Promoting Electric Vehicles Act of 2010

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverLeaf

Does anyone have a status and/or update on the Bi-Partisan "Promoting Electric Vehicles Act of 2010". The last I have observed is that the bill was approved by the Senate Energy Committee. Has the full Senate voted yet? Is there progress in the House. The bill promotes the idea of 500,000 EV's in service in the short term, and 1/2 of all automobiles in 20 years.

Here's a link to the bill: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.3495:

In this congress? Ha.

They'd fillibuster Obama if he nominated a dog catcher.

Heck... Republicans even fillibuster TAX CUTS... because it was brought up by the Dems.

The Republicans have a simple flow chart for how to vote... you'd think it's motivated by the deficit or tax cuts or something. But nope... it's not. (anyone following the most recent "give $100k tax cut to every millionaire and increase our deficit or we'll screw the middle class" diatribe from Boehner can see the hypocrisy)

It's simply...

Did the Dems propose this or desire this? YES then No. NO then YES.

I'd be surprised if this passes or even comes up for a vote.

Actually, this bill has two Republican sponsors. I don't know how many Republican supporters. I think it will pass both houses, just don't know how long it will take. I am just trying to get a current status of the bill.

I know it does... the interview with Lamar Alexander on the Leaf was actually pretty good.

But I'm still not holding my breath.... there have been many bills with Republican sponsors that the Republican sponsors have voted against them in the past. (I'm looking at you John McCain)

evnow said:
We talked about this before. Some provisions have been folded into the energy bill.

Ah... well then... there goes that chance... (see above)

But... the Lamar Alexander interview was hopeful... it made it seem like it might be brought soon to the senate floor?

cdub said:
Did the Dems propose this or desire this? YES then No. NO then YES.

More like this.

Does passing this help Dems electorally ? If yes, then vote No.

Does voting No help Dems electorally ? If yes, then vote Yes.

I don't think this is much of a secret either - they have talked openly about this.

To an extent, both parties do this. Except, since the small republican caucus is now fairly ideologically uniform, they have kept the unity rather well. Managing Dems has always been like herding cats .... so they couldn't stop any legislation earlier.

evnow said:
To an extent, both parties do this. Except, since the small republican caucus is now fairly ideologically uniform, they have kept the unity rather well. Managing Dems has always been like herding cats .... so they couldn't stop any legislation earlier.

Well technically yes... but in the past it was done on a minimal amount of times. Votes for the common good of the country usually in the past have had a pretty strong bipartisan support. Currently this flow chart is how the Republicans view EVERY vote... not just a few.

But when Republicans are voting AGAINST TAX CUTS FOR SMALL BUSINESS (whoda thunk?) because it'll keep the economy in the stinker and help their chances in November then it has gone way too far and is hurting everyday Americans.

cdub said:
evnow said:
But when Republicans are voting AGAINST TAX CUTS FOR SMALL BUSINESS (whoda thunk?) because it'll keep the economy in the stinker and help their chances in November then it has gone way too far and is hurting everyday Americans.

They vote against it because they want a clean bill not one full of pork for unions etc.

One man's pork is another man's job. Can you imagine if every nitpicky thing needed a separate debate, vote and president signature?
The government would be even more stifled to act.

smkettner said:
One man's pork is another man's job. Can you imagine if every nitpicky thing needed a separate debate, vote and president signature?
The government would be even more stifled to act.

Not really. There is no need for earmarks - those monies should be distributed based on some preset criteria.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/10/14/congress-prodded-to-raise-200000-cap-on-ev-credits-make-instant-and-bump-amount-to-10000/

This will probably not happen if those <self-censored/> take control of congress.

Fabio said:
http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/10/14/congress-prodded-to-raise-200000-cap-on-ev-credits-make-instant-and-bump-amount-to-10000/

This will probably not happen if those <self-censored/> take control of congress.

Which <self-censored/> group are you talking about? The politicians?? :evil:

Jimmydreams said:
Fabio said:

Which <self-censored/> group are you talking about? The politicians?? :evil:

Republicans.. obviously. Whom are only concerned with their rich big oill friend's wallets off the backs of the rest of us.

I like the idea of making the credit instant (mentioned in the article).

I'd rather have that then have the credit increase to 10k as that won't change the deficit at all...you'd just get the money at time of sale instead of having to wait.

cdub said:

I'd rather have that then have the credit increase to 10k as that won't change the deficit at all...you'd just get the money at time of sale instead of having to wait.

That might be because you are in a state offering 5K AND the fed credit. At
10K I could afford to buy rather than lease......

hodad66 said:
cdub said:

That might be because you are in a state offering 5K AND the fed credit. At
10K I could afford to buy rather than lease......

Well - only because if they make it instant... and not increase the amount... it might actually have a chance of passing.

Back