Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All GCC:
Air New Zealand and Airbus to look into potential for hydrogen-powered aircraft in shorter domestic flights
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210920-newzealand.html

Air New Zealand and Airbus have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to cooperate on a joint research project to better understand the opportunities and challenges of flying zero-emission hydrogen aircraft in New Zealand.

Under the MoU, Air New Zealand will analyze the impact hydrogen aircraft may have on its network, operations and infrastructure, while Airbus will provide hydrogen aircraft performance requirements and ground operations characteristics to support Air New Zealand to develop its decarbonization roadmap.

At this stage, both hydrogen and battery electric aircraft are still on the table as potential options for our shorter domestic flights, along with Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) for long haul operations. This research will help to inform future decision making as we work to decarbonize the airline.
—Air New Zealand CEO Greg Foran . . . .

Airbus is currently looking at three concepts for hydrogen-powered aircraft, including a turboprop, turbofan and blended-wing option.

Germany’s BMVI awarding Fraunhofer €80M for fuel cell production efforts

Germany’s BMVI awarding Fraunhofer €80M for fuel cell production efforts

Germany’s Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) is awarding €80 million to the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft’s National Action Plan for Fuel Cell Production. Financing is provided by the future fund of the “Concerted Action Mobility” and is intended to promote the transformation of the automotive industry—in particular the supplier industry.

The alliance with the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is a new dimension for advancing fuel cell production. With the nationwide establishment of a research network specifically for fuel cells, we want to reduce significantly the costs of hydrogen vehicles on the one hand and to position the German supplier industry well for the future with a fuel cell made in Germany on the other. I am firmly convinced that we will make Germany a hydrogen country.

—Andreas Scheuer, Federal Minister for Transport and Digital Infrastructure

Hydrogen is a decisive factor for the energy turnaround aimed at by society as a whole. Hydrogen technologies play a key role in transforming industry towards sustainable value creation. For a targeted technological and economic implementation, however, the development of new production technologies for high market volumes is necessary—especially with a view to fuel cells as one of the essential core elements of a hydrogen economy.

—Prof. Reimund Neugebauer, President of the Fraunhofer Society. . . .

Details of locations and specific research etc. in original.

Ballard launches FCmove-HD+ fuel cell power module for trucks and buses

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210917-ballard.html

. . . The new FCmove-HD+, with a 100 kW power output, is smaller, lighter, more efficient, and lower cost than previous generations, and has been designed to improve ease of vehicle integration. With its compact design, it has been engineered for both engine bay and rooftop configurations, enabling optionality in truck and bus applications.

The FCmove-HD+ is more than 40% more compact and more than 30% lighter than the previous 100 kW module, with 50% less component parts. This results in an anticipated 40% improvement in total lifecycle cost while maintaining leading operating performance, high efficiency, and wide operating range.

FCmove products are being integrated by Ballard bus and truck OEM partners. The first vehicles powered by the 100 kW, FCmove-HD+ are anticipated in 2022, including in the fuel cell trucks recently announced with Hexagon Purus and QUANTRON.

GCC:
Plug Power to build largest green hydrogen production facility on US west coast; 30 tonnes of LH2 per day

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210921-plugpower.html

Plug Power is expanding its green hydrogen ecosystem to the US west coast with the construction of a new production facility in Fresno County, California. Green hydrogen is produced through the electrolysis of water with electricity generated from zero-carbon sources; only oxygen is emitted during the process.

As the largest green hydrogen production facility on the west coast, the plant will produce 30 metric tons of liquid green hydrogen daily, serving customers from San Diego to Vancouver. The facility will use a new 300 megawatt zero-carbon solar farm to power 120 megawatts of Plug Power’s state-of-the-art PEM electrolyzers.

The California plant joins the company’s growing national network of plants in New York, Tennessee, and Georgia that will supply 500 tons per day of liquid green hydrogen by 2025, replacing 4.3 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, and 1,000 tons per day globally by 2028.

When fully built, the network of plants in the US will offer transportation fuel to customers that is price-competitive with diesel, the company said. . . .

The project includes construction of a new tertiary wastewater treatment plant in the city of Mendota that will provide recycled water for the people of Mendota and supply the full needs of the plant.

Pending environmental and construction permitting approvals, the plant will break ground in early 2023, with complete commissioning in early 2024.

So, I've been working from the office the past few days. On Wednesday night, near midnight I left to go home, passing by the H2 station (it's a gas station with one H2 dispenser). I saw a a Mirai fueling.

From a distance, I could see two more Mirais and one car unknown to me before I went up a ramp. Two were waiting from the street as there's no other logical way to queue up there for where the H2 pump is. I didn't bother turning around to go over to talk to the drivers.

For kicks, a Google search for hydrogen shortage bay area turned up https://www.reddit.com/r/Mirai/comments/pr4wvz/hydrogen_shortage/ that began 4 days ago.

Thanks to a hint from https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/hydrogen-vs-battery.2048/page-211#post-5844143, I found https://m.cafcp.org/. The status isn't looking so good right now...

ABG:
Could the next Prius join Toyota's hydrogen offensive?
Rumors say the Prius will get its pioneering spirit back

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/23/toyota-prius-hydrogen-fuel-cell/

. . . Japanese magazine Best Car learned from unnamed sources that the fifth-generation Prius will join Toyota's hydrogen offensive. While the Mirai is equipped with a fuel cell that uses hydrogen to produce the electricity needed to spin the wheels, the next Prius will reportedly gain a hydrogen-burning engine very similar to the three-cylinder unit that Toyota built for its experimental Corolla race car earlier in 2021. It will work jointly with the next evolution of Toyota's hybrid system, which consists of a battery pack, a motor, and the required electronics.

Lapping a track in a prototype is relatively easy; building a car that thousands of motorists can reliably use daily, in a variety of conditions, is much more difficult. That's why the hydrogen-electric Prius won't arrive until 2025, according to the same source. Whether it will be sold in the United States — where the hydrogen infrastructure is still developing at best — remains to be seen. Japan may be its largest market. . . .

Not every version of the next Prius will ride the hydrogen train. The model is allegedly scheduled to arrive in December 2022 (meaning it will likely be branded a 2023 model in America) with a more conventional gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain built around a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine. The plug-in hybrid Prime will make a comeback as well, likely with powertrain improvements that increase its electric range.

Toyota hasn't commented on the report, though it has repeatedly stressed that it's committed to democratizing hydrogen technology, and it hasn't said a word about the fifth-generation Prius. If the rumor is true, we'll soon find out more about the hybrid poster child's next move.

cwerdna said:
So, I've been working from the office the past few days. On Wednesday night, near midnight I left to go home, passing by the H2 station (it's a gas station with one H2 dispenser). I saw a a Mirai fueling.

From a distance, I could see two more Mirais and one car unknown to me before I went up a ramp. Two were waiting from the street as there's no other logical way to queue up there for where the H2 pump is. I didn't bother turning around to go over to talk to the drivers.

For kicks, a Google search for hydrogen shortage bay area turned up https://www.reddit.com/r/Mirai/comments/pr4wvz/hydrogen_shortage/ that began 4 days ago.

Thanks to a hint from https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/hydrogen-vs-battery.2048/page-211#post-5844143, I found https://m.cafcp.org/. The status isn't looking so good right now...

Yes, we definitely need both more supply and more diverse suppliers. Fortunately that's underway; the link in my post immediately preceding yours gives an example.

I've only had time so far to glance at California's "2021 Annual Evaluation of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Deployment and Hydrogen Fuel Station Network Development", which I posted a link to up-topic. It mentions:
In recent months, low station reliability has also emerged as a serious concern affecting today’s
drivers and, if left unaddressed, could become a barrier to further FCEV adoption. Individual and
groups of stations have at times been unavailable for customer fueling due to a variety of reasons
including hydrogen supply chain disruptions and equipment performance and reliability issues. Some
relief is expected by the end of 2021 and early 2022 as more resources for hydrogen production and
delivery will come on-line. Still, station reliability is a concern that will require near-term and long-
term solutions to minimize negative experiences for today’s drivers and ensure this does not become
a barrier to further FCEV adoption.

Also:
Long-term projections, mostly in optional
survey reporting periods, have consistently been higher than actual FCEV sales. In order to further
accelerate the future growth of the FCEV population, multiple barriers to adoption will need to be
overcome, including limited model availability, high FCEV prices, high hydrogen fuel prices, and
limited consumer awareness.

That list is pretty much the same for BEVs, although we're finally starting to see BEV model availability expand into more popular types.

