The Zeitgeist Movement & The Venus Project

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch672

http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/joomla/index.php?Itemid=50

http://www.thevenusproject.com/

many will find these concepts difficult, if not impossible to fathom, let alone accept.

This is all about a "resource based economy" rather than a "monetary based economy", the theory is, it's one world, and has a limited amount of natural resources. When the worlds economies fail, this is a possible model to replace them.

This isn't as "far out" as it seems, it's just that the earths governments will fight tooth and nail, using every last resource availble to them (including war, and the use of their armies against their own people), to avoid losing control & power.

Do some reading, this is a unique concept. There are no democracys, we are all separated by economic levels...

I would suggest watching some of the videos/interviews, as the 86 page PDF position paper is not for everyone :)

more info about who started the movement, and a brief explanation of the concepts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco

and

http://www.youtube.com/user/jacquefresco

This isn't as "far out" as it seems, it's just that the earths governments will fight tooth and nail, using every last resource availble to them (including war, and the use of their armies against their own people), to avoid losing control & power.

Actually, we don't see it quite that way. If people are in a ship, and it is sinking, do people fight among themselves to gain power on that ship, or if presented a way that everyone can survive, do they cooperate to survive? Do you think the Captain will try to destroy the people who have a plan that might lead to survival, just to retain control of the sinking ship?

If there are 5000 people on that ship, and 4900 all want to do the obviously practical plan that will obviously lead to survival of everyone, do you think the Captain and his crew will try to suppress everyone so they will 'go down with the ship'?

And If 4900 people on that ship of 5000 want to do the plan, do you think the Captain CAN suppress those people?

The Zeitgeist Movement has as a basic principle that we will do no harm. We will not use intimidation, coercion, lies, or knowingly utter any kind of falsehood. (It doesn't mean we cannot be wrong, of course.) We do not support any concepts or groups which are identified as 'NWO' or other control freaks. We do not use fear-mongering. We merely use information discovered by science in the last 100 years to suggest a major change in the way people see the Universe can lead us to creating a world worth leaving to our descendents. The first Zeitgeist Movie, btw, was not a production of the Zeitgeist Movement. The Zeitgeist Movement did not exist then, nor are the first two parts of the movie considered relevant.

We are not monolithic, although we do struggle to remain a coherent group in the chaos of ideas now pulling the Internet community in all directions. We know the actual 'Movement' is not just the Zeitgeist Movement... it is all the people in the world who realize that there can be new ways of thinking and applications of sustainable technology that will make for a better world.

We have no 'ideology' and we refuse to support any 'isms' or any political, religious, or economic divisions in the world, basically seeing them as irrelevant to human survival on this planet. We think the money systems of the world are totally anti-survival to an extreme degree, and the source of most of the world's problems, individually, culturally, and globally. We seek to use the Scientific Method in decision making and in providing for all humans globally, harmoniously with the ecosystem.

We know the future is not yet, that there is no way to predict what will be done in the future, so we try to be 'emergent' and adapt to new discoveries and information that changes details of our own concepts. We are, we think, about 500,000 people in almost every country in the world all networked through the Internet.

We have existed as a group for about two years. Any previous use of the name 'zeitgeist' is not us. We continue to grow at the fastest rate of any movement in history, as far as this writer knows, anyway.

The reason we don't think the governments and powerful groups will oppose us is because we make sense beyond the habitual thinking of our culture, which not only has no solutions, but has a dynamic of suppressing all solutions through cynical, and false, social 'axioms'.

I would be happy to answer any questions, but I will not argue with anyone, nor will I produce 'proof' of our claims. It's up to the detractor to prove his/her claims.

As for 'human nature', we know that human nature is every way people can be, and therefore, if the basic 'common sense' of a culture changes, the common definition, and result, of 'human nature' changes in people's minds also.

We seek to change the 'common sense' of the existing suicidal global culture.

