Government subsidies/perks/mandates for EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
As I've previously mentioned, the city of San Francisco alone has something over 200k curbside parking spaces, but let's call it 200k to make the math easy, and round the cost per EVSE up to $5,000 for the same reason (x2 per station = $10k). So, to cover every curbside parking space in San Francisco, that's $1 billion in current-year dollars. As San Francisco's annual budget for this (Covid) fiscal year is $13.7 billion, and is forecast to be $12.6 billion next fiscal year, as you can see we're talking an extremely hefty chunk of change even spread over a period of years, and that's for one wealthy U.S. city (with a very high take rate of PEVs).

So over 12 years, the average lifetime on the road of a car in the USA, $1,000 million /12 or $80 million a year. Or 0.6% of the budget. That's the absolute maximum needed capital expenditure. More likely would take longer, and costs would reduce with time

There would also be yearly expenses such as electric power and maintenance, and yearly revenue from charging fees.

Somehow I'm missing the problem here.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
As I've previously mentioned, the city of San Francisco alone has something over 200k curbside parking spaces, but let's call it 200k to make the math easy, and round the cost per EVSE up to $5,000 for the same reason (x2 per station = $10k). So, to cover every curbside parking space in San Francisco, that's $1 billion in current-year dollars. As San Francisco's annual budget for this (Covid) fiscal year is $13.7 billion, and is forecast to be $12.6 billion next fiscal year, as you can see we're talking an extremely hefty chunk of change even spread over a period of years, and that's for one wealthy U.S. city (with a very high take rate of PEVs).

So over 12 years, the average lifetime on the road of a car in the USA, $1,000 million /12 or $80 million a year. Or 0.6% of the budget. That's the absolute maximum needed capital expenditure. More likely would take longer, and costs would reduce with time

There would also be yearly expenses such as electric power and maintenance, and yearly revenue from charging fees.

Have you forgotten that's just half of the publicly available spaces (i.e. you also have the public parking lots and garages, plus you also need to provide charging at all the MUDs with off-street parking? And that's for a wealthy city, with an already very clean energy supply. Oh, and that assumes that there's private capital to cover the rest of the cost.

BTW, 12 years isn't the average lifetime, it's the average age currently. Quebec's minimum wage is currently $11.14 U.S., while California's is $14 currently, and will increase to $15 next year. I doubt that electricians are making minimum wage. Now try doing the same thing is say Fresno (5th most populous California city; S.F. is #4), with a lot of low-wage farmworkers rather than high-wage techies.

Let's see, if you were to build 500k L2 chargers annually nationwide, rather than over 8 years (i.e. 62.5k/yr) as Biden's plan calls for, then to cover the 57.2 million households in existing housing without access to charging with a single charger each would take 114 years. Since housing lasts an average of 100 years, we'll assume that you only need to retrofit half that many (and that all new housing is built with charging, although only a few jurisdictions have required that in their building codes yet), it will only take 57 years to accomplish, or the end of 2079, assuming absolutely no population growth; at the planned rate it would take eight times longer or 456 years, minus whatever is done locally. Do you think we can wait until 2079?

GRA said:
WetEV said:

Have you forgotten that's just half of the publicly available spaces (i.e. you also have the public parking lots and garages, plus you also need to provide charging at all the MUDs with off-street parking?

""You" need to"? Who is this "you"?

Lots with rates $3 per hour? At the hourly rate that's $26,280 per year. Seems likely that such a business can afford capital improvements to improve revenue.

https://www.sfmta.com/garages-lots/pierce-street-lot

Or a $44 per day parking garage? Or $7 per hour during the day? Gotta be kidding me. Somehow I'm missing the problem here.

GRA said:
And that's for a wealthy city, with an already very clean energy supply. Oh, and that assumes that there's private capital to cover the rest of the cost.
Charging stations are a small cost for a wealthy city. Somehow I'm missing the problem here.

GRA said:
BTW, 12 years isn't the average lifetime, it's the average age currently.

Good point. Average age will be roughly about half of average lifetime. So I've estimated twice as much capital as actually required. 24 years, and 0.3% of city government spending. A smaller fraction of total spending and total wealth.

