've never had them before, though, so I'm sure I can live without them. For now I'm enjoying digging through this forum. Some great stuff here.

And yeah, 40 miles of range covers almost everything I could ever need for errands around town. I still have my fossil fuel car for my daily commute, which is about 90 miles round trip. This Leaf won't even come close to that. Some day I'll be able to afford a newer better EV, but not today.

Welcome to board. Enjoy the car. We still miss our old 2013 Leaf at times (we moved to a 2019) as the interior has some positives.

Pump those tires to 40psi, and learn how to glide to stretch that range.

Please post the fun you have with the car.

Funny you should mention the tires. I spent this morning going through the car, vacuuming, etc, and one of the things I did was to air up the tires to ~40psi. =)

Back