On the positive side, the H2 being dispensed has far exceeded the original 33% and later 40% renewable H2 required for a grant. From the same source:
Due to the large number of stations participating in these programs, CARB projects that the future network will
maintain a minimum 40 percent renewable content through 2027. In fact, recent reporting from
station operators and through the LCFS program suggest that most of California’s hydrogen network
has temporarily operated at even higher renewable content. Estimates based on these reports and
LCFS program data indicate that an estimated 90 percent renewable content was achieved in 20205.
This emphasis on renewable hydrogen appears to have been sustained, as 92 percent renewable
content has been achieved in 2021 for those stations reporting to the LCFS program

Station growth is starting to pick up again, from a low starting in mid-2019 (Air Products H2 production plant explosion limited supply), then:

On-the-ground development of hydrogen stations has been impacted for more
than a year by the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, but recent advancements have set California
on a path that holds substantial opportunity for future growth. California’s network now consists
of 48 hydrogen fueling stations that are open to the public (referred to as “Open-Retail”) and an
estimated 7,993 FCEVs are currently active on California’s roads1. Based on information provided by
station developers, CEC, and the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-
Biz), CARB estimates that as many as 62 hydrogen fueling stations may be included in the state’s
hydrogen fueling network and more than 10,000 FCEVs may be on California’s roads by the end of
2021. Station development over the past year has been slower than previously projected, partly due
to delays in station permitting, construction, and opening caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Another surprisingly positive trend (to me anyway, this early in deployment when the opportunity for profit would seem to be low to non-existent) is the following:

. In addition, private industry had previously begun development on 8 stations without any
request of State grant funds and an additional 15 stations have since been announced through
fully private financing (for a total of 23 stations planned or under development with fully private financing).

I passed by that station again tonight at around 10:30 pm. I saw one H2 car fueling and one behind him in line.

It was already too late to turn around. To turn around requires quite a roundabout path.

GCC:
Cummins beginning development of medium-duty and heavy-duty hydrogen combustion engines; H2-ICE program

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210924-cumminsh2ice.html

Cummins announced that its hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engine (H2-ICE) program is beginning development of a medium-duty 6.7-liter and a heavy-duty 15-liter engine. . . .

The development of the 6.7-liter hydrogen engine will focus on medium-duty truck, buses, and construction applications, such as excavators and wheel loaders. A new 15-liter platform offers the potential to bring hydrogen gas-fueled engine capability to heavy-duty long-haul trucks.

Cummins global technical centers will work together to achieve commercial viability for the H2-ICE project on a global basis. Part of the development work to be undertaken at Cummins Darlington facility and will be supported by a funding award recently received from the UK Government, provided through the Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC), recognizing the potential for Cummins H2-ICE to play a major role in de-carbonizing transport from 2025 onward.

Using proven and existing engine platforms for the H2-ICE program also means that Cummins will be able to use its existing engine production facilities and service support network reducing costs and improving efficiency. In addition, the company can also reduce vehicle and equipment re-development timelines, as many existing driveline components can be retained when paired with the hydrogen-fueled engines.

Cummins adds another important resource in terms of integrating the hydrogen engine with the high-pressure gas vessels and supply lines it makes through its JV, NPROXX, which are installed on the vehicle or the equipment. Cummins’ role in expanding the hydrogen economy also extends to the design and manufacture of PEM fuel cells and renewable green hydrogen by proton exchange membrane (PEM) electrolyzers, uniquely linking a Cummins hydrogen ecosphere from production to vehicle power and fuel storage.

All GCC:
MAHLE Powertrain and Bramble Energy launch Phase 1 PCBFC demonstrator vehicle; range-extended EV

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210927-mahle.html

. . . Bramble Energy’s innovative PCBFC technology significantly reduces the manufacturing cost of hydrogen fuel cell powertrains. . . .

While conventional fuel cell stacks rely on stamped plates to hold the various layers, Bramble Energy’s approach leverages PCB manufacturing technology, which can be produced cheaply, in virtually any shape using flexible production techniques. . . .

The phase 1 results of the collaboration are based around a Renault Kangoo ZE delivery vehicle that sees a 5 kW Bramble Energy fuel cell integrated into the powertrain acting as a range extender. Future development will focus on creating a derivative with a higher power output and increased overall efficiency.

INEOS investing additional $1.4B in Grangemouth complex in next phase of GHG reductions; blue hydrogen

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210927-ineos.html

INEOS will invest an additional £1 billion (US$1.4 billion) in Grangemouth, its integrated refinery and petrochemicals complex in Scotland, in the next phase of reducing greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2045.

Grangemouth, one of Scotland’s largest manufacturing sites, is owned and operated by INEOS and Petroineos, a joint venture formed between INEOS and PetroChina in 2011. INEOS acquired Grangemouth in 2005, and has so far delivered a 37% reduction in net CO2 emissions.

INEOS has already committed more than £500 million (US$684 million) to projects which are approved and currently being implemented at Grangemouth. This includes investment in a New Energy Plant, which is due for completion in late 2023 and will supply energy to all site operations. (The fuel source will be mixed gas, sourced from within the Grangemouth Complex via pipe infrastructure.) The efficient technology will drive down emissions by at least 150,000 tonnes of CO2 per year.

INEOS’ Road Map lays out the path to a reduction in excess of 60% in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 through a series of investments, partnerships, and innovative engineering.

The Road Map involves a move to the production and use of hydrogen by all businesses at the Grangemouth site accompanied by carbon capture and storage of at least 1 million tonnes per annum of CO2 by 2030. This will include capturing CO2 from existing hydrogen production and the construction of a world-scale carbon-capture-enabled hydrogen production plant.

Additional contributions to driving down emissions will come from further investments in energy reduction and optimization, along with electrification of key equipment. There will also be a shift in the polymer product portfolio to include higher levels of post-consumer recycled content.

In July, NEOS Chemicals Grangemouth, INEOS FPS and Petroineos, signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Acorn CCS Project to work together to develop Scotland’s first carbon capture and storage system linking Scotland’s industrial heartland to the Acorn CO2 transport and storage system in North East Scotland by 2027.

The Petroineos JV operates the Grangemouth Refinery. As Scotland’s only crude oil refinery, Petroineos is the primary supplier of aviation fuel for Scotland’s main airports and the major supplier of gasoline and diesel across Scotland’s Central Belt, as well as in Northern Ireland and Northern England.

INEOS O&P UK operates the Olefins and Polymers petrochemical plants at Grangemouth. The raw materials used by this business present an outlet for North Sea gases, delivered via the co-located Forties Pipeline System. Its finished products of ethylene, propylene, polyethylene, polypropylene, and ethanol are used as the building blocks in a multitude of sectors, making products in pharmaceutical & healthcare, agriculture, construction & utilities, food & beverage, and automotive & transport sectors. . . .

Wartsila and Samsung Heavy to collaborate on ammonia-fueled engines for future newbuilds

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210927-wartsila-2.html

Wartsila and the Korean shipbuilding company Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) have signed a joint development program (JDP) agreement aimed at developing ammonia-fueled vessels with 4-stroke auxiliary engines available for future newbuild projects. Both parties recognise the importance of future carbon-free fuels in the marine industry’s drive towards decarbonization. The agreement was signed in July 2021.

Wartsila has a leading role in developing engines for operation on future clean fuels, and has already successfully tested an engine running with a fuel mix containing 70% ammonia. The company anticipates having an engine concept capable of operating with 100% ammonia in 2023. . . .

According to SHI, the most likely initial newbuild targets for ships utilizing ammonia fuel will be container vessels and very large crude carriers, operating with 2-stroke main engines and 4-stroke Wärtsilä auxiliary engines.

Separately, Bureau Veritas (BV), a world leader in testing, inspection, and certification, delivered an Approval in Principle (AiP) to Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd. (HHI) and Korea Shipbuilding & Offshore Engineering Co., Ltd. (KSOE) for its innovative design and development of an ammonia carrier with ammonia-fueled propulsion.

The design was developed to ensure its compatibility with the existing infrastructure for ammonia, while also reflecting the market’s demand for very large gas carriers (VLGCs). The vessel will be 227m long, 36.6m wide, and 23.6m deep—similar dimensions to that of the HHI 91K VLGC design.

It will be equipped with four (4) prismatic-type cargo tanks with a total capacity of 91,000 cubic meters. This design was optimized for the safe and efficient carriage of ammonia as a single cargo, thereby maximising competitiveness for shipowners, both in terms of CAPEX and OPEX.