:)

Roan Carratu
[email protected]

Ask me any questions you wish or go to the Zeitgeist Main Site at http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

Look at the decisions that lead to (and during) the Titanic disaster.

Lots of "political", money-oriented, heartless, and plain stupid decisions.

Think of the Earth being like the Titanic ... frightening, those who are "in power"?

garygid said:
Look at the decisions that lead to (and during) the Titanic disaster.

Lots of "political", money-oriented, heartless, and plain stupid decisions.

Think of the Earth being like the Titanic ... frightening, those who are "in power"?

And that is the situation on this planet now. But there is little unity in the majority of passengers, and there is no coherent workable reasonable plan to save the people on this planet, and unlike the boat example, or the Titanic, the passengers cannot get off this planet in lifeboats, so the solution has to fix the ship, not just abandon it. We want to do better than the Titanic, not do the same, and nobody has a better idea than we do, we think.

Don't take the example too far. Change is going to happen regardless of anyone, period. Do we deliberately choose to change in ways we can that we know will save us, or do we just let things go and hope?

We do know the boat is more than just leaking... do we ignore it? Do we accept the status quo and just watch as the 'leaders' of our ship continue to punch holes in the hull, out of an ignorant belief that by punching holes in the hull it will let the water out? Or do we educate everyone, including the 'leaders', in how to fix the ship?

The sad thing is that most people are sheep. That's why there will always be those who are naturally first. Who set trends. Who lead not because they really want to, but because nobody else will do anything. And then there will be the rest, content to say "I'll have what they're having".

The good news is that we have examples of how to make the necessary changes. Too many people - especially in the West - seem to think the only way to 'destroy' a thing is by declaring war on a thing. Please take note of the effectiveness of the 'war on drugs' and the 'war on terror'. Attacking something simply adds more fuel to the fire of the problem and makes it grow. Prohibition didn't get rid of alcohol, and the unintended consequences included organized crime and gasoline winning over Henry Ford's desire to use ethanol fuel.

Things end when people take the energy away from them - when they take their eyes and minds away from them. The Soviet Union fell apart in very few days when the mass consciousness realized that it was no longer worthy of their attention.

We can do the same with those in the way. Work the solution and prove beyond a doubt that it is a solution. Once enough people take their focus away from the teabaggers or neocons or spineless democrats or plastic grocery bags [or any other group, perceived evil, or obstruction to 'truth' or real progress] they'll be come redundant and fall away on their own.

Maybe we need to build a better environment and make sure the sheeple can find it? ;)

[soapbox? what soapbox?]

edits in blue...dropped an e and allowed too much room for some to miss the broad intent that shouldn't be nit-picked quite yet... ;)

How are the sheeple going to accept:

1. The end of countries & governments
2. The end of money, and the concepts that entails
3. The acceptance of a "resource based economy" (see #2 above)

The problem is, many are too indoctrinated to the current way of life to accept such free thinking, and likely this will take at least a generation to accept. Problem is, we don't have that kind of time, any longer

mitch672 said:
How are the sheeple going to accept:

1. The end of countries & governments
2. The end of money, and the concepts that entails
3. The acceptance of a "resource based economy" (see #2 above)

The problem is, many are too indoctrinated to the current way of life to accept such free thinking, and likely this will take at least a generation to accept. Problem is, we don't have that kind of time, any longer

Maybe. I guess we will find out, eh? The only difference between a sheeple and a self-actuated person is that the sheeple have a cynical belief that everyone else but them are 'sheeple' and therefore nothing will work so why try.

"When you are inspired by some great purpose,
some extraordinary project,
all your thoughts break their bonds;
your mind transcends limitations,
your consciousness expands in every direction,
and you find yourself in a new, great and wonderful world.
Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive,
and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far
than you ever dreamed yourself to be."

-Patanjali (c. 1st to 3rd century)

Call it the 'Philosopher's Stone' or the 'sheeple to people' formula.