GRA said:
Now try doing the same thing is say Fresno (5th most populous California city; S.F. is #4), with a lot of low-wage farmworkers rather than high-wage techies.

Gasoline is a higher fraction of low-wage earners cost of living. Electric power is cheaper. I suspect that there might be a solution that makes things better for low-wage earners.

GRA said:
Do you think we can wait until 2079?

Issue isn't linear, so linear projection of end date is meaningless.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Have you forgotten that's just half of the publicly available spaces (i.e. you also have the public parking lots and garages, plus you also need to provide charging at all the MUDs with off-street parking?

""You" need to"? Who is this "you"?

The City and County of San Francisco, of course.

WetEV said:
Lots with rates $3 per hour? At the hourly rate that's $26,280 per year. Seems likely that such a business can afford capital improvements to improve revenue.

https://www.sfmta.com/garages-lots/pierce-street-lot

Or a $44 per day parking garage? Or $7 per hour during the day? Gotta be kidding me. Somehow I'm missing the problem here.

Then you're unaware of real estate prices in S.F.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
And that's for a wealthy city, with an already very clean energy supply. Oh, and that assumes that there's private capital to cover the rest of the cost.
Charging stations are a small cost for a wealthy city. Somehow I'm missing the problem here.

GRA said:
BTW, 12 years isn't the average lifetime, it's the average age currently.

Good point. Average age will be roughly about half of average lifetime. So I've estimated twice as much capital as actually required. 24 years, and 0.3% of city government spending. A smaller fraction of total spending and total wealth.

Yes you are. If the government were free to spend money on a single thing, it wouldn't be a problem, but of course there are many other areas with constituencies demanding that more money be spent in their area of concern. Oh, and don't forget that we'll simultaneously need to increase renewable electricity production greatly, plus upgrade transmission and distribution lines. S.F. has it's own electric utility (Hetch Hetchy), so they'll be paying for most of that themselves.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Now try doing the same thing is say Fresno (5th most populous California city; S.F. is #4), with a lot of low-wage farmworkers rather than high-wage techies.

Gasoline is a higher fraction of low-wage earners cost of living. Electric power is cheaper. I suspect that there might be a solution that makes things better for low-wage earners.

Except electricity isn't cheaper at public charging stations, which is where most of those workers will be charging for the next several decades. It sure as hell isn't around here, and the Bay Area has the highest gas prices of any metro area in the country. Fuel prices in the central valley are a lot lower.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Do you think we can wait until 2079?

Issue isn't linear, so linear projection of end date is meaningless.

Except that according to most forecasts, we'll be in a world of hurt if we don't get to net-zero carbon by 2050, and maybe even that won't be enough.

GRA said:
Yes you are. If the government were free to spend money on a single thing, it wouldn't be a problem, but of course there are many other areas with constituencies demanding that more money be spent in their area of concern. Oh, and don't forget that we'll simultaneously need to increase renewable electricity production greatly, plus upgrade transmission and distribution lines. S.F. has it's own electric utility (Hetch Hetchy), so they'll be paying for most of that themselves.

0.3% of current spending. That's a insurmountable problem. I'm done.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

0.3% of current spending. That's a insurmountable problem. I'm done.

Insurmountable, no, but difficult given all the other calls for the money, plus all the extra required expenses in other areas, absolutely.

According to CNN (linked below) the bipartisan infrastructure agreement plan DOES include 7.5 billion for EV infrastructure, chargers
Some quick math to check that sanity, if a DC Fast charger is costing 40k each, then 7.5 billion would give you:
187,500 chargers.

The article mentions 500k chargers, but doesn't mention cost per charger, Lvl2 or whatnot. I went with 40k because that's what I've heard before for chargepoint.

So the cost isn't exponentially off but still seems optimistic.

That equates to 3750 chargers on average per state. That's not bad if they are DC Fast chargers.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/politics/infrastructure-plan-explained/index.html

The 500k will mostly be L2. California's recent analysis showed we needed far more L2 than DCFC:

In 2018, Executive Order B-48-18 set a goal of having 250,000 chargers (including 10,000
direct current fast chargers) by 2025. As of January 4, 2021, California has installed more than
70,000 public and shared chargers, including nearly 6,000 direct current fast chargers. This
report finds that an additional 123,000 are planned, of which about 13,600 are fast chargers,
which leaves a gap of about 57,000 installations, including 430 fast chargers, from
the 250,000 chargers goal.

