abasile
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Re: "Negawatts" - Preparing for Your New Electric Car

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:31 pm

indyflick wrote:Anyone tied solar tubes for lighting yet?
Yes! Natural light is always preferable to artificial light, in my opinion. Two years ago, we installed three 10 inch diameter solar tubes (about $180 each at Home Depot) in our main living area, and one each in two large closets. We also installed a 14 inch diameter tube in my in-laws' home. The light transmission is great. Even at night, they pick up moonlight! I would recommend using the largest diameter you can accommodate between your roof joists.

There are just three downsides I would point out:
- Not much light gets through when they are covered by 2 feet of snow, which we do get from time to time here in the Southern California mountains.
- Like any "window", there is some heat transfer, but I've found it to be pretty minor.
- Solar tubes might interfere somewhat with the placement of photovoltaic panels in the future.

DaveEV

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:51 pm

indyflick wrote:Anyone tied solar tubes for lighting yet?
I've got 2 14" ones in my windowless bathroom - an old one in the tub/toilet area and a new SolaTube one on the other half in the sink area.

Love them both - no need for additional lighting during the day 99% of the time. As abasile mentions they let in a bit of moonlight so you don't need to turn on the lights to stumble to the toilet at night.

The new one is Energy Star rated so noticeably lets in less heat on hot days than the old one. Can't really tell that the new one lets any significant amount of heat while the old one gets warm to the touch.

Azrich
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 000604

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Skylights

We have six 22 x 44 in skylights on a flat roof. We now have the plastic bubble type which let in a lot of the summer heat. We want to replace them with double-pane low-e glass skylights. We know that Velux makes such a skylight, but you have to build a contraption out of wood so the skylight is slanted so the rain will run off.

Does anyone know of any other manufacturers of glass skylights that might work better on our flat roof?
Nissan LEAF - Blue Ocean SL-E
Reserved - April 20, 3:20 pm - Ordered - September 8, 2010 - Delivery: - March 22, 2011 - VIN: 604
EV Project Blink - installed March 17
5.8 kW PV system with 27 SunPower 215 W panels

JPC2822

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:45 pm

How do we "prepare" for our LEAF if we may not have an EV when our LEAF comes in December? I only see one the EV Charge America unit available now- but I have not had any responses from them. When and which other EV home charger units be available this year?
John Paul Cabrera
LEAF Order date 09/01, Fontana Nissan
Next ride: Silver SL LEAF VIN 313 with License plate Qbn LEAF
Estimated delivery: Was Week of February 11th, now Week of Feb. 23rd
Delivered 02/14/11!
AV cash-and-carry installed 12/16/10

indyflick

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:55 pm

JPC2822 wrote:How do we "prepare" for our LEAF if we may not have an EV when our LEAF comes in December? I only see one the EV Charge America unit available now- but I have not had any responses from them. When and which other EV home charger units be available this year?
In this forum under Technical Nissan Leaf Discussion there's a section called Batteries & Charging. There you'll find a lot of discussion on EVSEs. Your question should probably be asked in one of those topics.

indyflick

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:36 am

Here's an interesting solar energy product. It's basically a solar space heater. It would be interesting if home builders integrated (technically and architecturally) such technology into new home construction. I found some articles where folks have built their own versions of these systems for a fraction of the cost. But of course, they don't look as professional or finished as the manufactured versions.

lne937s

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 am

For those of you interested in LED lighting, the 2010 Lighting for Tomorrow contest winners were announced yesterday:

http://www.lightingfortomorrow.org/2010/10winners.shtml

The contest is for new products, so you may also want to look through some recent past winners for ideas.

abasile

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:39 pm

indyflick wrote:Here's an interesting solar energy product. It's basically a solar space heater. It would be interesting if home builders integrated (technically and architecturally) such technology into new home construction. I found some articles where folks have built their own versions of these systems for a fraction of the cost. But of course, they don't look as professional or finished as the manufactured versions.
It's interesting that you mentioned this, as I recently looked into solar space heating as well. While it won't really save electricity unless you have electric heat, it does seem like a great way to utilize solar energy. I recently spoke with the proprietor of a small company in Massachusetts that manufactures solar space heaters. They seem to have a good product, and it happens to be a little less expensive. http://sunmatesolarpanels.com/content/view/2/31/

And here's another, similar product that I came across: http://www.organicmechanic.com/product/solar-air-heater#

abasile

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:40 pm

lne937s wrote:For those of you interested in LED lighting, the 2010 Lighting for Tomorrow contest winners were announced yesterday...
Thanks. Interesting developments!

From the standpoint of saving electricity (ignoring other factors such as mercury in CFLs), I think it currently, generally only makes sense to upgrade from CFLs to LEDs for downlighting or directional lighting applications. (lne937s did mention that those are the ideal LED lighting applications.) An LED light in a track head, for instance, will typically not "waste" lumens (and consequently watts) lighting the inside of the track head. As a result, that LED light can potentially output fewer total lumens than a CFL bulb, and yet provide an equivalent amount of useful illumination.

Getting optimal use of LEDs might be a factor to consider when planning new construction or remodeling. Knowing what I know today, I would have installed fewer wall sconces and more track and can lights when we remodeled our home two years ago.

indyflick

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 am

lne937s wrote:For those of you interested in LED lighting, the 2010 Lighting for Tomorrow contest winners were announced yesterday:

http://www.lightingfortomorrow.org/2010/10winners.shtml

The contest is for new products, so you may also want to look through some recent past winners for ideas.
I just spent some time on the Lighting For Tomorrow site. They highlight some interesting products. I really like the Sunter Architect LED Desk Lamp and the RT1 7 Button Timer is a great idea. However, the Philips LED doesn't seem that impressive, 12.6 watts at 60 watts equivalent. A CFL can do that for far less money. Also, I'm not sure I would ever want to dim a 60 watts equivalent bulb. They must be targeting this product to commercial applications who need very long lasting (25,000 hours) and low wattage bulbs.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”