General EV sales topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
GRA's world doesn't change.
I wonder why you keep engaging him. You're talking about someone who has been on this forum for 10 years telling us why BEVs don't work for him, and who 20 years ago concluded he couldn't get a Level 2 installed at his apartment so it would never be easy for him to charge a car.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV wrote:

The big worry for most people thinking about buying an electric car is how to charge the thing.

But the real question you should be asking is how you're going to refuel your petrol or diesel vehicle if you don't go electric.

That's because electric cars are going to send the petrol station business into a death spiral over the next two decades, making electric vehicles the default option for all car owners.

Why? Because charging electric vehicles is going to become much more straightforward than refuelling petrol and diesel cars.

Fixed the bolding for you. For free.

If it happens, terrific, although unless fossil fuels are completely banned before then it will take more than 20 years from now to complete the transition, given the size of the fleet and the replacement rate. You know this.

You know that Europe is ahead of the USA on this, and while I think it likely that it will take more than 20 years, I'm not sure I can exclude 20 years. And gas stations might be having economic issues long before the transition is complete.

PEV market share is about 14% in the UK, and the average age of a car in the UK is 8.4 years. Higher PEV percentage today, faster growth and a faster fleet turnover. Yes, looks like rapid decline in ICE cars on the road in around 20 years is at least possible.

As the number of gasoline cars falls, the gas stations will see declining business. They can either close or raise prices to take advantage of less competition. Both make gasoline cars even less attractive, so soon even fewer gasoline cars. Spiral accelerates.

The difference is that Europe has much stricter mandates as well as much more expensive gas, plus incentives. Which is why EU sales tripled from 3.5% in 2019 to 11% in 2020 (the loss of lower-,income buyers also played a part). You know, exponential growth.

We both agree that nationwide mandates aren't going to happen here given the current makeup of Congress, and likely the earliest it could happen would be 2025, as it's likely the Dems will lose control of one or both houses in the mid-terms.

As time goes on, either BEVs will be able to charge fast enough to make putting chargers at existing gas stations practical (say 10 minutes to charge, unlikely given the power demands) and/or those gas stations will switch to H2, as the business model works for those. Convenience stores were around before they started to be out at gas stations and vice-versa, so I expect they'll survive either way.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
And the kind of problem that a government, with lots of other calls on the money and no profitable business case for private building of DCFCs (at least), has difficulty solving. Not that it can't be solved, only that it will be difficult. But I and many Californians are game to try.

GRA knows that DCFCs were not profitable in 2012, so doesn't need to update. GRA's world doesn't change.

Please point to any DCFC network that's profitable now while building stations without government subsidy. If there were any we wouldn't have to worry about the pace of charging infrastructure buildout, and you could drive anywhere you wanted without having to pre-plan your trip and limit yourself to only the most heavily-traveled routes, often while paying more than gas costs. Or just look at the Plugshare map, and then de-select EA.

jlv said:
WetEV said:
GRA's world doesn't change.
I wonder why you keep engaging him. You're talking about someone who has been on this forum for 10 years telling us why BEVs don't work for him, and who 20 years ago concluded he couldn't get a Level 2 installed at his apartment so it would never be easy for him to charge a car.

How many mis-statements can you make in one sentence? I 've never said that I couldn't get L2 installed at my place, in fact I had a tentative agreement with my landlord to do so (along with PV), but he backed out after seeing the payback time for the PV. I still have a chance for him to just do the L2, when/if I get a BEV. However, now that I have reasonably-priced DCFCs within a reasonable driving but not walking distance, even if they fall short of L2 at home I could make do with L1 plus the DCFCs given my usage pattern, at a lesser but acceptable level of convenience. It would be better if any of them were located where I had some other reason to go, but 800V packs charge fast enough that I could put up with it occasionally.

Now I just need a practical car. I have hopes for the Ionic 5 (to lease not buy, as it falls well short of my range needs, is bigger than I want and will apparently lack a capacity warranty), but it seems likely that it will be priced too high.

Still, progress, and in a few more years BEVs and their infrastructure may be where they need to be to meet my value for money requirements, e.g.
Volvo Electric Cars Will Focus On More Range And Faster Charging

. . . The third generation of BEVs will appear on the market in the middle of the decade and will bring ultimate EV solutions.

Volvo hints at battery packs becoming an integral part of the vehicle structure (a thing pursued also by Tesla), much higher energy density (50% compared to current level), possibly above 1,000 Wh/l and much higher range of up to "1,000 km (621 miles) of real driving range".

