Survey : 6% considering EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/10/consumer-reports-shares-preliminary-green-car-survey-findings-at-gridweek-conference.html

Overall, 39 percent are considering a hybrid or electric power type for their next new car, and among them, 60 percent (just 23 percent of all motorists) have a conventional hybrid under consideration. Only 14 percent of those considering a hybrid or electric (6 percent of all motorists) will likely consider a battery electric vehicle.
Many survey respondents' daily driving needs are well within the manufacturers' claimed range of upcoming electric vehicles, as 63 percent report traveling less than 40 miles a day.

evnow said:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/10/consumer-reports-shares-preliminary-green-car-survey-findings-at-gridweek-conference.html

Overall, 39 percent are considering a hybrid or electric power type for their next new car, and among them, 60 percent (just 23 percent of all motorists) have a conventional hybrid under consideration. Only 14 percent of those considering a hybrid or electric (6 percent of all motorists) will likely consider a battery electric vehicle.
Many survey respondents' daily driving needs are well within the manufacturers' claimed range of upcoming electric vehicles, as 63 percent report traveling less than 40 miles a day.

Very interesting. I am surprised it is as high as 6%. When people see them in their neighborhood, the percentage will increase.

That's a strange kind of mathematics:
39% of all motorists are considering a hybrid or electric power type for their next new car.
23% of all motorists have a conventional hybrid under consideration.
6% of all motorists will likely consider a battery electric vehicle.

I wonder what the other 10% are considering. No ... wait ... I get it. They must be considering an unconventional hybrid.

FLASH BULLETIN: Almost twice as many people are considering buying a Volt as buying a LEAF.

/Hey, stop with the rotten fruit. I'm just joking, folks.

Yes - not the best reporting. But they say it is all preliminary and hopefully will publish results professionally.

6% is indeed a lot. Per Federal Gov stats as of 2006 (couldn't find anything more recent) there are 202 million licensed drivers in the USA ( and about 250 million registered personal vehicles). So 6% of drivers is about 12 million. That's a lot of potential customers for the auto industry over the next few years.

I would think this survey shows that the press/auto experts statements that I read frequently about Nissan taking a "huge risk" in bring the Leaf to market seem pretty silly. Maybe the auto makers who are lagging behind in EV development are the ones taking a huge risk.

Surveys and market research at this time is silly. If you surveyed if people wanted Facebook before they experienced it... people would probably say no too.

There's a good article on this here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-19/innovation-lessons-from-electric-cars.html
A popular approach, of course, is to conduct market research. Executives surely love the veneer of sophistication and safety that comes from large sample surveys, and numbers. Unfortunately, while market research can be helpful, customers are notoriously bad at accurately reporting what they will do with something they haven't used before. Go back 10 years. What do you think you would have said if someone asked you what you would do with Facebook, Twitter, or even text messages on your mobile phone? Odds are you would struggle to answer the question. Companies that are truly innovating need to use market research with a degree of caution.

The truth is, you'll know what customers will do with an innovation only once they've done it. And done it in real, natural environments, not artificial environments like a supervised usage test. This reality places stress on companies that need to place big bets without complete knowledge of the outcome. And it places a big premium on getting as close to market conditions as possible as quickly as possible to figure out what really happens when people start using your product.

I don't know what the percentage is in Norway (where EVs have been promoted for a while), but I'm sure it's way higher than 6%. "Everybody" asks me about my EV, especially since it looks like a real car, and not one of these EVs which looks like they were designed by Fisher Price! ;)

Market research and polls can be useful but it still comes down to the guys and gals in the sales department getting the new 'toys' into the hands of users.

Try to imagine yourself as the salesperson carrying around the first fax machine. Yes sir - you can buy the very first one! Ahhh, who will I fax something to?

I fully expect that the first time someone sees EVs driving into their neighborhood, quietly, and the "EV Parking" spaces only at work charging up for free, they will take notice.

When the same cars are doing the same thing a year later, it will be hard to stoke any hysteria and anxiety. :)

If the Leaf becomes the most stalled-on-the-side-of-the-highway car, things will be more difficult.

I would attribute these optimistic numbers to Nissan's agressive promotional campaign. I don't see much TV, mainly when I'm in the exercise room at the YMCA and what I see in Unos across the street from my office during lunch. They must be doing a heavy ad campaign for the LEAF; I see numerous ads even with this very limited viewing schedule. And they've done a good job of placing the LEAF where people will see it. At least a lot of people know a little of the LEAF story; that's a good start at moving the LEAF, and the (Nissan) EVs that will follow out of the obsucrity which has traditionally surrounded EVs and into the mainstream.

Back