AndyH said:
The good news is that we have examples of how to make the necessary changes. Too many people - especially in the West - seem to think the only way to 'destroy' a thing is by declaring war on a thing. Please take note of the effectiveness of the 'war on drugs' and the 'war on terror'. Attacking something simply adds more fuel to the fire of the problem and makes it grow. Prohibition didn't get rid of alcohol, and the unintended consequences included organized crime and gasoline winning over Henry Ford's desire to use ethanol fuel.

Things end when people take the energy away from them - when they take their eyes and minds away from them. The Soviet Union fell apart in very few days when the mass consciousness realized that it was no longer worthy of their attention.

We can do the same with those in the way. Work the solution and prove beyond a doubt that it is a solution. Once enough people take their focus away from the teabaggers or neocons or spinless democrats or plastic grocery bags they'll be come redundant and fall away on their own.

Maybe we need to build a better environment and make sure the sheeple can find it? ;)

[soapbox? what soapbox?]

spinless dems or spineless? I have no idea what spinless dems are. And if it is spineless, then you left out republicans, independents, and every other political entity too. ;)

Lying down on the railroad tracks stopped the trains in India, but that "all-in" dedication to change is harder to find these days.

I joined, and will try to see what real plans exist for a transition.

Feeding, caring for, or "saving" all the people currently alive is no longer the issue. Most all of them, no matter how well fed, will be dead in 100 years anyway.

There is no real "need" to have 10 billion people on this planet.

Saving our "space-globe" to keep it comfortable and habitable is a FAR greater issue, or the cockroaches, ants, and termites might become the "dominant" remaining species on earth.

LEAFfan said:
spinless dems or spineless? I have no idea what spinless dems are. And if it is spineless, then you left out republicans, independents, and every other political entity too. ;)

yeah, thanks. Fixed the spelling and hopefully expanded the text enough to show that the examples given are not intended to be all-inclusive or a complete coverage of all the 'evils'. There's no idea or plan that can't be beaten to death by over thinking or nitpicking... ;)

garygid said:
Lying down on the railroad tracks stopped the trains in India, but that "all-in" dedication to change is harder to find these days.

It's there, Gary, but the numbers are still too few. It's growing...

garygid said:
Feeding, caring for, or "saving" all the people currently alive is no longer the issue. Most all of them, no matter how well fed, will be dead in 100 years anyway.

True enough. And frankly, not everyone on the planet is here to be saved or healed - so not all on the planet came here to 'make it thru' the next evolutionary jump. And that's OK.

garygid said:
There is no real "need" to have 10 billion people on this planet.

Neither is there a 'need' to have any other arbitrary number on the planet, larger or smaller. Some might choose, for example, to suggest that population should 'shrink' to match our current petroleum-based systems. This is a fool's errand because we know that oil supply is shrinking and eventually the tap will run dry - should our population continue to shrink in lock step until the last human standing turns off the tap just before (s)he dies?

Why am I replying to this. I guess I'm tired and bored.

Okay, so first of all, Zeitgeist the movie in 3 parts: True, Bullshit, Naïve.

As I've said before, the moment you bring up something like "9/11 was an inside job" you've pretty much lost the argument in the same way that comparing someone to Hitler does. I'm not going to explain why Occam's Razar dictates that 9/11 was an act performed by a number of Saudi Zealots who hijacked planes and caused extensive damage to a large area of lower Manhattan. Fortunately, the chief proponent in this thread has agreed that parts 1 -- which I feel was fairly accurate -- and 2 -- which I feel is false and inflammatory -- are irrelevant, so I shall end the argument there.

Humanity was once a resource-based species. You would barter for everything. Then money came along and credit was invented. What does credit do? It means that instead of living as a subsistence farmer who can barely afford the tools he needs in barter for his crops can now get a loan, use that to build an irrigation canal and thus grow far more crops on the same amount of land, feeding more people. Credit, in moderation, is a good thing.