Moreover, the charging time will be cut almost in half by mid-decade (2025 or so). . . .
https://insideevs.com/news/517343/volvo-focus-range-faster-charging/

Other manufacturers are equally aware of which BEV capabilities need to improve to meet customer demands (in addition to price reductions), to provide full replacements for fossil-fueled cars.

Or FCEVs and their infrastructure will do so - the cars already have the operational capability required.

IEVS:
Europe: Plug-Ins And SUVs Are The Hottest Segments In May 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/517278/europe-plugins-suvs-may-2021/

Plug-ins takes 16% of the market, while crossovers/SUVs expanded to almost 45%.
Passenger car sales in Europe (26 European markets, monitored by JATO Dynamics) rebounded by 73% year-over-year in May to over 1.07 million, however the volume remains 25% below May 2019.

The plug-in segment on the other hand is far, far beyond where it was a year ago and two years ago. In total, some 171,415 plug-ins were registered in May, which is a 279 % increase year-over-year.

Both all-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles are racing almost head-to-head:

BEVs: 83,700 (up 261% year-over-year)
PHEVs: 87,700 (up 299% year-over-year)
Total: 171,415 (up 279% year-over-year)

Another interesting finding is that crossover/SUVs are dominating the market with nearly 45% market share. The manufacturers that combine the two hottest elements - EVs and crossover/SUVs - will win tremendously. Here is where the Volkswagen Group's big gains come from and where Tesla is lagging, due to the not-yet-introduced Tesla Model Y.

Felipe Munoz, global analyst at JATO Dynamics commented:

“It has become clear that having the right offering across both of these segments will be crucial to the success of OEMs over the coming years. . . .”

IEVS:
Germany: Plug-In Car Sales More Than Quadrupled In May 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/517066/germany-plugin-sales-may-2021/

Close to one in four new passenger cars sold was a plug-in.
In May, new passenger car registrations in Germany amounted to 230,635 (up 37% year-over-year), but a bigger change is happening in the plug-in segment.

The number of passenger plug-in car registrations increased 338% year-over-year to over 54,000, which represents 23.4% of the entire market.

Interestingly, all-electric cars expanded faster than plug-in hybrids, and maybe once again will become popular in the near future.

Results by type:

BEVs: 26,786 – up 380% at 11.6% market share
PHEVs: 27,222 – up 303% at 11.8% market share

Total: 54,008 – up 338% at 23.4% market share

New registrations year-to-date:

BEVs: 115,296 – up 219% at 10.3% market share
PHEVs: 132,257 – up 241% at 11.8% market share

Total: 247,553 – up 230% at 22.2% market share. . . .

Brands that recorded the highest number of plug-in car registrations (at least 1,000) were:

Volkswagen: 10,686 - 6,383 BEVs and 4,303 PHEVs
Audi: 4,641 - 1,017 BEVs and 3,624 PHEVs
BMW: 4,112 - 1,240 BEVs and 2,872 PHEVs
Mercedes-Benz: 4,016 - 590 BEVs and 3,426 PHEVs
SEAT: 3,469 - 450 BEVs and 3,019 PHEVs
Skoda: 3,416 - 1,934 BEVs and 1,482 PHEVs
Tesla: 2,744 - 2,744 BEVs
Renault: 2,494 - 2,106 BEVs and 388 PHEVs
smart: 2,200 - 2,200 BEVs
Opel: 2,144 - 1,695 BEVs and 449 PHEVs
Hyundai: 2,089 - 1,265 BEVs and 824 PHEVs
Ford: 2,041 - 190 BEVs and 1,851 PHEVs
Kia: 1,707 - 748 BEVs and 959 PHEVs
Volvo: 1,352 - 99 BEVs and 1,253 PHEVs
Peugeot: 1,183 - 836 BEVs and 347 PHEVs. . . .

GRA said:
As time goes on, either BEVs will be able to charge fast enough to make putting chargers at existing gas stations practical (say 10 minutes to charge, unlikely given the power demands) and/or those gas stations will switch to H2, as the business model works for those. Convenience stores were around before they started to be out at gas stations and vice-versa, so I expect they'll survive either way.

We have had 10 years of you telling us why hydrogen is the future.

Yawn.

GRA said:
Please point to any DCFC network that's profitable now while building stations without government subsidy. If there were any we wouldn't have to worry about the pace of charging infrastructure buildout, and you could drive anywhere you wanted without having to pre-plan your trip and limit yourself to only the most heavily-traveled routes, often while paying more than gas costs. Or just look at the Plugshare map, and then de-select EA.