For passenger vehicle charging in 2030, this report projects over 700,000 public and shared
private chargers are needed to support 5 million ZEVs, and nearly 1.2 million to support about
8 million ZEVs anticipated under Executive Order N-79-20
. . . .

• Table 7: Projected Chargers Needed to Support Intraregional Travel for 8 Million Light-Duty ZEVs in 2030

Plug Type Staff Report (Draft) Results (1000 plugs) Revised Staff Report Results (1000 plugs)
    -------------------------Low Average High- Low Average High
    MUDs (Level 1+2) ---- 258 287 316 ------ 265 330 395
    Work (Level 2) -------- 556 572 588 ------ 324 327 330
    Public (Level 2) --------600 617.5 635 ---- 466 470 474
    All L1 and 2 ---------- 1,414 1,476.5 1,539- 1,055 1,127 1,199
    Public (DC FC) ---------- 53.1 54.5 55.9 ------- 30.2 30.6 31
    Total Chargers ----- 1,467.1 1,531 1,594.9 1,085.2 1,157.6 1,230
. . . .

Modeling Results

Table 9 shows the number of needed DC fast chargers and stations in 2030 to support the
BEV fleet of more than 5 million vehicles per CARB’s Draft 2020 Mobile Source Strategy.54
These results show that California will need between 2,108 and 7,408 DC fast chargers
(average of 4,758) located at 1,039 to 1,338 stations (average of 1,189) to support electric
interregional travel. These numbers assume drivers will unplug their vehicle from DC fast
chargers when the battery reaches around 80 percent state of charge, as charging power (in
other words, charging speed) diminishes significantly once the battery reaches higher states of
charge.

53 Wood, Eric, Dong-Yeon (D-Y) Lee, Nicholas Reinicke, Yanbo Ge, and Erin Burnell (National Renewable Energy
Laboratory). 2020. “Presentation — Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Projection Tool (EVI-Pro).” Integrated Energy
Policy Report August 6, 2020, Workshop. https://efiling.energy.ca.gov/getdocument.aspx?tn=234215.
54 CARB’s Draft 2020 Mobile Source Strategy calls for nearly 8 million ZEVs in 2030. Of this total, more than 5.2
million are BEVs, and EVI-RoadTrip models only the DC fast charging needs to enable long-distance interregional
travel for these BEVs.

Table 9: DC Fast Charging Infrastructure Needed to Support 2030 Interregional
  • Electric Travel for BEVs
    Result Low Average High
    DC Fast Charge Stations 1,039 1,189 1,338
    DC Fast Chargers --------- 2,108 4,758 7,408
    Source: CEC and National Renewable Energy Laboratory

file:///C:/Users/CSVAPUB10/Download...e Charging Infrastructure Assessment (Rev.pdf

See the map on page 42 which shows the existing DCFC stations and the needed locations to meet the projected 2030 need - we can dream of the day when the number of DCFC stations is that widespread and dense.
That being said, given the length of time it will take to install the needed number of L2s at MUDs etc., urban DCFCs should be front-loaded to allow apartment dwellers to use BEVs.

Note, the CEC uses DC "FC" rather than "QC", and uses "charger" for both individual L1/2 EVSEs and DCFCs, with "charging stations" used in the same sense as "gas stations". I'm going to conform to their usage from here on out. They know the difference between an EVSE and a DC charger, but to the average user they're effectively all chargers and there's no sense being pedantic about it in general usage. When it's necessary to be specific that's one thing, but for most people most of the time it isn't.

"DCFC" and "Fast Charger(s)" are the terms used by the DOE's Alternative Fuels Data Center and IIRR the SAE.

GCC:
Government of Canada sets mandatory target of 100% zero-emission car and passenger truck sales by 2035 in Canada

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/06/20210630-canada.html

The Government of Canada is setting a mandatory target for all new light-duty cars and passenger trucks sales to be zero-emission by 2035, accelerating Canada’s previous goal of 100% sales by 2040.