Porsche Consulting supporting Hydrogenious’ efforts to scale up LOHC activities

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210928-lohc.html

Hydrogenious LOHC Technologies GmbH has developed a technology that binds hydrogen gas with a carrier oil. (Earlier post.) . . . .

Hydrogenious’ LOHC technology bonds hydrogen molecules to the organic carrier (dibenzyltoluene) via an exothermic catalytic process. The uptake is 57 kg of H2 per cubic meter LOHC. The LOHC remains in a liquid state across a broad temperature range and ambient pressure. It is thus transportable using conventional fuel infrastructure.

Dehydrogenation—the release of the H2 from the carrier—is an endothermic process with about 11 kWhth/kgH2required at 300 deg. C.

Porsche Consulting will be supporting Hydrogenious’s efforts to further scale up its activities.

One challenge for the adoption of green hydrogen as an element of a clean energy strategy is how to make sufficient quantities of green hydrogen available in economically viable ways. A key role is therefore played by imports from regions such as Spain, the Middle East, Africa, and Australia. However, storage and transport of this volatile gas have thus far proved difficult. The Hydrogenious LOHC Technologies company, based in the northern Bavarian city of Erlangen, offers a solution: a process it has developed by which green hydrogen is bound to an organic carrier—an oil. The gas thus can be stored and transported under ambient conditions. It is then released and the oil is reused for the next load.

The high storage density of the LOHC process enables it to handle five times as much hydrogen as compression processes.

Dr. Andreas Lehmann, the company’s head of strategy, notes that the company can use all the infrastructure instruments that already exist for conventional fuels like diesel, including oil tankers, pumps, and tanker trucks. Moreover, the oil is exceedingly stable and secure because it can be handled and stored under normal conditions. It is not explosive or volatile, and emits no toxic corrosive vapors such as ammonia.

The process is currently being tested at multiple demonstration facilities. The largest is planned for CHEMPARK in the town of Dormagen, with an anticipated storage capacity of five tons a day.

In July of this year the company, which now holds 45 patents and employs 125 people, entered a joint venture with the Scandinavian shipping enterprise Johannes Østensjø dy AS. The Hydrogenious LOHC Maritime AS joint subsidiary is expected to develop and market an innovative emission-free LOHC-based application for the shipping sector. The first freighter equipped with the novel technology “developed in Erlangen” could set off as early as 2024.

DOE awards Cummins $5M for automation of electrolyzer cell and stack assembly

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210928-cummins.html

Cummins has been awarded $5 million from the US Department of Energy (DOE) Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies Office for the automation of solid oxide electrolyzer cell (SOEC) and stack assembly. This project furthers the company’s efforts as a leader in alternative power and a pioneer in green hydrogen technologies.

Cummins’ three-year project aims to automate the manufacturing of SOECs to make production of the electrolyzer systems more efficient, reducing capital costs and facilitating the scale-up of the hydrogen economy. . . .

The aim of the Cummins project is the automated assembly of an SOEC stack with low direct labor input, increased cell throughput and a 100% quality control check. Following successful development, the automation concept should enable more than 100 MW of electrolyzer production capacity.

The DOE is funding 31 projects that advance next-generation clean hydrogen technologies, totaling $52.5 million. The Cummins project is one of 19 of these projects supported by the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) that are related to hydrogen and fuel cell research and development. The DOE is funding the Cummins project in the amount of $5 million, the largest award of these 19 projects.

These projects also support the DOE’s recently announced Hydrogen Energy Earthshot to reduce the cost and accelerate breakthroughs in the clean hydrogen sector. All 31 projects focus on bridging technical gaps in hydrogen production, storage, distribution and utilization technologies, thereby paving the way toward decarbonization of the electricity sector by 2035. . . .

Ford and AVL developing fuel cell electric commercial vehicle demonstrator based on Jumbo Transit

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210928-avl.html

AVL Powertrain UK Limited and Ford Motor Company are working together on an Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC)-funded research and development project to define, design, develop and test a driveable demonstrator Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV). The goal of the project is to accelerate UK-based FCEV expertise and know-how to support the automotive industry’s drive towards zero-emission propulsion. AVL will lead the following areas of the project:

Defining the balance of plant components and the integration of the fuel cell (FC) and hydrogen systems into the vehicle;

Building the FC system and integrating it into the vehicle;

Creating a digital toolset comprising a coupled vehicle and FC and cooling subsystem models; and

Developing the FC system and H2 system BSW and ASW (Basic Software and Application Software in the AUTOSAR layered architecture). . . .

The project will use a prototype Ford Transit Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) and a modularized fuel cell system approach. The heavy BEV battery will be replaced by a smaller battery. In addition, a PEM fuel cell system will be installed and the prototype’s electric motors will be retained.

A concurrent simulation approach will aid the design and development of the FCEV, which will ensure that the right battery and BoP component sizing is selected. This will help assess the benefits of FCEV (long range, fast refilling and increased payload) compared with BEV for high-payload usage in the light-duty commercial vehicle sector.

Findings. First and foremost, with its findings, the project hopes to be able to determine the correct vehicle attributes and relevant system requirements for a feasible fuel cell electric commercial vehicle. In the end, these will facilitate pre-defined customer “use-cases”.

The findings will not only be used to develop the package design and functionality for a drivable FCEV, but they will also help identify key challenges and critical decisions in the development process. The findings will also assist in identifying component sizing—including battery and fuel stack—for near-optimal vehicle configuration. Finally, the findings will clarify developments in the wider UK hydrogen ecosystem.

A coupled simulation of the vehicle and the FC system will be the cornerstone for future phases of FC vehicle development. The simulation will be used in the current project to aid component selection and will be validated against the FCEV demo

GCC:
Linde joins H2Accelerate collaboration as 7th member to accelerate the deployment of green hydrogen for trucking

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210929-linde.html

. . . The H2Accelerate collaboration was formed by truck OEMs Daimler Truck, IVECO, and Volvo Group, and hydrogen infrastructure players OMV, Shell, and TotalEnergies, to accelerate the deployment of green hydrogen for trucking.

Linde is a global leader in the production, processing, storage, and distribution of hydrogen and has built close to 200 hydrogen refueling stations to date, including for heavy-duty vehicles. The company will work with existing H2Accelerate participants to seek funding for early pre-commercial fuel cell truck projects and engage with policymakers to encourage a policy environment which will support the scale-up of the hydrogen truck market. . . .

Linde has the largest liquid hydrogen capacity and distribution system in the world. The company operates the world’s first high-purity hydrogen storage cavern plus pipeline networks totalling approximately 1,000 kilometers globally. The company offers electrolysis technology through the joint venture ITM Linde Electrolysis GmbH as well as ultra-high-purity hydrogen supply solutions for the semiconductor industry. . . .

Pushed for time so mostly just links rather than quotes. All GCC:
Nikola and OPAL Fuels to co-develop and construct hydrogen fueling stations and related infrastructure for Class 8 FCEVs

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211001-nikola.html

RMI report maps out pathway for zero-carbon steel industry in China

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211003-rmichina.html

Ardian, FiveT Hydrogen launch largest clean hydrogen infrastructure investment platform Hy24; €1.5B for first fund

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211003-ardian.html

Emerson and BayoTech partner to scale production and distribution of low-cost, modular SMRs for hydrogen production

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211004-bayotech.html

ABB and PERIC join forces to develop future efficient hydrogen electrolyzers

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211004-abb.html

IEA: Decisive action by governments is critical to unlock growth for low-carbon hydrogen

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211004-ieah2.html

. . . Currently, global production of low-carbon hydrogen is minimal, its cost is not yet competitive, and its use in promising sectors such as industry and transport remains limited—but there are encouraging signs that it is on the cusp of significant cost declines and widespread global growth, according the IEA’s Global Hydrogen Review 2021.

When the IEA released its special report on The Future of Hydrogen for the G20 in 2019, only France, Japan and Korea had strategies for the use of hydrogen. Today, 17 governments have released hydrogen strategies, more than 20 others have publicly announced they are working to develop strategies, and numerous companies are seeking to tap into hydrogen business opportunities. Pilot projects are underway to produce steel and chemicals with low-carbon hydrogen, with other industrial uses under development. The cost of fuel cells that run on hydrogen continue to fall, and sales of fuel-cell vehicles are growing. . . .

The main obstacle to the extensive use of low-carbon hydrogen is the cost of producing it. This requires either large amounts of electricity to produce it from water, or the use of carbon capture technologies if the hydrogen is produced from fossil fuels. Almost all hydrogen produced today comes from fossil fuels without carbon capture, resulting in close to 900 million tonnes of CO2 emissions, equivalent to the combined CO2 emissions of the United Kingdom and Indonesia.