EVgo projects profitability in 2023. You have two more years.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

We have had 10 years of you telling us why hydrogen is the future.

Yawn.

At least you're consistent with your mis-statements. I've said that green H2 is one possible future along with BEVs and bio/synfuels, with the exact split TBD. That it will play a big role in longer distance public and commercial vehicle land and water use is pretty much a done deal now, as the past 12-18 months of articles re increasing green/blue H2 (and it's derivatives e.g. ammonia & methanol) manufacture, transport and use I've posted in the H2 and FCEV topic and the AF Commercial Vehicles topics show. I suspect it will also take over the regional commercial aviation market. Both the number and the scope of the projects announced over that period have increased, dare I say, exponentially. Of course, it's still possible that batteries might improve enough to overcome H2's operational advantages in the latter roles, although I seriously doubt it. For personal transport the jury's still out. Biofuels will almost certainly be resource-constrained to a niche role in long-distance aviation, and we'll have to see on synfuels.

WetEV said:
GRA said:

Terrific, and maybe it will come true, but it isn't true now, so you can't point to any such network. Of course, many if not most of the sites EVgo's been building have been with government subsidies, not with their own dime. Still, what you're saying is that there are no DCFC charging networks profitable now. Let's include your statement to which mine above was in reply to:
GRA knows that DCFCs were not profitable in 2012, so doesn't need to update. GRA's world doesn't change.

Let me fix your statement for you:
WetEV knows that DCFCs were not profitable in 2012 and still aren't, and can't point to such a network, so doesn't need to update. WetEV's world doesn't change.
To use another of your quotes, "Fixed that for you. For free."

GRA said:
WetEV said:

Terrific, and maybe it will come true, but it isn't true now, so you can't point to any such network. Of course, many if not most of the sites EVgo's been building have been with government subsidies, not with their own dime. Still, what you're saying is that there are no DCFC charging networks profitable now. Let's include your statement to which mine above was in reply to:

Let me fix your statement for you:
WetEV knows that DCFCs were not profitable in 2012 and still aren't, and can't point to such a network, so doesn't need to update. WetEV's world doesn't change.
To use another of your quotes, "Fixed that for you. For free."

Which is incorrect, in a subtle way.

DCFC networks are not profitable.

DCFC locations are almost certainly profitable now.

It is a matter of utilization. Only a few sites get enough traffic now to make them profitable. If the number of EVs keeps increasing, this will change.

Been out of town and off-line the past week, so lots of catching up to do.

All IEVS:
UK: Plug-In Car Sales Surge To Over 17% Market Share In June 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/518277/uk-plugin-car-sales-june2021/

Norway: Plug-In Car Sales Nears 85% Share In June 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/517969/norway-plugin-car-sales-june2021/

Global Plug-In Electric Car Sales May 2021: Over 440,000

https://insideevs.com/news/518176/global-plugin-car-sales-may2021/

Europe: Plug-In Car Sales Almost Quadrupled In May 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/517232/europe-plugin-sales-may-2021/

Europe: Plug-Ins And SUVs Are The Hottest Segments In May 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/517278/europe-plugins-suvs-may-2021/

ABG:
Germany will have 1 million electric cars on the road in July

There's a handsome incentive for going electric

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/02/germany-1-million-electric-cars-on-the-road/

Germany will in July have 1 million electric cars on the road, hitting its target six months late, Economy Minister Peter Altmaier told the Tagesspiegel daily on Friday, saying subsidy programs had boosted demand.

"We will reach our target of 1 million electric cars by 2020, which everyone thought was unattainable, this July, just six months late," the minister was quoted as saying.

And what were the factors that led to the increase in sales?

"More bonuses have been taken up in the first half of 2021 than in the whole of last year," he added, saying they amounted to 1.25 billion euros. Stimulus money has boosted Ttotal federal incentives to 9,000 euros ($10,660) for electric and a 6,750-euro ($8,000) bonus for plug-in hybrids costing below 40,000 euros ($47,383). There are also vehicle tax exemptions, local incentives, free parking, bus lane use and subsidized chargers. The increased federal subsidies will now be extended beyond 2021, but lowered in two steps until 2025, the sources said. . . .

