Knock on wood; but we have had zero reports of units being stolen. Definitely record your serial number on the back of the unit in a safe place so you have some information in the event your unit goes missing.
It's possible for us to order a new J1772 cable/handle assembly for you if someone cuts or steals the cable/handle, but there is no way to replace the base unit itself, so place priority on securing it if you suspect if may be in danger.
The most likely scenario is copper thieves wanting your cable, as very few evil-doers are going to know the value of the EVSE.
The best security you can have on the EVSE is to make it as inconspicuous as possible so opportunity thieves won't be inspired. Here are some tips:
1. Fold your charge door down on the handle while charging in public. There is a little rubber bumper for this purpose. This will hide the handle at least and reduce visual impact.
2. Pull nose-in if possible to hide as much as possible.
3. Tuck excess cord away so it looks like less cabling.
4. Turn the EVSE over on it's face, or cover with gaffers tape so the lights are not visible. The pretty colors attract!
5. Use a padlock in the EVSE handle and/or lock the unit with a chain through the 4 holes. Master Lock #630D is a combination lock that has no keys to lose and fits well.