Investments and focused policies are needed to close the price gap between low-carbon hydrogen and emissions-intensive hydrogen produced from fossil fuels. Depending on the prices of natural gas and renewable electricity, producing hydrogen from renewables can cost between 2 and 7 times as much as producing it from natural gas without carbon capture. But with technological advances and economies of scale, the cost of making hydrogen with solar PV electricity can become competitive with hydrogen made with natural gas, as set out in the IEA’s Roadmap to Net Zero by 2050.

Global capacity of electrolyzers has doubled over the last five years, with about 350 projects currently under development and another 40 projects in early stages of development. Should all these projects be realized, global hydrogen supply from electrolysers—which creates zero emissions provided the electricity used is clean—would reach 8 million tonnes by 2030. This is a huge increase from today’s level of less than 50,000 tonnes, but remains well below the 80 million tonnes required in 2030 in the IEA pathway to net zero emissions by 2050.

Practically all hydrogen use in 2020 was for refining and industrial applications. Hydrogen can be used in many more applications than those common today, the report highlights. Hydrogen has important potential uses in sectors where emissions are particularly challenging to reduce, such as chemicals, steel, long-haul trucking, shipping and aviation.

The broader issue is that policy action so far focuses on the production of low-carbon hydrogen while the necessary corresponding steps that are required to build demand in new applications is limited. Enabling greater use of hydrogen in industry and transport will require much stronger policy measures to foster the construction of the necessary storage, transmission and charging facilities.

Countries with hydrogen strategies have committed at least US$37 billion to the development and deployment of hydrogen technologies, and the private sector has announced additional investment of US$300 billion. But putting the hydrogen sector on path consistent with global net zero emissions by 2050 requires US$1,200 billion of investment between now and 2030, the IEA estimates. . . .

Link to report here: https://www.iea.org/news/decisive-a...ical-to-unlock-growth-for-low-carbon-hydrogen

It's been a busy week on the H2 & FCEV front. All GCC:
Nikola and TC Energy to co-develop large-scale clean hydrogen hubs

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211008-nikola.html

Nikola Corporation and TC Energy Corporation, a leading North American energy infrastructure company, have agreed to collaborate on co-developing, constructing, operating and owning large-scale hydrogen production facilities (hubs) in the United States and Canada.

Nikola’s Energy business unit and TC Energy are actively collaborating to identify and ro develop projects to establish the infrastructure required to deliver low-cost and low-carbon hydrogen at scale in line with each company’s core objectives. Furthermore, Nikola and TC Energy desire to accelerate the adoption of heavy-duty zero-emission fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) and hydrogen across industrial sectors by establishing hubs in key geographic locations.

A key objective of the collaboration is to establish hubs producing 150 tonnes or more of hydrogen per day near highly traveled truck corridors to serve Nikola’s planned need for hydrogen to fuel its Class 8 FCEVs within the next five years.

TC Energy has significant pipeline, storage and power assets that potentially can be leveraged to lower the cost and increase the speed of delivery of these hydrogen production hubs. This may include exploring the integration of midstream assets to enable hydrogen distribution and storage via pipeline and/or to deliver CO2 to permanent sequestration sites to decarbonize the hydrogen production process.

Both Nikola and TC Energy are committed to reducing the carbon intensity (CI) of hydrogen produced and delivered to end-use markets utilizing renewable energy, as well as low-cost natural gas, renewable natural gas and biomass feedstocks paired with carbon capture and storage. Nikola and TC Energy are aligned in a technology-agnostic approach to find the best pathway to hydrogen production for each unique geography that is intended to result in the lowest CI and a clear pathway to achieve net-zero CI over time. . . .

Clean Energy awarded $13M contract to build hydrogen station and supply fuel for Foothill Transit buses

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211008-cleanenergy.html

Clean Energy Fuels Corp. won a competitive solicitation to design, construct, and maintain a hydrogen station and supply liquid hydrogen fuel for Foothill Transit, an environmentally-friendly bus service in Southern California that averages 14 million rides a year. . . .

The agency is now entrusting Clean Energy to build its first hydrogen station in Pomona, CA, as it expands into another clean alternative fuel. The contract is valued at more than $13 million.

The project will be funded using assistance from the Federal Transportation Agency. Foothill Transit has placed an initial order for 20 New Flyer fuel cell buses, and the station is designed to support many more. . . .

In response to the solicitation, five proposals were submitted to Foothill Transit. Following interviews and an evaluation, Clean Energy was selected, receiving the highest technical and overall score.

Clean Energy is a leader in the development and delivery of RNG, a sustainable fuel derived from organic waste, which will represent 33.3% of the hydrogen feedstock for Foothill Transit buses. , , ,

DOE awards $20M to project to produce clean hydrogen from nuclear power

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211008-pnw.html

. . . The project, based in Arizona, will make progress on DOE’s H2@Scale vision for clean hydrogen across multiple sectors and help meet the Department’s Hydrogen Shot goal of $1 per 1 kilogram in one decade.

The project, led by PNW Hydrogen LLC, will receive $12 million from the DOE’s Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies Office (HFTO) and $8 million from DOE’s Office of Nuclear Energy (NE) for a total award of $20 million. The project will produce clean hydrogen from nuclear power at the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station in Phoenix, Arizona—the largest nuclear plant and the single-largest generator of carbon-free electricity in the US.

Six tonnes of stored hydrogen will be used to produce approximately 200 MWh electricity during times of high demand, and may be also used to make chemicals and other fuels. The project will provide insights about integrating nuclear energy with hydrogen production technologies and inform future clean hydrogen production deployments at scale. . . .

Hyundai Mobis investing $1.1B in 2 new hydrogen fuel cell system plants in Korea

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211009-mobis.html

. . . The new plants will start mass production in the second half of 2023. When fully operational, the facilities are expected to produce 100,000 hydrogen fuel cells every year.

Once they are completed, Hyundai Mobis will operate a total of three fuel cells plants. In 2018, the company became the world’s first to set up a complete production system from fuel cell stack to rest of electronic components in Chungju. The Chungju plant is capable of producing approximately 23,000 hydrogen cell systems a year.

With the completion of the new plants, Hyundai Mobis plans to diversify its hydrogen business. Most fuel cell systems produced by Hyundai Mobis are used in fuel cell EVs but the company is expected to scale its business to other sectors such as construction machinery and logistics equipment.

Last year, Hyundai Mobis developed fuel cell power packs that go into hydrogen forklifts, opening up the possibility for entry into the construction machinery sector. The hydrogen power packs used by forklifts are generators that produce electricity on their own by combining a fuel cell stack, a hydrogen tank, and a cooling device.

Now the company is developing power packs for hydrogen-fueled excavator and plans to expand the fuel cell systems for small air mobility. . . .

Hyundai North America joins Shell Hydrogen’s Project Neptune to grow hydrogen refueling infrastructure in California

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211009-neptune.html

. . . Project Neptune seeks the construction of 48 additional and two upgraded hydrogen refueling stations across the state beginning in 2021. Two other fuel cell vehicle manufacturers—Toyota and Honda—have also joined the consortium with respective agreements for fuel cell vehicle sales to support infrastructure growth.

The project is to develop hydrogen refueling stations by adding hydrogen storage, compression, and dispensing equipment with an estimated maximum footprint of 2,000 square feet and trenching of up to 100 feet at existing retail gasoline stations. The storage tanks will hold 600 and 1,200 kg of hydrogen at 55 bar. The hydrogen station will dispense at 770 and 1,420 kg per 24 hour period.

In its portion of the agreement, Hyundai has committed to fuel cell vehicle sales growth supporting the expanding hydrogen infrastructure. . . .

Hydrogen refueling infrastructure growth is critical to increase consumer adoption of zero-emission fuel cell vehicles rapidly. By joining Project Neptune, Hyundai reinforces its commitment to fuel cell technologies and their positive impact on the environment, a key pillar of its long-range strategic vision.

The new hydrogen stations will be partially funded by public funds from the California Energy Commission (CEC). . . .

Hydrogen Heavy Duty Vehicle Industry Group signs agreements to industrialize 70 MPa high-flow refueling; H70HF

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211009-h70hf.html

The Hydrogen Heavy Duty Vehicle Industry Group—comprising Air Liquide, Hyundai, Nel Hydrogen, Nikola Corporation, Shell and Toyota—has signed agreements with Tatsuno Corporation and Transfer Oil S.p.A. to industrialize globally-standard 70 MPa hydrogen heavy-duty vehicle high-flow (H70HF) fueling hardware components.

