Leaf in Canada & Other Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewy13

Greetings everyone from up here in Canada! :)

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on when the release of the Leaf is scheduled for Canada and where//what quantities?
I've heard Vancouver said as one of the main launch sites for the Leaf? Will it be coming anywhere else in Canada? I'm in Northern Ontario so I'd suspect that I'd have to goto Southern Ontario to get this car, however it'd be nice if Thunder Bay's dealership were to get a few. I've yet to go there to inquire but I plan to soon.

Anyone else from this forum from Canada got any information to share in regards to the Leaf?

Thanks guys, and don't be too hard on the new guy eh? :D

Vacouver, BC makes immense sense to Nissan - that will complete the western corridor.

BTW, from what we are seeing here - I think Nissan likes launching the whole state at once.

I do not see "whole state" launching, even though that might be preferred.

I see rather local or regional government & power company partnerships that facilitate the infrastructure-building process. Without that, the building permit and paperwork approval hurdle is often too ponderous and expensive to deal with, especially when there are other "areas" that are willing to cooperate and streamline the charger-install process.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys :eek: :shock: :lol:

Well looking into more news shows that pre-orders already exceed their capacity here in North America so I think I can delay my visit to my local dealership for a bit. :|
Still, is it worth it to see your dealer even if you are out of the "release" area? Show interest in such a car in this area?
Where I'm from most people drive ICE vehicles because of our cold winters, hauling of a trailer/sled or quad, and long distances between our towns/cities. But mind you battery tech is getting better and why not only drive your ICE car/truck when needed for the distance or other "heavy duty" tasks?
Only problem I really see is lacking the infrastructure here for such cars, unless the government of Canada is going to make a real effort installing these Fast Charge Stations nationwide... I suppose it all depends on Vancouver success with them? Either that or perhaps I have new business idea for the future here :lol:

Anyways, I'm HIGHLY interested in the coming success of this car, as I'm sure everyone else here on this forum is. :geek:

Just wondering if anyone has looked into insurance rates for both ownership of the car verses leasing? Heard my plan for leasing might be sunk in the water... which just means I'll have to wait longer before I can get in on the bandwagon with everyone else, unless my investment in lotto tickets pay off! :lol: Unlikely :roll:

Thanks guys, looking forward to becoming part of the EV community and hopefully a Leafer too.

Hello Stewy and welcome!

How perfect is a car in Red, named the Leaf, for Canada!! :)

Here is a link to the Canadian Leaf page from Nissan. Please let us put you on our map....we have no Canadian Leafers on it yet! Looks lonely ;)

http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/future_vehicles/en/Leaf.html?gclid=CIn0qe6wvaACFSZo5QodsHT0Vw

Actually I do want mine in red! :lol: Never thought of it either but I could name my car Maple too ;)

I'd even drive one under contract if it were just to promote it, but I know that ain't happening :roll: But I'm sure we'd all are wished the same ourselves ;)

PS - Link provided didn't exactly lead to a site to where I could label myself on a map. I'm going to look myself and see if I can find it.

Edit: Found link in the forum which lead to;
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=101695356237695844500.000485571a29e01b60343
Hoping I did it right. Can someone confirm? Should be the only one in Canada at this point. Ontario, Northern Ontario.

Yay! :cool:

Update!

So I was doing a quick search on Google last night and it looks like Ontario has the biggest incentives for Electric Vehicles going; a $10,000 rebate :eek:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE56E50F20090715
Mind you this is a 2009 article, far as I can tell it's still on-track for July 1st 2010.

Pretty sweet, but knowing that the Leaf won't exactly be mass produced until 2012 when the other factories come online, it feels like right place wrong time :roll: Typical.
It also looks like there will be some exciting things ahead for Toronto with talks of infrastructure going up for charging stations and apparently I'm missing out on a demonstration going on down there (I'll have to look into that).

So somewhat exciting news, if it holds until the Leaf hits Canada or Ontario.

I'm composing an e-mail to my local Nissan dealer to inquire about this.
I'm not exactly sure what all to ask, because I know the soonest time I'd be able to get one is whenever Vancouver gets one, but thats where the questions start;
Do I have to goto that dealership in Vancouver and figure out leasing terms or do I deal with my local dealership?
I know the bonus of dealing with my local dealership is the fact that they'd ship it from there so I wasn't forced to ride through half of Canada for a week or two to get back with my car, but that comes with a price too...
Also would leasing the vehicle from a Vancouver dealership void out Ontario's rebate?
Will Nissan even factor the rebate into the lease here in Ontario AND/OR can Ontario's rebate apply to leasing a vehicle vs purchase?

My last question I believe the answer is it should because as I understood it, leasing it means Nissan "bought" a electric vehicle in Ontario, they just happen to be "renting" it to you.

So here's hoping for some good answers soon :geek:

Do you get anything from national government ?

Nissan was kind of hinting until they step in they won't sell in Canada.

Ofcource one option is to buy it in US (if you can manage a US address).

@evnow
Not sure what the federal government has, I'll look into that.

No plans to buy at first, leasing seems the way to go. Buying would require me to be blown away in a test drive.
I'm a young student, so budget is a bit limited which is why I'm content with waiting until it comes here in Canada.
Gives me time to get some finical backing and see how things go with those lucky to be in forward progressing areas...I mean roll-out areas :p But I hope things go great and it spreads like widefire :cool:

Helping spread the "fire":
I hope to visit my local buiding department this week to see what they know about permits for EVSE installations.

Maybe I will see what it would take for me to "pull" a permit and get the wiring started by installing a sub-panel inside the garage, near the in-wall main panel. Or, perhaps replace the old 150-amp main panel with one of higher rating.

WanderingMonkey said:
Found this thread through a google search and decided to register. I'm from a little suburb just 20 miles east of Vancouver, Canada. How do I get myself a pin on this lovely map?

See the 1st page of this thread for details.

Back