The Government of Canada will pursue a combination of investments and regulations to help Canadians and industry transition to achieve the 100 percent zero-emission vehicle sales by 2035. It will work also with partners to develop interim 2025 and 2030 targets, and additional mandatory measures that may be needed beyond Canada’s light-duty vehicle greenhouse gas emissions regulations.

The announcement is coupled with existing measures to support increased zero-emission vehicle adoption—from incentives that help with the upfront costs of zero-emission vehicles, to investments in zero-emission charging infrastructure, to partnerships with auto manufacturers which are helping them re-tool and produce zero-emission vehicles in Canada.

The Government of Canada says it also remains committed to aligning with the most ambitious light-duty vehicle greenhouse gas emission regulations in the United States.

GCC:
Minnesota becomes latest state to adopt California clean car standards

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/07/20210727-mn.html

. . . The policy will implement two clean cars standards to reduce vehicle emissions.

The low-emission vehicle (LEV) standard requires vehicle manufacturers to deliver passenger cars, trucks, and SUVs that produce lower greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants for sale in Minnesota. The Minnesota LEV standard is identical to the California LEV III standard, which covers MY 2015-2025.

The zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) standard requires automobile manufacturers to deliver more vehicles with ultra-low or zero tailpipe emissions for sale in Minnesota, including electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid models.

The rule only applies to new light- and medium-duty vehicles for sale in Minnesota. Model year 2025 is the first possible model year affected by the Clean Cars MN rule, which take effect on 1 January 2024.

The federal Clean Air Act (CAA) prohibits any state from adopting new motor vehicle emission standards that differ from those established under the CAA. However, the CAA also permits the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to waive the express preemption of state regulations for the State of California, under section 209(b), and section 177 permits other states to adopt regulations that are identical to those promulgated by California.

GRA said:
GCC:
Minnesota becomes latest state to adopt California clean car standards

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/07/20210727-mn.html

. . . The policy will implement two clean cars standards to reduce vehicle emissions.

The low-emission vehicle (LEV) standard requires vehicle manufacturers to deliver passenger cars, trucks, and SUVs that produce lower greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants for sale in Minnesota. The Minnesota LEV standard is identical to the California LEV III standard, which covers MY 2015-2025.

The zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) standard requires automobile manufacturers to deliver more vehicles with ultra-low or zero tailpipe emissions for sale in Minnesota, including electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid models.

The rule only applies to new light- and medium-duty vehicles for sale in Minnesota. Model year 2025 is the first possible model year affected by the Clean Cars MN rule, which take effect on 1 January 2024.

The federal Clean Air Act (CAA) prohibits any state from adopting new motor vehicle emission standards that differ from those established under the CAA. However, the CAA also permits the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to waive the express preemption of state regulations for the State of California, under section 209(b), and section 177 permits other states to adopt regulations that are identical to those promulgated by California.
Do you know if this makes MN a CARB state? Thats the term I'm more familiar with. Kind of disappointing it won't take effect until 2025 model year but at least it's a step in the right direction. Now if MN could just lower it's higher than ICE, EV road tax, making the EV tax more in line with what one would pay if they drove a similar ICE vehicle, that and maybe start giving state incentives to EVs like many other states have.
Personally, I'd be surprised if we did any of that but I guess I'm surprised they did what they did as MN is basically the land of full-sized pickups and larger SUVs! After all you've got to have at least 2-tons under you to run and get your Starbucks or take the kids to soccer :roll: that or drive alone to work like 95% of Minnesotans do.....

jjeff said:
Do you know if this makes MN a CARB state?
I've also been confused by this distinction. It may be that a 'CARB state' follows ALL of the rules that CARB passes, from air pollution to blowers, to car warranties. I presume MN has only agreed to the car quotas, so my take would be that they are not a CARB state.

However, MN may be part of the trade compact that lets manufacturers combine their sales from multiple states. That may not be a good thing, since CA is the largest car market by far in the USA and their transition to clean cars may exceed the regulatory demand. If that happens then the other state compact participants get a free ticket to pollute. I don't expect adoption of the LEV and ZEV mandates will make pollution worse in MN but I'm not sure if it will make it better.

jjeff said:
Do you know if this makes MN a CARB state? Thats the term I'm more familiar with. Kind of disappointing it won't take effect until 2025 model year but at least it's a step in the right direction. [Snip]

Yes. From March:
States across the country are plowing ahead with their own low- and zero-emission vehicle mandates, putting the squeeze on tailpipe greenhouse gas emissions while national car regulations remain in flux at the White House.

