Charging UK using a 16a camper socket?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoKa

We are in the process of buying a 2015 Leaf Acenta 24kWh and I’m trying to do as much research as possible before we finalise the purchase at the dealer. I’ve read through the excellent buyers guide (thanks LeftieBiker) and done a quick search but can’t see this answered anywhere.

We have both 13Amp regular 3 pin UK 240V sockets and a blue 16Amp campervan type socket in our garage on the same (but separate from the house) RCD/consumer unit. I have a small (like 8inch of cable maybe) extender/converter cable to plug into the 16Amp wall socket and then have a regular domestic 3-pin uk plug socket at the other end. I’m pretty sure there’s no actual conversion or downgrading of the amperage happening in this setup.

8CEADA84-856D-4E63-9DEF-74972C8EABC0.jpeg

So, my question is: would there be any value in terms of charging speed in using the 16Amp socket with converting cable and the standard domestic (type 1?) cable that is coming with my Leaf, or would I get the same power/speed because of the domestic plug?

And secondly, would there be any potential damage in doing this, given that they recommend not using extension cables for charging?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Loving the forum - I suspect I’ll be here quite a lot in the next few weeks/months/years. :lol:

Kath

No, there will not be any difference in charging speed using the standard charging cable.

A home charging station like Pod Point or similar will give you 16 A (or 32A if your car is equipped with the 6.6 kW-charger). Didn't you use to have a government grant or something in the UK for the installation of a home charging station?

kaiat said:
A home charging station like Pod Point or similar will give you 16 A (or 32A if your car is equipped with the 6.6 kW-charger).
Attached to a 16 Amp receptacle ?
Perhaps you meant hard wired, but then I'd expect the EVSE to be limited (and have to conform to) the wiring and breaker.

OP, keep this big picture in mind: maximum charging power is set by the *slowest* component in the chain (car, EVSE, wiring, breaker.)
A 16 Amp chain is good for 6.4 kW (16*0.23*sqrt(3) ) if the feed is 415v

... I think

Back