The Industry Group was formed in February 2019 with the goal of addressing hydrogen fueling hardware challenges of achieving the fueling speeds that are needed for heavy-duty applications today. Other goals include testing and evaluating the hardware’s performance and standardizing the connector design to ensure adoptability throughout the world.

The group created specifications for the fueling nozzle, vehicle receptacle, dispenser hose, and breakaway device components for this heavy-duty application.

This builds upon the collaboration of the hydrogen industry that achieved a global standard fueling interface for light-duty fuel cell electric vehicles. . . .

The fueling hardware is anticipated to support average hydrogen fueling rates of 10 kg/min—in line with the US Department of Energy’s Technical Targets for Hydrogen-Fueled Long-Haul Tractor-Trailer Trucks. Testing is planned at an independent test facility and scheduled to commence in Q4 2021, with preliminary performance and safety results available in Q1 2022.

NREL and Electric Hydrogen partner to develop high-performance electrolyzer components

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211009-nrel-eh.html

. . . The three-year, $3.6-million project will diagnose sources of degradation in commercial electrolysis cells and will validate advanced designs that use higher stack currents.

In June, Electric Hydrogen closed a $24-million Series A financing to support continued product development and expansion of its operations in the Greater Boston and San Francisco Bay areas. Electric Hydrogen was founded by a team of energy transition veterans from First Solar and Tesla. . . .

This project builds on more than a decade of research and capability investment at NREL by DOE’s Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies Office and supports DOE’s H2@Scale vision for clean hydrogen across multiple applications and economic sectors. It will complement ongoing work through two NREL-led, multi-lab consortia: Hydrogen from Next-generation Electrolysis of Water (H2NEW), focused on materials and component integration, manufacturing, and scale-up to help support large industry deployment of durable, efficient, and low-cost electrolyzers, and HydroGEN, focused on accelerating development of less mature water-splitting materials and technologies to complement the work of H2NEW.

For the Electric Hydrogen project, the researchers will specifically look at proton-exchange membrane electrolysis and will study the methods of managing heat and degradation with high current densities. The team members aim to integrate and optimize multiple specially engineered layers, shrinking the system size and costs while designing for a future large commercial-scale stack.

HyPoint working with BASF New Business to develop high-performance hydrogen fuel cell membranes for aviation; >3,000 W/kg

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211011-hypoint.html

HyPoint, a company developing turbo air-cooled hydrogen-fuel-cell systems for aviation and urban air mobility (earlier post), has entered into a strategic development agreement with BASF New Business GmbH (BNB), a subsidiary of chemical company BASF. The purpose of the partnership is to develop and test a new proton-conductive Celtec membrane with stronger mechanical properties that can operate at higher temperatures and a higher pressure differential, as well as related components and materials.

HyPoint’s core innovation is a new turbo air-cooling architecture. By utilizing compressed air for both cooling and oxygen supply, HyPoint reduces overall weight compared with traditional liquid cooling. HyPoint is also using a next-generation high temperature membrane (HTPEM) instead of a low temperature membrane (LTPEM), which increases the efficiency of a cooling system by at least 300%. . . .

The new high-performance fuel cell system is expected to achieve more than 3,000 W/kg, an increase of at least 50% over the current system, and become available to customers in mid-2024. . . .

BASF has been manufacturing Celtec membranes and MEAs for more than 15 years. While cyclic operation, various impurities in the gas flow, and changing environmental conditions can stress the materials used in low-temperature (LTPEM) fuel cells, Celtec HTPEM MEAs allow operation at temperatures between 120 °C and 180 °C, enabling a high tolerance to impurities while simplifying temperature and water management.

HyPoint’s current flagship hydrogen fuel cell system offers at least 2,000 W/kg of specific power—more than triple the power-to-weight ratio of traditional (liquid-cooled) hydrogen fuel cells systems—and up to 1,500 Wh/kg of energy density, enabling longer-distance journeys. HyPoint’s lightweight, climate-independent, extended-lifespan system increases operational time and utilization rate while decreasing total cost of ownership by as much as 50%. . . .

Repsol produces renewable hydrogen from biomethane from urban solid waste

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211011-repsol.html

Spain-based energy and petrochemical company Repsol has produced renewable hydrogen using biomethane as raw material for the first time. This renewable hydrogen was used to manufacture fuels with a low carbon footprint, such as gasoline, diesel, or kerosene for aviation.

This milestone took place at Repsol’s Cartagena Industrial Complex, where 10 tons of renewable hydrogen were produced from 500 MWh of biomethane, thus avoiding the emission of about 90 tons of CO2.

The biomethane used as raw material was obtained from urban solid waste. In this way, Repsol replaces conventional natural gas with biomethane of sustainable origin to produce renewable hydrogen in its industrial complexes and thus decarbonize its processes and products.

This first industrial test carried out by Repsol will also serve as an example for developing the system of guarantees of origin for renewable gases to be implemented in Spain. . . .

As for renewable hydrogen, Repsol has already announced its intention to become a market leader in the Iberian Peninsula by installing a capacity of 552 MW equivalent in 2025 and 1.9 GW in 2030. Repsol is currently the leading producer and consumer of hydrogen in Spain, and it uses this gas regularly as a raw material in its industrial processes.

The company is already deploying a multitude of projects throughout the renewable hydrogen value chain. It is promoting the creation of large regional consortiums to promote major industrial projects, such as the Basque Hydrogen Corridor, the Hydrogen Valley in Catalonia, the Hydrogen cluster in Castilla-La Mancha, and the renewable hydrogen hub around the Escombreras Valley in Cartagena.

On 20 September, Repsol announced that it will start up its first electrolyzer in Petronor, with a capacity of 2.5 MW, in 2022. In 2024, a 10 MW electrolyzer is scheduled to start up, also in the vicinity of Petronor, to serve the synthetic fuels plant that the company will build together with Saudi Aramco. In addition, Repsol plans to construct other electrolyzers at Petronor and Cartagena, each with a capacity of 100 MW, to supply its industrial complexes with renewable hydrogen.

The achievement of these objectives will be made possible through the installation of electrolyzers and biogas production plants at the company's industrial complexes, as well as the development of the proprietary photoelectrocatalysis technology. This technology is a joint development of Repsol and Enagas, and a demonstration plant will be installed at the Puertollano industrial complex in 2025 to obtain hydrogen directly from water using solar energy.

Repsol will allocate an additional €1 billion to low-carbon projects in the 2021-2025 period, up to a total of €6.5 billion, compared to the €5.5 billion established in the company’s Strategic Plan. Now, investments earmarked for low-emission initiatives will stand at 35% in the 2021-2025 period, and the capital employed for these purposes will reach 45% in 2030. The new values represent an increase of five percentage points with respect to those established in the Strategic Plan presented almost a year ago.

IDTechEx: market value of on-road fuel-cell vehicles to grow to $160B in 2042; 23.9% CAGR over 20 years

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211012-idtechex.html

IDTechEx’s analysis in their new report, “Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles 2022-2042”, forecasts the market value of on-road fuel cell vehicles will grow to $160 billion in 2042 at a CAGR of 23.9% over the 20-year forecast period.

The effort to decarbonize on-road vehicles is undoubtedly being led by BEVs; however serious concern remains around whether BEV solutions can deliver the necessary duty cycle for those use cases that require significant range, brief downtime, and high operational flexibility—long-haul trucking and high-milage city bus operations, for example.

In such applications, a huge 500+ kWh battery will be required to reliably deliver 350+ km of range on a single charge, and full recharging, even with 350kW ultra-fast chargers, will take hours. This becomes an even greater challenge in a depot situation, where megawatts of power are required. Hyundai’s XCIENT fuel cell heavy-duty truck delivers ~400km of range, with a 73kWh Li-ion battery and hydrogen fuel cell system, requiring less than 20 minutes to refuel.

The growing momentum pushing a rapid transition to zero-emission vehicles, combined with a genuine need for range comparable to diesel powertrains and quick refueling, means massive automotive players like Toyota, Hyundai, GM, and Daimler are continuing to pump millions into improving fuel cell system technology and bringing down costs.

Major automotive markets including Japan, Korea, China, Germany, and California are planning for the significant deployment of fuel cell vehicles (FCEV).