Minnesota, New Mexico, and Nevada are working to implement clean car standards on the local level in line with California’s more-stringent tailpipe emission and electric vehicle requirements. A Trump-rescinded waiver allows the Golden State to set its own rules to mitigate pollution from heavy traffic.

These state-by-state car efforts come despite uncertainty about where national standards are heading, though EPA Administrator Michael Regan made it clear this week that national carbon standards for cars is top of the list.

Proposed rulemaking on national standards is expected by July, according to Biden’s executive order on environmental rules. A decision on California’s waiver is due next month.

The state trio is on track to join Virginia, which last week became the latest state to adopt more-stringent California tailpipe emission and electric vehicle standards after Gov. Ralph Northam (D) signed an advanced clean cars bill into law. The mandate puts a cap on carbon emissions for cars with internal combustion engines and aims to jump-start electric vehicle sales. . . .

Setting the Tone

Fourteen states and the District of Columbia have now adopted California’s low-emission clean car standards—set by the California Air Resources Board, or CARB—thanks to a historic waiver granted under the Clean Air Act. Twelve of those states also have adopted zero-emission vehicle standards. . . .

Minnesota’s Moves

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is at the helm of that state’s tailpipe emissions push that launched in September 2019. The state is forging ahead with car rules parallel to Biden’s deliberation on national standards, said Craig McDonnell, the agency’s assistant commissioner for air and climate policy.

“State actions and automaker investments and decisions are driving positive progress on reducing greenhouse gas emissions and striving for a better climate,” McDonnell said in a statement.

The rulemaking’s public comment period ended Monday, and now a state administrative law judge will issue a report in the coming weeks on whether the agency can adopt the rule. Under the federal Clean Air Act—and if Biden restores the California waiver—there would be a two-year grace period for implementation after it’s finalized.

Nevada is currently in technical information sessions on its standards, with rulemaking projected to wrap up by the end of the year.

Groups see Biden’s push for vehicle electrification and manufacturer promises—like General Motors Co.'s commitment to scrap gas-powered cars by 2035—as boons for the state-by-state desire for California’s standards. . . .

Even in the event that Biden hikes the national standards above Trump’s, Folger said the decision to go with CARB’s rules comes with perks, like greater involvement in what standards should look like.

“One of the benefits of working with California and following those standards is that states actually get to negotiate and work together and California sets those standards,” she said. . . .

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/envir...rnia-car-rules-amid-national-standards-debate

Also see: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-makes-it-tougher-for-plug-in-compliance-cars

Rumor, via GCR:
Report: Biden rules will support 40% EVs by 2030, outdo Obama targets for mpg

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...rt-40-evs-by-2030-outdo-obama-targets-for-mpg

President Biden will soon propose fuel-economy and EV adoption targets that surpass targets set by his former boss, AP News reported Tuesday.

The proposed rules from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) could be released as early as next week, according to the report, which cited four anonymous industry and government officials who have been briefed on the plan.

While those sources said the new rules hadn't been finalized, three said that, beginning with the 2023 model year, the federal government will base its standards on an existing agreement between California and five automakers—Ford, Volkswagen, Honda, BMW, and Volvo. That agreement calls for fuel-efficiency improvements of 3.7% per year.

Annual efficiency increases would ramp up to 5% in 2025, matching Obama-era targets, and could rise to 6% or 7% for the 2026 model year, the report said. That indicates Obama-era rules may not be restored for the period prior to 2025, but it seems federal fuel-economy targets could eventually exceed them under this plan.

Under the proposed rules, the EPA could call for 40% of new-vehicle sales to be electric by 2030, according to the report. . . .

With the restoration of California's Clean Air Act waiver, there will still be two sets of vehicle emissions rules for the near future, but it appears based on this information they'll be in much better alignment.

