GRA

Re: California, allies ready for emission-law war with Trump EPA, CARB head says

Sat May 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:51 pm
When I Google search "worst air quality in the country" the top 6 or 7 spots are California according to the American Heart and lung association.

Where did I claim topography had nothing to do with air pollution?

You've repeatedly chosen to ignore it by castigating California for having a large % of cities with the worst air quality in the country, as if everyone were on a level playing field. It appears you are now agreeing that the local conditions in the areas of the state with the worst pollution are tougher to deal with than is the case elsewhere, which is progress.

Because I'm pretty sure I said "they have known what causes smog for 70 years" one of those things being local air movement or the lack there of.
Now what do you think we have control over:
The lack of air movement that traps smog over a city?
The topography?
Or what we burn, how much, how it's burned and where?
If you know of a way to get the air moving that would be pretty cool.
I guess we could use millions of tons of blasting agents to remove mountains and haul away rubble in rock trucks that burn 1,000 gallons of diesel per shift, but how environmentally friendly is that?

I was wondering if you'd suggest an "Atoms for Peace" approach, several nukes to knock the Tehachapis down by a couple thousand feet.

Checking the source, the ALA says the major cause of California's poor air quality is . . . PM from wildfires. You know, the ones made far worse by the AGCC that Dear Leader claims is a Chinese hoax. We certainly do need to increase management fires when possible, but as has been pointed out to you before, most (57%) of California's forests are national forests, i.e. federal land.

We don't have the worst air quality in the nation and I would say they are doing pretty good for only smog testing vehicles made after 1983 and not having our own special emissions standards.
Oh and I know enforcement totally sucks, have seen plenty of junkers that were made well after 1983 around Albuquerque and Las cruces that would never pass any kind of emissions test.
The best place to start would be to enforce the laws they have now.

NM is doing pretty good, with two cities in the top 30 despite your lack of population? Yet you said it would be fine if California's oldest, dirtiest trucks which can no longer be registered here were moved to New Mexico, while simultaneously criticizing California for incrementalism.

I'm pretty sure my leaf would pass and I bet my wife's 2018 Hyundai hybrid would pass of they went state wide.

New mexico also ranks in the bottom 5 or 6 for electric vehicle sales and has almost no public charging out side the big cities. There's a bit of room for improvement there.

There's plenty of room for improvement in every state of the union, and every country in the world.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: California, allies ready for emission-law war with Trump EPA, CARB head says

Sun May 10, 2020 4:15 pm

What do you think the priority should be, tens of millions of people choking on the worst air in the nation a half million people breathing the 15th worst air in the nation?
I wouldn't worry too much about it because they don't seem too worried about it, just enforcing the laws they have would likely bump them to at least a few spots better.
If they don't enforce the laws they have, then I have no sympathy for them.
At least with California you can tell they're trying even though they dominate last place.

Weapons grade nuclear fuel costs millions of dollars per pound. Amfo is cheap and with less nuclear fall out. If the people want to blow up mountains for better air let them move it forward.

Does California have crazy wild fires every single year?
New mexico has wild fires too, this is where smoky the bear came from.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

GRA

Mon May 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:15 pm
What do you think the priority should be, tens of millions of people choking on the worst air in the nation a half million people breathing the 15th worst air in the nation?

I think the priority should be anywhere anyone has to breathe unhealthy air, regardless of the level of government involved.

I wouldn't worry too much about it because they don't seem too worried about it, just enforcing the laws they have would likely bump them to at least a few spots better.
If they don't enforce the laws they have, then I have no sympathy for them.

At least with California you can tell they're trying even though they dominate last place.

Who's this "they" you refer to? Presumably not the people with asthma or other respiratory diseases who struggle to breathe any time the air quality is bad.

Weapons grade nuclear fuel costs millions of dollars per pound. Amfo is cheap and with less nuclear fall out. If the people want to blow up mountains for better air let them move it forward.

I had thought the facetious nature of my comment was self-evident, but apparently not.

Does California have crazy wild fires every single year?
New mexico has wild fires too, this is where smoky the bear came from.

Ever since the record-setting 5-year drought which provided 130 million dead trees as fuel, yes, we do have crazy wildfires every year. Wet years have added lots of brush as tinder, and much of the state's back in severe drought this year, so expect more of the same. See https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentM ... or.aspx?CA
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Wed May 13, 2020 2:21 pm

"They" refers to people who pay taxes, vote, those who govern, enforce the laws and breath the air.
15th is a lot better than top 5.

Yeah 5 or 6 years ago new mexico had its worst recorded drought ever, several years after record setting rains 2008 to 2010. Had some fires too, obviously.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

GRA

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 pm

GCR:
Trump's relaxed auto
mpg, emissions rules now under review by inspector general

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... or-general

Not that anything's likely to happen before the election, and if it does and the result is damning I'm sure they won't hesitate to fire this IG, as they've done with others. It's not as if they could appear any more corrupt than they already do, and people who'd be influenced by this have long since made up their minds.

GRA

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Automakers commit to
tougher California emissions deal—and more EVs

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... d-more-evs

The California Air Resources Board announced Monday that it has finalized five individual agreements with automakers pledging to adhere to annual reductions of passenger-vehicle greenhouse gas emissions.

The terms, negotiated with BMW (including Rolls-Royce), Ford, Honda, Volvo, and Volkswagen Group (including Audi)—six automakers, as California tallied it—are claimed to be a compromise. They’re more lenient than what was originally required by the state but stricter than the new U.S. EPA rule.

Like existing California Clean Cars standards, the agreement prioritizes putting more zero-emissions vehicles on the road. The exact method as to how each automaker complies with California is left out as an unpublished appendix to preserve confidential business plans and future products.

The companies agreeing to meet California emissions standards also essentially get an extra year to fall in line with former Obama-era national targets for fleetwide tailpipe emissions—corresponding to net improvement in fuel economy of about 3.7% each year from 2022 to 2026. The new contract with automakers begins with vehicles for the 2021 model year. . . .

GRA

Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:02 pm

GCR:
Report: California clean cars crusader Mary Nichols on shortlist to be next EPA chief
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... -epa-chief

. . .Other candidates reportedly included environmental-justice advocate Heather McTeer Toney of Mississippi, National Wildlife Federation CEO Collin O'Mara, former Connecticut regulator Dan Esty, former Washington State Governor Christine Gregoire, and current Washington Governor Jay Inslee—who campaigned against Biden in the Democratic presidential primaries as the "climate candidate. . . ."

Nichols is also expected to step down from CARB at the end of the year, and she was runner-up for the administrator post in 2008. Bloomberg reported just before the election that, if Biden won, the job was Nichols' if she wanted it, citing anonymous sources familiar with the matter. . . .

GRA

Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:58 pm

GM hits reverse on Trump effort to bar California emissions rules
https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.ampproje ... SKBN2832HF

I always find it refreshing and heartening when a large corporation sticks to a decision made as a matter of principle based on the courage of their convictions, rather than doing a 180 solely because the political winds have shifted, and not changing would have a negative effect on their bottom line.

Yessir, I find it refreshing and heartening, and I look forward to the day when I can credit GM with such behavior. :roll:

I wonder how long it will take Toyota, FCA etc. to show similar 'bravery'?

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”