Also, when people talk about resources, they usually mean agrarian resources. We're all to become farmer. Thank you chairman Mao and Pole Pot. Great idea, that. A great leap backward. Let's say, though, that there needs to be a set of manufacturers, for instance shoe makers. If all shoe makers use the same, slow technique, it will take as much effort to make a shoe now that it does in 300 years. Now, I know no-one would espouse a return to the guild-system, which actively prevented innovation meaning that that lack of growth was the dominant force in post-Roman Europe up until the Renaissance. Let's say you're allowed to innovate. But without protections, why should you? If you develop an innovative new way of making shoes, anyone else can just copy your technique and you won't be able to profit from it. So why try? Some will still innovate, to be sure, but without the direct incentive to innovate many more potential innovations will never be attempted because life is already good enough. The point being here is that Ideas are actually worth something. Ideas are a resource and a resource that many people neglect. It's hard to get counties like China and India to accept our intellectual property because they can't conceive of Ideas being a resource. We lacked that concept in the developed nations too: before books could be copyrighted, anyone could take any text and reproduce it as many times as they wanted with the author receiving nothing in return. Think how many Dickenses and Melvilles and Beecher-Stowes we were deprived of because someone couldn't afford to paid only once.

And as for people standing up to oppression, the train doesn't always stop, or have you forgotten June 4 1989? Sure, Aung San Suu Kyi lives but has she even caused one thing to change in Myanmar? Sometimes we can effect change, but sometimes the boot still stamps our head.

And as for population, who's to say how many? I personally think if we can ever build a Dyson's Sphere around our sun we could support trillions of people, if not quadrillions! And still have enough energy from the sun to feed and clothe and provide housing and health care and space for each and every one. And that's just around this one star. Science and innovation is the answer here and giving incentive to the idea makers is key!

Are the banks too big? YES! Are we ruled by Oligarchs? I believe so. Are we F'ing up the planet? Damn, straight! Are some governments and organizations not looking out for the best interest of their people? Sure! But I think John Lennon said it best:

"If you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you're not going to make it with anyone anyhow."

TimeHorse said:
Why am I replying to this. I guess I'm tired and bored.

Okay, so first of all, Zeitgeist the movie in 3 parts: True, Bullshit, Niëve.

The Zeitgeist Movement membership has pretty much agreed that the first section of the movie might be true, might not, but either way, it caused or could cause millions of people, possibly a billion, to see the Zeitgeist Movement as being 'anti-religious' which we are not. That is why we say the first part is irrelevant. The second part with it's assertions is largely seen as true by the membership, but it is irrelevant because no 'proof' seems to cause much change. It is, therefore, merely a diversion from the real task of education about the world, human social dynamics and how it is dysfunctional, and what to do about it. The third part is true in almost everyone's opinion, and we support that section largely because the movement itself came into existence because of it. But none of 'Zeitgeist: the movie' is officially from the Zeitgeist Movement. It was an 'art' piece by Peter J before the Zeitgeist Movement came into existence. Getting rid of the concepts that enslave us is the basis of the Movement, along with the social perspectives that will change the world. The Great Con Game called 'money' must end, or the ecosystem and humanity itself may not survive.

Humanity was once a resource-based species. You would barter for everything. Then money came along and credit was invented. What does credit do? It means that instead of living as a subsistence farmer who can barely afford the tools he needs in barter for his crops can now get a loan, use that to build an irrigation canal and thus grow far more crops on the same amount of land, feeding more people. Credit, in moderation, is a good thing.