California also aims for 80% EVs by 2035, tightens emissions rules, and places new requirements on plug-in hybrids. So the state may remain ahead of the rest of the nation in emissions-reduction plans for some time.

ABG article, same subject:
Exclusive: Biden mileage rule to exceed Obama climate goals

This as only three automakers — Tesla, Honda, Subaru — complied with 2019 standards

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/28/biden-vehicle-mileage-fuel-economy-standards/

Strictly speaking not on topic, but certainly related, via ABG:
U.S. may reinstate boost in automaker fines for not meeting emissions rules

Could cost industry hundreds of millions of dollars or more

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/08/18/us-may-reinstate-automaker-emissions-fines-nhtsa-cafe/

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said Wednesday it may impose higher penalties for automakers failing to meet fuel efficiency requirements in recent years, a decision that could cost the industry hundreds of millions of dollars or more.

President Donald Trump's administration in its final days in January delayed a 2016 regulation that more than doubled penalties for automakers failing to meet Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) requirements.

Automakers protested that 2016 hike, warning it could boost industry costs by at least $1 billion annually. The hike could cost Chrysler parent Stellantis for instance hundreds of millions of dollars, while boosting the value of credits sold by Tesla.

Under President Barack Obama, the higher penalties were set to start with the 2019 model year, but the Trump administration — which first tried to suspend the hike — agreed following a court decision to set the effective date as the 2022 model year.

Tesla urged a U.S. appeals court to reinstate the higher fuel economy penalties and said the Biden administration ignored the ongoing impact of the Trump rule on the credit-trading market.

Tesla, whose electric cars produce zero emissions, sells credits to other automakers to reduce their burden of complying with regulations and argued the Trump rule change makes those credits less valuable.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, part of Stellantis NV, paid a total of nearly $150 million for failing to meet 2016 and 2017 requirements.

NHTSA said its analysis showed reinstating the earlier hike could boost penalties for the 2019 model year alone by $178.5 million, a figure that does not include the impact on credit trading.

Stellantis said earlier this month in a securities filing costs related to potential higher CAFE penalties could be about 521 million euros ($609 million). . . .

GCC:
NY sets 100% ZEV sales goal for new LDVs by 2035, advances Advanced Clean Truck regulation

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210909-ny.html

New York Governor Kathy Hochul signed legislation (A.4302/S.2758), setting a goal for all new passenger cars and trucks sold in New York State to be zero-emissions by 2035.

In addition, the Governor directed the Department of Environmental Conservation to release the proposed Advanced Clean Truck regulation that would significantly reduce air pollution from trucks. If adopted, the regulation would accelerate zero-emission truck sales, resulting in improved air quality statewide and in particular those communities disproportionately impacted by transportation-related pollution.

Under the new law, new off-road vehicles and equipment sold in New York are targeted to be zero-emissions by 2035, and new medium-duty and heavy-duty vehicles by 2045. The law also requires the development of a zero-emissions vehicle development strategy by 2023, which will be led by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to expedite the implementation of the State policies and programs necessary to achieve the law’s new goals.

Using California’s Advanced Clean Trucks Rule as a template, the proposed regulation would require truck manufacturers to transition to electric vehicles. Truck manufacturers would be required to meet a certain annual sales percentage of zero-emission trucks, which will vary among vehicle weight classes, beginning with model year 2025. By the 2035 model year, at least 55% of all new Class 2b-3 pickup trucks and vans, 75% of all new Class 4-8 trucks, and 40% of all new Class 7-8 tractors sold in New York State will be zero-emission. . . .

The proposed regulations complement New York's ongoing efforts and investments to electrify the transportation sector and help achieve the state’s climate goals. New York is investing more than $1 billion in zero emissions vehicles over the next five years. Active medium- and heavy-duty truck initiatives include zero-emission truck purchase vouchers through the New York Truck Voucher Program (NYTVIP) and the New York City Clean Trucks Program, the “EV Make Ready” initiative to help expand electric vehicle use, fleet assessment services, and the $24-million electric Truck and Bus Prize Challenge.