Germany has already built around 100 hydrogen refueling stations (HRS), offering a capacity to support 40,000 passenger cars, though their current fleet is less than 1,000. Germany is providing a testbed for FCEV in Europe and will challenge the assertion that the lack of hydrogen infrastructure is to blame for the lack of FCEV uptake. Relatively small fleets of heavy-duty FCEV could provide sufficient hydrogen demand to viably operate an HRS.

Versus cars, the value proposition for fuel cell trucks and buses is stronger, and IDTechEx does not expect fuel cell cars to be a commercial success comparative to battery-electric ones. However, the scale of the car market and substantial support for the development of a wider hydrogen economy by governments and companies in key regions mean IDTechEx forecast that, in 2042, 60.3% of on-road FCEV market revenue will be from the passenger car market.

Fuel cell makers will benefit from the volume of the car market to drive down costs for other sectors where the technology is more critical.

Indeed, FCEV deployment faces considerable challenges, including decreasing the cost of fuel cell system components to reduce the upfront vehicle cost, while rolling out sufficient hydrogen refueling infrastructure to make driving a FCEV viable. Also essential to the legitimacy of FCEV as a low-carbon emission solution will be the availability of cheap green hydrogen, produced by the electrolysis of water using renewable electricity, which analysis in the IDTechEx report highlights, will be vital to FCEVs delivering the environmental credentials on which they are being sold.

Cheap grey hydrogen generated from fossil fuels makes little sense as a low emission transport fuel because the well-to-wheel emission footprint of a FCEV using grey H2 offers only a marginal CO2 saving versus modern diesel vehicles. . . .

Snam launches HyAccelerator global-scale accelerator for hydrogen startups

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211012-snam.html

Snam, the main Italian operator for the transport and dispatching of natural gas in Italy, launched HyAccelerator, a corporate global-scale startup acceleration program focused on hydrogen. The program kicked off with the first call for startups, dedicated to players active along the entire hydrogen value chain, from transportation to storage and end uses.

The startups selected after the calls will have access to an acceleration process lasting between four and six months, with research and development support, as well as mentoring, networking and technology testing. These activities will also be able to leverage on the network of the Hydrogen Innovation Center opened by Snam in partnership with universities and research centres.

At the end of the program, the startups will conduct feasibility studies with Snam for future hydrogen pilot projects. Snam aims at exploring and supporting technologies with the greatest potential to accelerate the development of hydrogen and contribute to efforts to decarbonize the economic system, in line with national and international climate targets. . . .

Late in September, Snam and IRENA (International Renewable Energy Agency) announced a partnership agreement aimed at developing hydrogen based on renewables (green hydrogen) to support the energy transition worldwide.

The two parties will cooperate to study and possibly implement alongside other partners, pilot projects on renewables generation, transport and distribution of green hydrogen with a view to the development of replicable business cases. . . .

I think we should rename this thread the "Hydrogen and FCEVs Press Release Highlights", since there is no actual discussion here.

Hey, you're a mod, I'm not. Why not just remove "discussion" from the title? It may be that discussion will return at some point in the future. Or not.

Both GCC:
Zemo hydrogen well-to-wheel study highlights need for inclusion of life cycle energy & GHGs in net-zero plans

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211013-zemo.html

A new study by the UK-based Zemo Partnership recommends that UK Government policy should increase its focus on the well-to-wheel (WTW) greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and overall energy efficiency performance of new fuels for transport. While hydrogen, electric and renewable fuels (produced from waste-based feedstocks) can all radically cut emissions compared with their diesel-powered counterparts, there are major variations in their effectiveness and efficiency in terms of cutting emissions depending on choices made over the full well- to-wheel life cycle.

The study warns that a focus solely on mitigating tailpipe emissions can risk neglecting the full impacts and the overall energy consumption of the system. With limited biogenic resources and renewable electricity supplies, it is critical to adopt energy efficient solutions to maximise full system benefits wherever possible.

The new study looks specifically at hydrogen, extending analysis provided in the recently published (also by Zemo) Low Carbon Hydrogen Well-to-Tank Pathways Study.

The work comes shortly after the publication of the Government’s UK hydrogen strategy, a potentially important component of the overall decarbonization plan for transport. Key building blocks of the hydrogen strategy are currently under consultation and the Zemo Partnership work is intended to help inform these.

The Zemo analysis combines GHG and energy consumption data for four vehicle applications: D-segment passenger car, small van, single decker bus and a fully laden 18t GVW heavy goods vehicle. It presents well-to-wheel results for the most promising hydrogen vehicle powertrain architectures using battery-electric, diesel and renewable fuels for comparison.

The study looks at hydrogen produced for transport use through electrolysis; biomass gasification with carbon capture and storage (CCS); and methane reformation with CCS (all potentially very low carbon and GHG solutions)—as well as from fossil fuels without CCS mitigation. The work explores the sensitivity of GHG emissions and energy consumption to a range of inputs and options, with more than 250 well-to-wheel scenarios being modeled in the 2020-2035 timeframe.

Among the main findings:

Each of the hydrogen vehicle architectures analyzed can deliver low carbon, and in some cases negative, WTW GHG emissions solutions over the next decade. This outcome is identical across light and heavy-duty vehicle segments and is predicated on the use of low-carbon hydrogen.

When comparing the WTW GHG emissions performance of BEV, ICEV using renewable fuels (produced from waste-based feedstocks), and hydrogen HGVs using low-carbon hydrogen, all technology options perform better than incumbent fossil-fueled diesel vehicles.

The WTW energy efficiency of hydrogen vehicles is lower than diesel ICEV, BEV and ICEV using renewable fuels. The difference is most pronounced for heavy-duty vehicles. In the case of HGVs, FCEV trucks are in the order of four to six times less energy efficient than BEV on a WTW basis. Irrespective of the low-carbon hydrogen supply pathway, the hydrogen production process is energy-intensive thereby influencing WTW energy efficiency. This finding highlights the importance of accounting for energy consumption along with WTW GHG emissions and ensuring an energy efficient transition to net zero GHG emissions.

There are a variety of powertrains and fuels that can potentially achieve net zero WTW GHG emissions, but with limited biogenic resources and renewable electricity supplies, it is critical to adopt energy efficient solutions to maximise the benefits wherever possible. For example, hydrogen vehicles would need to demonstrate other benefits beyond WTW (e.g. superior payload, vehicle range, lower operational costs) to compensate for the increased energy consumption compared to alternative powertrain solutions such as BEV.

Which are exactly the areas they provide advantages over BEVs for long-haul and/or heavy payloads. Continuing:

WTW GHG emissions are dominated by the hydrogen supply chain production method, with distribution and dispensing having less impact. Green hydrogen supply chains deliver the lowest WTW GHG emissions for hydrogen vehicles. Vehicles using hydrogen produced from steam methane reformation and electrolysis using current grid electricity do not perform better than diesel ICEV; grey hydrogen is to be avoided.

WTW GHG emissions are highly sensitive to the electricity grid carbon intensity; this is relevant for both hydrogen and battery electric vehicles. As a result, it is critical that consistent WTT GHG emissions factors for electricity are adopted by Government and industry when comparing different zero, and low carbon, vehicle technologies. This is especially important for hydrogen produced by electrolysis and in comparison to BEV.

Care needs to be exercised with carbon accounting for low carbon hydrogen supply chains that achieve negative GHG emissions, notably BECCS (BioEnergy with Carbon Capture and Storage). These pathways could inadvertently result in the promotion of energy inefficient technology. . . .

The study recommends that further feasibility work including energy analysis, should be done to assess the suitability of different vehicles for different use cases to inform the potential role of hydrogen in the HGV sector. Relevant factors would include vehicle payload and capacity, range, refueling/charging time and infrastructure. The work could potentially be integrated into the Government’s ongoing Zero Emission Freight Trials (ZERFT) which Zemo is also supporting.

The choice of carbon intensity factors for grid electricity, both now and in the future, is a critical sensitivity within the analysis and an area needing much more consistent data.

Air Liquide and Faurecia partner to develop on-board liquid hydrogen storage systems

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211013-airliquide.html

Air Liquide and Faurecia signed a joint development agreement to design and produce on-board liquid hydrogen storage systems for the automotive industry.

Liquid hydrogen storage for fuel cell vehicles is well-suited for long-haul applications; with this technology, the amount of hydrogen stored is double that of gaseous hydrogen. As a consequence, heavy duty trucks operating on liquid hydrogen have twice the autonomy of those operating on gaseous hydrogen, and benefit from a short refueling time and optimized payload. . . .

