jpa2825
Delivery Date: 25 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 022029

Re: Central Ohio Leaf owners?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm

cmschafer wrote:Hello everyone, as a fellow EV driver (Volt) and member of AEP Ohio’s gridSMART® electric vehicle deployment team, I’ve really enjoyed the great discussions on this thread. Being responsible for the deployment of the Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Easton chargers, I want to address a few points made in the thread below…hopefully to clarify our intentions for the chargers and make the chargers easier to use for our participants and general public.

The Walmart, Sam’s club, and Easton chargers are all free to the public at least until the end of 2013 (the end of AEP Ohio’s project). We are unsure if the host sites will begin to charge for electricity in 2014. Each person using the chargers must first swipe a Blink card to activate the charger. The charger will tell you that you will be billed $0/kWh. The user must acknowledge the message on the screen and the charger will activate. The customer service desks at Walmart and Sam’s now have temporary cards to activate the charger if a customer doesn’t have a card yet. We recently provided them with new cards.
We have also installed a new charger in the AEP Ohio headquarters parking lot for public use. However, users of this charger must pay a fee of $1 or $2 per hour, depending on the membership option you chose with Blink. The address is 850 Tech Center Drive in Gahanna.

Regarding other programs in the AEP Ohio gridSMART® area, there are several rate and bill credit programs that customers with Smart Meters can take advantage of. I’ve found that the Smart ShiftSM and Smart Shift PlusSM rate programs work well for my family and car charging. You may also be eligible to receive a free eViewSM device, to see your instant usage, or even a free programmable thermostat to better control your heating and cooling. Depending on your situation, you could save some money on your electricity usage. Visit http://www.gridsmartohio.com to find out more.

Chris Schafer
Thanks for chiming in and for your and AEP's support of the EV community. Just wondering, how far is AEP's reach in Central Ohio? I work in West Chester (between Cincinnati & Dayton) and the paucity of charging options compared to Columbus is depressing. Trying to get the LL of my company's building to even install / authorize use of a 120v outlet, much less install a charger, has been maddening.
2012 Cayenne Red SL
ODO: 46 upon pickup; ~23k in AUG 2014; 39k in NOV 2015

cmschafer
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2012

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 am

jpa2825 wrote: Thanks for chiming in and for your and AEP's support of the EV community. Just wondering, how far is AEP's reach in Central Ohio? I work in West Chester (between Cincinnati & Dayton) and the paucity of charging options compared to Columbus is depressing. Trying to get the LL of my company's building to even install / authorize use of a 120v outlet, much less install a charger, has been maddening.
Toward the direction of West Chester, AEP Ohio service territory only reaches slightly beyond Franklin county.

I completely understand your pain about workplace charging. From my experience, some employers are hesitant to allow charging or install chargers for a couple reasons:

1. They may not understand the technology and are fearful of the impact to their electricity bill. A simple calculation can show them that a couple EVs charging all day probably won’t even be noticed on their electricity bill.
2. There may be issues with equality of benefits among employees (i.e. Why should EVs get free electricity, but people with gas vehicles don’t get free gas?) To overcome this issue, some employers charge a fee to EV drivers to offset the electricity usage so it’s not considered a benefit.
3. Many employers lack a mechanism to collect a fee for charging. Within some AEP locations, we charge employees for parking, so we have the mechanism already in place to deduct charging fees from employees’ paychecks. A possible way around the fee collection issue: Employers could install a networked Level II charger and have the charger manufacturer take care of the billing.
4. Some employers may view chargers and electrical work as cost prohibitive. There may be grants available for charger installation. Clean Fuels Ohio may have info on grants available in Ohio. Also, Coulomb Technologies is offering a free charger to businesses with 50 or more employees at the location.

Good luck with the charging!
Chris

hansr220
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2012

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Hello All,

Another new Leaf owner here in Columbus! Almost 3 weeks now, without ever being at a gas station is awesome. I am on the SmartGrid of AEP, and love the new thermostat and Eview reader. I'm currently just using the trickle charger supplied with the car, and it fully charges each night with no problem from my 110 outlet! yea!

I've recently noticed the heater does not work in manual mode. I have always just used the heated steering wheel (that sold the car) and seats. I'd hit the defrost for 30 seconds to clear the windshield and turn it back off again, because I hate to see that 10 mile range drop as soon as the heater is activated.

I'd suggest we rally somewhere, a Panera or some other joint where we can compare notes, without typing all of them.

My employer will not let me plug in the little trickle charger, although ladies have heaters under their desks. Plus, we have probably 30 outdoor outlets available, darn! However, I'm not had any problem with range other than the date of purchase, which I won't go into now. Good luck, and good to know we have this forum too!

Hans Kohles
2012 SL - Silver

SalisburySam
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm

hansr220 wrote:Another new Leaf owner here in Columbus!

I'd suggest we rally somewhere, a Panera or some other joint where we can compare notes, without typing all of them.

Hans Kohles
2012 SL - Silver
Hello Hans, and welcome to the world of LEAF in Columbus. My LEAF will be one year old at the end of next month and I still love it!

I'd love to get together and discuss sometime...I'm on the East side in Blacklick. Let me know times/dates good for you.
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,500 miles, 9 bars, 30-mile max range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July, 2018 | 12,500 miles
Get 1000 miles free Supercharging: https://ts.la/john70942

Docpec
Delivery Date: 24 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 025581

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Hey Bob.
Where do you want to meet??? I'm near the polaris area and could meet anywhere. Would like to meet other Leaf owners and get some insight into using the Nav system more efficeintly.
doc

SalisburySam
Gold Member

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Docpec wrote:Where do you want to meet???
Just as a target, how about the Starbuck's in downtown New Albany (220 Market St., on the square)?

I'm pretty available and as a suggestion, how about 10:30am either this Thursday (Jan 31) or Friday (Feb 1)? Can also do evenings if more convenient for you.

I've got lots of ideas on the embedded NAV system, but the best one, I think, is to buy a separate GPS. Let me also refer you to another topic in this forum on the subject:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11198

By the way, if you have an iPad or iPhone, and if you haven't already done so, download the free app "LEAF Link" from the AppStore. There are apps for other devices; I just don't have experience with them.

I look forward to meeting you doc...

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving

Docpec
Delivery Date: 24 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 025581

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Sorry, I will be out of pocket for a couple of days. I will contct you when i get back and we can make arrangements to meet. Sorry about the mixup.
Doc

SalisburySam
Gold Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

No problem. Just PM me and I'll forward my phone #.

deltwalrus
Delivery Date: 05 Oct 2012

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 am

How has the cold weather been affecting your ranges here?

SalisburySam
Gold Member

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 am

deltwalrus wrote:How has the cold weather been affecting your ranges here?
Hard to say exactly, but less range for sure. Your 50-mile commute should still be do-able on an 80% charge, certainly on 100%, but you'd definitely want to pre-heat before leaving home, and use the heater on the way sparingly. Once pre-heated, you'll be surprised at how well the seat and steering wheel heaters do without impacting range. Key is to keep the cabin heater use minimal. If you can charge at work and pre-heat for the trip home, so much the better, even at 110v.

All that said, most of my trips are much shorter and I go with full heat all the time.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”