First Winter with Leaf: Battery pack warmer power source?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wavebender

It’s getting pretty cold up here in Boise and we are seeing a drop in range on our 2016 base model. Got me to wondering if the battery pack warmer power is drawn from the pack itself or from the 12v battery?

Main HV pack but it should only kick in when the actual pack temp nears 0F, if you're running the heat much that's where the power is going.

Nearing a decision on a 2022 SV Plus, but I'm lucky now that my trips are short (usually 25 miles or so) and will be trickle charging (happy battery, happy me...:)). On cold days and nights I'll probably leave the 120v charger connected as a "keep warm" for the systems. Don't want to assume it also runs the pack heater as well, so a confirmation that it does would be good :).

The Plus Leafs don't seem to have a battery warmer. Instead they use a small power load on the battery to warm it. I suggest that you do NOT leave the car plugged in when not charging, as a lot of that can kill the 12 volt battery. If you can connect a 12 volt battery maintainer/charger, do that instead.

Thanks, for that. Probably a resistance heater in the pack, and I'll do some poking around in Nissan's tech literature. Depending on the how they designed the 12v aux battery charge circuit. Possible overcharge maybe. Not too worried about undue 12v battery drain, but on cold nights, would be good to keep the battery pack from getting too chilly.

Actually, 2019 manual recommends plugging in when cold for 62 kWh battery. There is another thread about battery heaters so I am trying to research and may need to change my posts there. FWIW, I have never connected an external 12V battery charger to any of my LEAF's. The DC-DC converter charges the 12V battery while driving and while charging the traction battery. It will not overcharge the 12V battery unless someone disconnects the current sensor near the negative terminal of the 12V battery. The car will also turn on the DC-DC converter as necessary to charge the 12V battery while parked for extended time.

Back