By 2030, fuel cell vehicle production could represent 2.5 million vehicles, of which 20% could be commercial trucks, the partners said. Due to intensive usage, by 2030, heavy-duty vehicles could represent close to 60% of the hydrogen consumption for mobility markets.

jlv said:
I think we should rename this thread the "Hydrogen and FCEVs Press Release Highlights", since there is no actual discussion here.

Why not go further and rename it to "GRA's Hydrogen Propaganda"? He espouses "copper shots, not silver bullets", yet drives an old subaru, despite having a driveway that can accommodate a home EVSE. And he's adamant that a BEV isn't the right solution, despite the fact that CCS chargers are popping all over the place. We've discussed the drawbacks (and thus dead-end) of FCEV's ad-infinitum, and yet he persists. He says that climate change is an issue, but contributes towards a fantasy of the fossil fuel industry (because steam-reformed-natural-gas is where most of those FCEV's get their hydrogen from)

This thread literally serves no other purpose than for him to spread his hydrogen hopium.

I don't feel like either BEVs or FCEVs have yet matured enough to replace ICEs. So I'm interested in hearing about developments for both.

But I agree that a daily string of press release clippings with no commentary is pretty useless.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
This thread literally serves no other purpose than for him to spread his hydrogen hopium.
I'm not sure I agree. It gives him an outlet to contribute to hydrogen green-washing

GRA said:
Air Liquide and Faurecia partner to develop on-board liquid hydrogen storage systems

Air Liquide and Faurecia signed a joint development agreement to design and produce on-board liquid hydrogen storage systems for the automotive industry.

Liquid hydrogen storage for fuel cell vehicles is well-suited for long-haul applications; with this technology, the amount of hydrogen stored is double that of gaseous hydrogen. As a consequence, heavy duty trucks operating on liquid hydrogen have twice the autonomy of those operating on gaseous hydrogen, and benefit from a short refueling time and optimized payload. . . .

By 2030, fuel cell vehicle production could represent 2.5 million vehicles, of which 20% could be commercial trucks, the partners said. Due to intensive usage, by 2030, heavy-duty vehicles could represent close to 60% of the hydrogen consumption for mobility markets.
Even if an on-board storage system can be developed, that doesn't get around the enormous energy cost of liquefying hydrogen. To the extent that HFCEVs have a future, it won't be with liquid hydrogen.

oxothuk said:
GRA said:

Even if an on-board storage system can be developed, that doesn't get around the enormous energy cost of liquefying hydrogen. To the extent that HFCEVs have a future, it won't be with liquid hydrogen.

I agree that consumer vehicles almost certainly won't use LH2 (for safe handling issues), but commercial vehicles are another matter. As for the 'enormous energy cost' of liquefying H2, depends what the savings are. For instance, First Element switched from gaseous to liquid H2 delivery for their newer stations because they wanted to scale up the capacity by 3-6 times and cut down the number of fuel deliveries of their newer stations. Using liquid instead of gaseous H2 meant one driver could deliver 3-4 times as much H2 in a single trip. Obviously, it penciled out for them.

Commercial vehicles will make similar calcs, depending on volume, weight and operational restrictions. Alternatively they'll use ammonia or LOHCs, which avoid much or all of the energy cost of liquifying H2. I post examples of all of the above plus BEVs in the "AFV Truck/Commercial Vehicle" topic rather than this one.

I'm interested in all AFVs, and will continue to psot in all those areas, until such time as one or more green transport techs have proven commercially viable and substantially replaced fossil-fueled transport, as well as a variety of industrial applications. So here's some for today, all GCC (Plug Power seems to have had a press release dump):

DOE selects Shell-led consortium to demonstrate feasibility of large-scale liquid hydrogen storage in $12M project

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211014-shell.html

A consortium of public, private and academic experts led by Shell International Exploration and Production, Inc. (Shell), a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell plc, is working to enable large-scale liquid hydrogen (LH2) storage for international trade applications.

Shell and the consortium partners—including McDermott’s CB&I Storage Solutions, NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, GenH2 and the University of Houston—have been selected by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies Office to demonstrate that a large-scale LH2 tank, with a capacity ranging from 20,000 to 100,000 cubic meters, is both feasible and cost competitive at import and export terminals.

Shell will lead the project and provide guidance on hydrogen supply chain and safety. CB&I Storage Solutions will provide engineering, design and LH2 construction storage expertise. GenH2 will design and manufacture one of the world’s most advanced thermal testing devices, known as Cryostat-900. NASA will work closely with GenH2 on novel testing development. The University of Houston will focus their efforts on the creation of detailed thermal models of the proposed insulation systems.

The DOE has awarded $6 million to finance the project, and Shell and CB&I Storage Solutions will both provide an additional $3 million each, for a total project fund of $12 million. . . .

Phillips 66, Plug Power to collaborate to scale green hydrogen in industrial & mobility sectors; infrastructure and fueling capabilities

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211014-plugpower.html

Phillips 66, which has 13 wholly owned and joint venture refineries in the US and Europe, owns extensive hydrogen-related infrastructure and uses hydrogen in the manufacturing of transportation fuels. With more than 20 years of history, and customers such as Amazon, Walmart and Home Depot, Plug Power is a leader in hydrogen fuel cells and electrolyzers. The company has begun construction on green hydrogen production facilities in California, New York, Tennessee and Georgia that will ultimately supply 500 tons per day of liquid green hydrogen by 2025.

As part of this agreement, the companies will explore ways to deploy Plug Power’s technology within Phillips 66’s operations, leveraging Plug Power’s experience as a full value chain provider within the hydrogen economy. . . .

The companies’ memorandum of understanding provides a framework for working together on three key objectives:

Integrating and scaling low-carbon hydrogen in the industrial sector;

Advancing hydrogen fueling opportunities for the mobility sector; and

Developing hydrogen-related infrastructure to support the build-out of the hydrogen value chain. . . .

Plug Power partners with Airbus on study to decarbonize air travel & airport operations with green hydrogen

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211014-airbusplugpower.html

As part of its goal of bringing zero-emission aircraft to market by 2035, Airbus has identified green hydrogen as one of the most promising options to decarbonize air travel and will be working closely with Plug Power on a joint study and roadmap that could deliver green hydrogen to aircraft and the airport ecosystem in the coming years.

Plug Power will build deployment scenarios for green hydrogen infrastructure at airports, while Airbus will provide insight on hydrogen aircraft characteristics. . . .

Today, the aviation industry represents between 2-3% of global human-induced CO2 emissions. Airports are large cargo hubs that traditionally rely on fossil fuels to power a wide array of ground transport and equipment, and to heat buildings and terminals. Green hydrogen, which is produced through the electrolysis of water with electricity generated from renewable energy sources, has been earmarked by a variety of industries as a potential means to achieve their decarbonization targets, and the aviation industry is no exception.

As part of the partnership, Plug Power and Airbus will select a US airport to serve as the first “Hydrogen Hub” pilot airport in North America, serving as a case study for hydrogen infrastructure scale-up at other airports. . . .

Cummins to introduce 15-liter natural gas engine for North America; basis for hydrogen engine under development

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211014-cummins.html

. . . The 15-liter natural gas engine is an important part of Cummins strategy for its path to zero emissions. The strategy focuses on new powertrains including advanced diesel, natural gas, hydrogen engines, hybrids, battery electric, and fuel cells along with an increased use of low carbon fuels and renewable electricity and related infrastructure.

Louisiana Governor and Air Products announce US$4.5B blue hydrogen clean energy complex in Eastern Louisiana

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211015-blueh2.html

. . . Air Products will build, own and operate the megaproject, which will produce more than 750 million standard cubic feet per day (MMSCFD) of blue hydrogen in Ascension Parish, Louisiana. “Blue” products are produced utilizing hydrocarbons as a feedstock, with the carbon dioxide (CO2) in the production process captured for permanent sequestration. . . .

A portion of the blue hydrogen will be compressed and supplied to customers by Air Products’ extensive US Gulf Coast hydrogen pipeline network. The network is the largest hydrogen pipeline system in the world, stretching more than 700-miles from Galveston Bay in Texas to New Orleans, Louisiana. Today, this vast US Gulf Coast pipeline network can supply customers with more than 1.6 billion cubic feet of hydrogen per day from approximately 25 production facilities, including blue hydrogen from Air Products’ Port Arthur, Texas facility.

The Port Arthur facility has captured approximately one million tons of CO2 annually since 2013, with the CO2 transported via pipeline and utilized for enhanced oil recovery operations.

The balance of the blue hydrogen from the new Ascension Parish facility will be used to make blue ammonia that will be transported around the world and converted back to blue hydrogen for transportation and other markets.