There are big problems with the Philadelphia Proterra electric bus fleet, though it appears to be structural more than electrical. In Duluth Minnesota the buses had range issues. Problems with BYD buses in Alburquerque NM and Indianapolis as well.
https://whyy.org/articles/septas-cracking-battery-buses-raise-questions-about-the-future-of-electric-transit/

Both IEVS:
Germany: Plug-In Car Sales More Than Tripled In June 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/520508/germany-plugin-sales-june-2021/

In June, new passenger car registrations in Germany increased almost 25% year-over-year to 274,152, but it's still far from over 325,000 two years ago.

On the positive side, passenger plug-in car registrations increased 243% year-over-year to almost 65,000 (the second-best result ever), which represents 23.6% of the entire market.

This time, all-electric car sales not only sold at a slightly higher volume but also expanded quicker year-over-year than plug-in hybrids.

Results by type:

BEVs: 33,420 – up 312% at 12.2% market share
PHEVs: 31,314 – up 191% at 11.4% market share

Total: 64,734 – up 243% at 23.6% market share

Plug-in electric car registrations in Germany – YTD

So far this year, more than 312,000 new passenger plug-in cars were registered in Germany, which is 233% more than a year ago. It's the largest plug-in market in Europe.

New registrations year-to-date:

BEVs: 148,716 – up 236% at 10.7% market share
PHEVs: 163,571 – up 230% at 11.8% market share

Total: 312,287 – up 233% at 22.5% market share. . . .

Netherlands: Plug-In Car Sales More Than Doubled In June 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/520525/netherlands-plugin-sales-june-2021/

Plug-in electric passenger car registrations in the Netherlands more than doubled year-over-year in June to 8,821, which is a surprisingly good result at this point of the year.

That's about 26% of the total market, and all-electric cars held an 18% share - much higher than plug-in hybrids.

If the volume continues to increase in the second part of the year, as it usually did in the previous years, it should be a good year.

The total number of registrations so far this year stands at 32,079. The average market share is 20% (including 10% all-electric cars). . . .

Both IEVS:
Electric Cars Reach 40 Percent Market Share In Switzerland

https://insideevs.com/news/520955/ev-40-percent-market-switzerland/

. . . So far in 2021, battery-electric vehicles have captured 9.9% of the market, plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) have reached 8.3%, and hybrids have taken 20.6%. That’s a total of nearly 40% of the overall vehicle market, which is almost in the class of EV hotspots such as Norway and the Netherlands.

Switzerland has seen its EV adoption rate soar in the last year or two—the share of pure EVs went from a paltry 1.7% in 2018 to a healthy 14.3% in June 2021. The share of plug-in vehicles (EVs and plug-in hybrids) reached 23% in that month.

The rapid turnaround is all the more amazing in light of the fact that, unlike most Western European countries, Switzerland offers no special incentives for EV purchases (a couple of the Swiss cantons—the equivalent of states or provinces—do have incentives, and the federal government has financed some infrastructure projects). . . .

According to multilingual media outlet swissinfo, the country had 5,700 public charging points as of March.

A recent survey by the trade group Swiss eMobility found that just over half of Swiss residents surveyed are likely to buy an EV in the next three years.

This is encouraging. Granted, the distances are short, there's lots of up and down and the PCI is high, but still.

France: Plug-In Car Sales Reach New Record In June 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/520657/france-plugin-car-sales-june2021/

While the overall passenger car market in France went down by 15% year-over-year in June to 119,509, the plug-in segment surged to a new all-time monthly record.

In total, some 38,708 new plug-ins were registered last month (up 71% year-over-year), which is slightly above the previous record noted in December 2020.

Passenger plug-ins (37,408) accounted for about 18.8% of the car market, which almost matches the December record of almost 19.3%. It means that nearly one in five new passenger cars is a plug-in.

Another thing is that all-electric cars were noticeably above plug-in hybrids:

Passenger BEVs: 20,899 - up 52% at 10.5% market share
Passenger PHEVs: 16,509 - up 127% at 8.3% market share
Light commercial BEVs: 1,239 - down 22% at 2.6% market share
Light commercial PHEVs: 61
Total plug-ins: 38,708 - up 71%

So far this year, the plug-in segment increased 117% year-over-year to over 150,000.

Sales year-to-date:

Passenger BEVs: 72,511 - up 61%
Passenger and Light commercial PHEVs: 72,259 - up 256%
Light commercial BEVs: 5,574 - up 43%
Total plug-ins: 150,344 - up 140%. . . .

All IEVS:
US: BEV Sales Exceed 100,000 In Q2 2021 For The First Time

https://insideevs.com/news/523737/us-bev-car-sales-2021q2/

The volume more than tripled year-over-year.