In 2020, New York, 14 additional states, and the District of Columbia agreed through a Memorandum of Understanding to develop an action plan to accelerate the electrification of buses and trucks, including to consider adoption of the California regulation. Participating states committed to work together to accelerate the market for zero emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, including delivery trucks, box trucks, and buses. The collective goal is to ensure that 100% of all new medium- and heavy-duty vehicle sales be zero emission vehicles by 2050, with an interim target of 30% zero-emission vehicle sales in these categories of vehicles by 2030.

I noticed at the bottom of https://cleanfuelreward.com/find-your-ev/eligible-electric-cars "*The $1,500 maximum reward amount is for vehicle sales completed by 11/1/21; beginning 11/2/21 the maximum reward will be $750".

This is Cailfornia's "Clean Fuel Reward".

GCC:
CARB approves $1.5B investment in clean cars, trucks, mobility options for FY 2021-22

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/11/20211120-carb.html

. . . The plan is by far the largest annual investment in clean transportation incentives to date—more than double the amount of the largest past investment. Supported projects range from consumer rebates for clean cars to incentives for cleaner trucks, and mobility options.

Over half of the $1.5 billion Fiscal Year 2021-22 Funding Plan for Clean Transportation Incentives is targeted to benefit lower income communities and those disproportionately burdened by environmental pollution.

This funding for fiscal year 2021-2022 marks the first installment in the three-year $3.9-billion budget that builds on programs to support zero-emission vehicles and their infrastructure over the past decade. The current investment is designed to accelerate California’s transition to clean cars, trucks, and off-road equipment, including adding 1,150 drayage trucks, 1,000 school buses and 1,000 transit buses—all zero tailpipe emission.

Of the $1.5 billion, $838 million comes from the state general fund, and $595 million from the state’s Cap-and-Trade Program. The remainder comes from the Air Pollution Control Fund and the Air Quality Improvement Program. . . .

Highlights of these additional programs:

$45 million to support the replacement of diesel trucks with trucks certified to meet or exceed a low-NOx standard through the state’s popular Carl Moyer Program in the South Coast Air Quality Management District and San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

The Climate Heat Impact Response Program, intended to support grid resilience and mitigate additional emissions in impacted communities as a result of the Governor’s Proclamation of a State of Emergency issued 30 June 2021.

Not strictly a public mandate as it applies to Gov't fleets, but close enough, via GCC:
9 national, regional, state and city governments sign up to ZEV Pledge for their fleets; 121,355 vehicles

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/11/20211130-zevpledge.html

Nine national, regional, state and city-level governments signed up to Climate Group’s newly launched initiative ZEV Pledge. The ZEV Pledge asks governments at all levels, as well as individual departments, agencies and public sector bodies, to pledge to convert their entire owned or leased fleets, where feasible, to zero-emission vehicles.

This should be achieved as soon as possible and no later than the following target dates:

Buses by 2030
Two- and three-wheelers by 2030
Light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels) by 2035
Medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

The nine initial commitments to the ZEV Pledge collectively represent 121,355 vehicles on the road, with nearly a third of these being medium- or heavy-duty vehicles.

The signatories and their commitments:

Province of British Columbia: 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels vehicles) by 2035; 100% zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

State of California: 100% zero-emission buses by 2030; 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels vehicles) by 2035; 100% zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

State of Jalisco: 100% zero-emission buses by 2030

State of New York: 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels vehicles) by 2035; 100% zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

City of New York: 100% zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

Province of Québec: 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels vehicles) by 2035; 100% zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

Scottish Government: 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels vehicles) by 2035; 100% zero-emission heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

UK Government: 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels vehicles) by 2027

State of Washington: 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles (4+ wheels vehicles) by 2035; 100% zero-emission medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2040

Fleet vehicles—those owned or operated by a business, government agency or other organization—globally make up a quarter (24%) of vehicles on the road, yet contribute to more than half (56%) of road transport emissions. As a result, recent analysis by Climate Group and SYSTEMIQ has found that faster electrification of fleets could deliver transformational benefits, including saving the equivalent annual emissions of India by 2030—the world’s third highest emitter.

Notable support for the ZEV Pledge comes from California, Washington and New York. In addition to signing the ZEV Pledge, the Governor of Washington, Jay Inslee, ratified the state’s commitment of moving to an all-electric fleet by 2035 by announcing it as an executive order. . . .

Back