The megaproject will also feature the world’s largest instance of CO2 capture for permanent sequestration and produce only environmentally friendly blue products. The megaproject is expected to be operational in 2026.

Approximately 95% of the CO2 generated at the facility will be captured, compressed and transported by pipeline to multiple inland sequestration sites located along a pipeline corridor extending up to 35 miles to the east of the new production facility. More than five million metric tons per year (MTPY) of CO2 will be permanently sequestered in geologic pore space secured from the State of Louisiana approximately one mile beneath the surface. . . .

This new Louisiana clean energy megaproject announcement follows Air Products’ announcement in June 2021 of a multi-billion-dollar net-zero hydrogen energy complex in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and its previous announcement of the green ammonia production facility joint venture in NEOM, Saudi Arabia powered by renewable energy for the production and export of carbon-free hydrogen to global markets. . . .

Topsoe puts eSMR demonstration plant into operation for production of sustainable methanol from biogas

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211015-topsoe.html

. . . The project is supported by the EUDP Energy Technology Development and Demonstration Program and is developed together with Aarhus University.

The climate benefits from using sustainable methanol is not limited to one single purpose. Sustainable methanol can be used for marine fuel, blend in gasoline, and for the chemical industry, where methanol is mainly used today.

The main feature in the demonstration plant is Topsoe’s eSMR technology, which enables not only the production of sustainable methanol, but also other sustainable products like green hydrogen, green ammonia, eFuels, and more. . . .

The demonstration plant is located at Aarhus University’s research facility in Foulum, Denmark. The plant will have an annual capacity of 10,000 liters of CO2-neutral methanol from biogas and green power and is scheduled to be fully operational by the beginning of 2022. . . .

The technology produces synthesis gas (syngas), an essential building block in production of polymers (plastics) and chemicals. The eSMR technology is CO2-neutral when based on biogas as feedstock and green electricity for heating. It utilizes half the CO2 that makes up about 40% of biogas and typically is costly to separate and vent in production of grid quality biogas.

GCR:
China's GAC announces hydrogen combustion engine

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133800_china-s-gac-announces-hydrogen-combustion-engine

Chinese automaker GAC Motor claims to have successfully tested a hydrogen combustion engine, although it's unclear if the engine will ever reach production.

Instead of using fuel cells to generate electricity, GAC designed an internal-combustion engine to burn hydrogen in place of gasoline or diesel. The resulting engine has a fairly high thermal efficiency of 44%, according to a company press release.

Notable engineering nuggets include a hydrogen-specific combustion chamber design, as well as strengthened pistons, piston rings, and connecting rods.

GAC said it will continue "thermodynamic calibration and mechanical development of the hydrogen engine," and that it would work to set up a hydrogen supply chain based around renewable-energy sources. But the company didn't discuss any production plans. . . .

Hydrogen internal combustion comes with a range of issues, including storing enough hydrogen onboard a car to achieve sufficient range. They also produce some tailpipe emissions and face the same infrastructure problems as fuel cells.

Yet GAC isn't the only company giving hydrogen internal combustion another look. BMW once produced the Hydrogen 7, a version of its 7-Series flagship with a hydrogen-powered V-12, and Toyota developed a hydrogen engine for racing, using it at a 24-hour race in Japan earlier this year.

All GCC:
Plug Power to acquire Applied Cryo Technologies to advance development of green hydrogen infrastructure

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211015-cryo.html

Plug Power has executed a definitive agreement to acquire Applied Cryo Technologies, Inc. (ACT), a leading provider of technology, equipment and services for the transportation, storage and distribution of liquefied hydrogen, oxygen, argon, nitrogen and other cryogenic gases. . . .

The acquisition of ACT adds significant capabilities, expertise, and technologies to Plug Power, which will help the company expand the green hydrogen ecosystem. With more than 20 years of history, and customers such as Amazon, Walmart and Home Depot, Plug Power is the largest buyer of liquid hydrogen globally and has built a “hydrogen highway” across the United States, which includes more than 165 refueling stations that service fleets of hydrogen-powered trucks, forklifts and e-mobility vehicles from industries throughout the nation.

Plug Power’s hydrogen fuel cell technology also provides reliable, resilient on-site backup power for businesses and institutions, whether data centers, utilities, retailers or universities. . . .

In addition to Plug Power’s new green hydrogen production facility in California, Plug Power maintains a network of plants in New York, Tennessee, and Georgia that will help the company realize its goal of producing more than 1,000 tons per day of green hydrogen by 2028.

Plug Power recently announced a new European headquarters in Germany and a joint venture with South Korea’s SK E&S to accelerate the expansion of the hydrogen economy in Asia.The acquisition of ACT will provide Plug Power with a number of efficiencies and capabilities, including:

Liquid hydrogen delivery network and fleet;
Liquid hydrogen storage; and
Hydrogen mobility fueling, which is particularly important for ports.

Rolls-Royce launches mtu hydrogen solutions for power generation

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211016-rollsroyce.html

Rolls-Royce is further developing its mtu gas engine portfolio for power generation and cogeneration to run on hydrogen as a fuel and thus enable a climate-neutral energy supply. Already today, gensets powered by mtu Series 500 and Series 4000 gas engines can be operated with a gas blending of 10% hydrogen. Beginning in 2022, operation with a hydrogen content of 25% will be possible. . . .

In addition, fuel cells powered by 100% green hydrogen can play an important role in future energy supply in combination with renewable energies. At its Friedrichshafen headquarters, Rolls-Royce’s Power Systems division has installed a 250-kilowatt fuel cell demonstrator, which will be used to test and present future CO2-free energy systems to customers. The entire hydrogen ecosystem, including the infrastructure for supply, conversion, test benches and future production, is also being mapped in the company’s own plants, thus building up expertise. . . .

CARB report finds California hydrogen fueling network could likely be self-sustaining within a decade with some additional state support

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211016-carb.html

The California Air Resources Board has released the final version of the light-duty hydrogen fueling station self-sufficiency report, pursuant to the requirements of Assembly Bill 8 (2013).A self-sufficient network demonstrates the ability to continue operations and growth without further State financial support.

The self-sufficiency study evaluates the economics of potential future scenarios for growth in California’s network of hydrogen fueling stations, assesses the amount of State support that could maintain network growth and operation until the network demonstrates self-sufficiency, and estimates the timing to achieve self-sufficiency.

The scenario analysis methodology estimates the incoming and outgoing cash flows related to building (through 2035) and operating (through 2050) a network of hydrogen fueling stations in California. Each scenario is defined by a target number of FCEVs to support (ranging from 300,000 to 1.8 million vehicles at 100% station utilization by 2035); a network buildout strategy (in terms of numbers of stations per year, their locations, and their fueling capacities); and cost and revenue assumptions (including capital and operating costs and changes in price paid at the pump over time).

Each scenario adopts a unique set of assumptions for these variables, with more than 840 individual scenarios investigated in the report. The collection of scenarios represents high and low bounds of what CARB staff propose to be reasonable estimates for each variable that affects the economics of station development and operation.

The report finds that hydrogen fueling network self-sufficiency can likely be achieved within the decade with additional State support beyond AB 8. The timing to achieve self-sufficiency and the amount of State support needed varies significantly depending on a range of factors. . . .

Link where you can download report: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/documents/self-sufficiency-report

Universal Hydrogen secures additional $62M in financing to accelerate first test flight of hydrogen-powered regional aircraft to 2022

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211015-uh.html

. . . This funding will enable Universal Hydrogen to conduct the first test flight of its hydrogen fuel cell powertrain on a 40+ passenger regional airliner in 2022 at Moses Lake, Washington.

The green hydrogen for the flight will be supplied using Universal Hydrogen’s modular fuel capsules that enable the delivery of hydrogen from the point of production directly to the aircraft using the existing freight network and airport cargo handling equipment without the need for any new infrastructure.

The proprietary modular capsule technology is significantly lighter than the current state of the art in hydrogen storage and is designed from first principles for flight and ground transport safety certification.

The company anticipates entry into commercial service in 2025 with a certified retrofit conversion kit for existing ATR 72 and De Havilland Canada Dash-8 regional airliners and a green hydrogen fuel services offering. Together, these will provide regional operators with unit economics that are equivalent or better than those of conventional jet fuel-powered variants of the aircraft.

Universal Hydrogen has secured a substantial commercial order pipeline, including previously-announced LOIs from Icelandair, Air Nostrum, Ravn Alaska, and ASL Aviation Holdings. . . .

Back