In the second quarter of 2021, the U.S. auto market has rebounded by almost 50% year-over-year to over 4.4 million units (from a low base in 2020). . . .

Data provided by Cox Automotive and Kelley Blue Book indicate that all-electric car sales exceeded 100,000 in a quarter for the very first time (it was close in Q1 2021). All types of hybrids together are above 250,000.

U.S. - Q2 2021 (partially estimated):

BEVs: 118,233 (up 254.9% from 33,312) and 2.7% of the market
HEVs + PHEVs: 258,028 (up 181.0% from 91,667) and 5.8% of the market
Total xEVs: 376,261 (up 201.1% from 124,979) and 8.5% of the market (4,412,737)

Market share of 8.5% for xEVs is quite an improvement from 4.2% a year ago. BEVs at 2.7% are still far behind Europe, but at least they improved from just 1.1% in Q2 2020.

U.S. - Q1-Q2 2021 (partially estimated):

BEVs: 216,917 (up 114% from 101,452) and 2.6% of the market
HEVs + PHEVs: 464,492 (up 141% from 192,558) and 5.6% of the market
Total xEVs: 681,409 (up 132% from 294,010) and 8.2% of the market (8,320,475). . . .

Unfortunately, no breakdown of PHEV sales. Given high gas prices (my corner station just hit $4.50/gal.) I'm not surprised to see EV sales increase, although as expected more are HEV/PHEVs than BEVs. More interesting to me is that we're seeing a significant increase in the % of non-Teslas making up BEV sales; the article notes that Tesla were 64% of BEV sales in Q2-2021, but 71% in Q1 and 83% in Q2-2020, so we're finally seeing a number of mainstream automakers offering desirable BEVs.

Meanwhile,
Europe: Plug-Ins Take 18.5% Of The Market In June 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/523457/europe-plugin-sales-june-2021/

Passenger car sales in Europe (26 European markets, monitored by JATO Dynamics) struggle to rebound to pre-pandemic levels.

In June, almost 1.27 million new cars were registered (up 13% year-over-year), but it's still noticeably less than 1.47 million in 2019 and 1.6 million in 2018.

On the other hand, plug-in electric cars sell better and better with around 230,000 units in June and a record market share of 18.5% (up from 8.2% a year ago)!

All-electric cars were in the majority over plug-in hybrids:

BEVs: 126,000
PHEVs: 104,000
Total: 230,000 (18.5% market share). . . .

EV Sales In Italy Grow In June With Dacia Spring Debut

https://insideevs.com/news/523552/ev-sales-italy-dacia-spring/

. . . The Italian car market keeps recovering from last year’s debacle, scoring a total of over 150,000 registrations – almost 13% more than the 133,000 recorded a year prior, but still lower than 2019 June levels. Petrol and diesel powertrains are in an unstoppable retreat, with 30.3% and 22.4% market share respectively, and double digit reductions year-on-year (YoY). Traditional hybrids score a solid 27.4%, slightly lower than recent records, yet ready to overtake petrol any month now as the most popular powertrain in the market.

Fully electric cars reach near record highs again as the quarter ends, with 7,025 units and almost 4.7% share of the market, in fact, the second-best share in a healthy market after last December, when it reached 6% with the year-end push. This month’s result is more than triple (+214%) the number of registrations just twelve months ago, when the count stopped at 2,237 units, confirming the steep rise of this early exponential phase of growth, with new models popping up every month.

Plug-in hybrids confirm their current lead over pure electrics, reaching 7,118 units and a similar 4.7% market share. This is also their third-best result to date, with an over fourfold YoY growth (!) from the 1,647 registrations of June 2020. PHEVs are enjoying increasing interest in the Italian market following subdued sales in previous years, as more and more small-size SUVs with a plug are released by legacy brands.

The first six months of 2021 have rewarded plug-in hybrids perhaps simply for this very reason: a broader choice among popular body styles (that is, compact crossovers). If that’s the case, BEVs could soon recover their leading position as the number of new fully electric models of this kind keeps soaring. Either way, this month’s overall market share of 9.4% for plug-in cars (second highest result to date for Italy) is likely to be the new base from which an exciting second half of the year will build momentum. . . .

Not in BC. We are down to 12 new leafs in the province and a few dozen bolts. There are a few other brands but you can only by them from a few special dealers. The local VW dealer mentioned to a friend they had no intention of doing the upgrades to the dealership so they could sell EV’s as there was still 13.5 years to the deadline for new gas vehicle phase out here.

