Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Re: Fluctuating and erratic estimated miles range

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:01 pm

GaslessInSeattle wrote: From what I've gathered so far, measuring charge left in a battery is much different than actually getting a reading of the level of gas left in an ICE vehicle's tank, there is no way to accurately measure the true amount of electricity left in a battery on the fly.
Its easy to measure how many kwh are left in the tank, but again its next to useless to predict the remaining range.. the computer has no idea what you will do next. When the Leaf arrives in flat states with sane hwy speeds you will have less complaints about range prediction.

mpm3710
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4775

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:09 pm

kevinwang1 wrote:I'm not sure if this is the behavior of all Leaf's or just my Leaf. I've found the miles available on my dashboard erratic. For example, I fully charge my Leaf at work. I start car and see 100 Miles. I start driving home (10 miles) and after a few miles the dash indicates 85 miles. I've seen this repeatedly where the miles drop by 5-10 miles after just driving a few miles (no air conditioning, no extreme weather, etc). Is this normal behavior? Thanks.
Even with ideal weather conditions and not use the A/C, heat or even the fan, the terrain your driving can make a huge difference. Even if it doesn't look it to your perspection and not noticing the long gradual incline, and your dots are just a few in usage you can be holding at a range that hasn't change immediately because sometimes it takes a minute for the re-calculation to catch up and then boom, it catches up and you lost a significant amount of range. This to me seems typical for the Leaf's behavior. The calculations are never dead on. It does it's best.
Blue Ocean SL-Etec QC
Reserved 4/20/10
Ordered 10/28/10
Delivered 6/26/11
EV Project Blink L2 installed 6/16/11

walterbays
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:35 pm

GaslessInSeattle wrote:You hear many complaints about this system, but I have to say I find it valuable in letting me know how my current and most recent driving is effecting overall efficiency
+1

In the morning I reset the trip odometer and note the estimated range in D and in ECO, and figure I'll get something in between those numbers. By the time I get to the bottom of the hill the est range is way up but I don't count on it. By the time I get off the highway the est range is way down but I don't worry about it. Sometime later the sum of odometer plus estimated range is usually back in between my original D and ECO numbers. At the end of the day I watch the estimated range creep down as I ascend the hill, to settle usually just where the morning numbers predicted.

TonyWilliams

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Check out the "Range Estimate" link in my signature:

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”