The vast majority of EV’s sold here are still Tesla’s and that only happens for about 3 or 4 weeks every 3 months. 4 month waiting list to get one. Ugh.

As has been noted previously, the most desired type of LDVs in the U.S. and Europe are compact/midsize CUVs, and with the ID.4, Mach-E and RAV4 Prime already here and a bunch of other new, somewhat lower-priced BEV/PHEV CUVs from major manufacturers due to arrive this year, the diffusion beyond Tesla is definitely happening (where they're available).

I think that the longer word of mouth and social media note that Tesla isn't primarily interested in build quality or pre-release testing, the more people will gravitate to EVs from manufacturers with whom they already have a relationship. It's great fun to watch a Model S Plaid humilate Porshe (and everybody else), but when it comes to buying yoir own personal car you want comfort and reliability as much as performance - at least if you aren't young and carefree. ;)

Both IEVS:
Global Plug-In Car Sales June 2021: Record Of Over 580,000

https://insideevs.com/news/523953/global-plugin-car-sales-june2021/

The plug-in car market heads to above 6 million units sold in 2021 and double-digit market share.
Global passenger plug-in electric car sales increased in June by 153% year-over-year to about 583,000, which is the new all-time monthly record.

That's also not too far from the over 700,000 hybrids sold in the same timeframe. The total xEV (BEVs, PHEVs, HEVs) market share is already at about 20% globally.

Plug-in market share improved to 8.7%, including:

BEVs: about 407,000 (up 154% year-over-year) and 6.1% share
PHEVs: about 176,500 (up 151% year-over-year) and 2.6% share
Total: 583,507 (up 153% year-over-year) and 8.7% share

So far this year, passenger plug-in electric car sales stand at over 2.5 million, while the market share increased to 6.3%. It's expected that in 2021 plug-in car sales will exceed 6 million. . . .

Norway: Plug-In Car Sales Maintain 85% Share In July 2021

https://insideevs.com/news/524292/norway-plugin-car-sales-july2021/

July was another strong month for plug-in electric car sales in Norway, where all-electric cars make up almost two-thirds of all new registrations.

In total, 8,897 new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered last month, which is 33% more than a year ago and 84.7% of the total car market! Other types of vehicles must fight for the remaining 15% (8.4% ICEs, 6.9% HEVs) before they will entirely fade in the coming years.

Stats for the month:

BEVs: 6,731 (up 53%, at 64.1% market share) + 992 "used" + 193 new vans
PHEVs: 2,166 (down 5%, at 20.6% market share)
Total: 8,897 (up 33%, at 84.7% market share). . . .

Unfortunately, the basic report does not reveal the share of plug-ins for Toyota RAV4 and Volvo XC40 (one of the top models in Norway).

Biden issued a press statement proclaiming that the tide will rise and fall, and Sun will rise and set, and EVs will be ~50% of vehicle sales by 2030. Okay, he called it an "executive order".

Counting HEVs. :eek:

How bold. ;)

Even if subsidies and incentives are cut out, the USA is likely to get close to that, or even exceed that. BEVs are better now, and are likely to be cheaper for most drivers before 2025. Even without the EPA fleet fuel economy requirement increases.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/08/biden-reveals-lackluster-new-ev-policy-no-plans-to-phase-out-gasoline/

Didn't invite Elon. Musk, of course, wants subsidies for the SuperCharger(TM) network. The halfway amusing part of this is this makes Musk a hero to some of the Fox News crowd. He does fit in, being autocratic, erratic and hating the whole idea of accountability for his actions.

The automakers generally love this: "Electric vehicles are much further along than they were nine years ago, with every major automaker rushing EVs to market. That now makes it much easier for automakers to slash emissions across their fleets, while, ironically, allowing the government to soften efficiency targets for vehicles that still run on gasoline."

AP " And muscle cars are likely to be even faster when switched to electricity. In nearly all cases, electric vehicles have more instantaneous power than gasoline vehicles. "

Not sure if anyone saw this, I think it came out of the "vote-orama" yesterday.

Proposed a 100k income limit and a 40k cap for EV price to qualify for the EV Tax credit.

I know it is "non binding".

If it went in to place, that would really limit what EVs qualify. Pretty much rules out any trucks. Also, it doesn't say if 100k income limit is single or married income.

https://insideevs.com/news/526243/senate-ev-tax-credit-limit/

Back