Actually, there is no evidence that 'barter' was an early development of Humanity in pre-history. People lived in small tribes which simply took care of each other, like most families now. The 'barter' theory comes from seeing human interaction from the money paradigm which postulates 'property' maintained by violence and intimidation. But the evidence so far is that before the first 'civilization' humans did not use violence and intimidation against each other and did not barter. The concept of property itself seems to come from violence and coercion, and was first applied to other humans in slavery. The dynamic of social interactions was sharing in a form called 'gifting' where a person's value in someone else was shown by giving them the most valuable of gifts that individual had, and in sharing what was not immediately being used easily and freely. There is also no evidence of war then either, and tribes usually had orgies when they met, because their children became weaker with inbreeding if the genes were not shared freely. (of course they did not think in those terms.)

Also, when people talk about resources, they usually mean agrarian resources. We're all to become farmer. Thank you chairman Mao and Pole Pot. Great idea, that. A great leap backward. Let's say, though, that there needs to be a set of manufacturers, for instance shoe makers. If all shoe makers use the same, slow technique, it will take as much effort to make a shoe now that it does in 300 years. Now, I know no-one would espouse a return to the guild-system, which actively prevented innovation meaning that that lack of growth was the dominant force in post-Roman Europe up until the Renaissance. Let's say you're allowed to innovate. But without protections, why should you? If you develop an innovative new way of making shoes, anyone else can just copy your technique and you won't be able to profit from it. So why try? Some will still innovate, to be sure, but without the direct incentive to innovate many more potential innovations will never be attempted because life is already good enough. The point being here is that Ideas are actually worth something. Ideas are a resource and a resource that many people neglect. It's hard to get counties like China and India to accept our intellectual property because they can't conceive of Ideas being a resource. We lacked that concept in the developed nations too: before books could be copyrighted, anyone could take any text and reproduce it as many times as they wanted with the author receiving nothing in return. Think how many Dickenses and Melvilles and Beecher-Stowes we were deprived of because someone couldn't afford to paid only once.

All this comes from the violence enforced money system, which includes the very idea of 'profit' which was never a motivator in money terms before that imposition long ago. The paradigms now are not likely anything like the paradigms then. We are just beginning to understand how much our current dysfunctional cultural paradigms distort our understanding of past generations, especially in pre-history.

And as for people standing up to oppression, the train doesn't always stop, or have you forgotten June 4 1989? Sure, Aung San Suu Kyi lives but has she even caused one thing to change in Myanmar? Sometimes we can effect change, but sometimes the boot still stamps our head.

This condition is all about the common current paradigm of society everywhere, which is dysfunctional to the level of insanity. But nature does not forgive our insanity, and our practices are threating all life on this planet. But nothing is unchanging, and the paradigms are changing also. The situation in the world can change if enough people change the way they think. We know how to do it now, and the only factor holding us back is the fear that sheeple have that everyone else but them won't change. Fear is the mindkiller. That is what defines 'sheeple'... fear that others won't change which produces an attitude of 'it's impossible so why bother.' They are trapped in the attitude of fear that says: 'Anything good is evil, and anything bad is true'.

And as for population, who's to say how many? I personally think if we can ever build a Dyson's Sphere around our sun we could support trillions of people, if not quadrillions! And still have enough energy from the sun to feed and clothe and provide housing and health care and space for each and every one. And that's just around this one star. Science and innovation is the answer here and giving incentive to the idea makers is key!

Actually, the whole 'population' problem is easily fixed, (compare to some problems) merely by education and prosperity, both of which are the simplest problems to solve. The west's idea of 'population' overgrowth is caused by the concentration of people in cities which exist primarily for 'economic' reasons. There is no real 'population' problems in 1st world countries. The real population problem is in 3rd world countries where lack of education and poverty leave a dynamic where the majority of children die young, and having babies is the only survival dynamic a couple has. The ability to reproduce is the last component of humans to be lost to starvation, and sex is the only pleasure left, especially in a dark hut with no power, fuel for fires, or anything else. Is it no wonder sex is so important to them?

Are the banks too big? YES! Are we ruled by Oligarchs? I believe so. Are we F'ing up the planet? Damn, straight! Are some governments and organizations not looking out for the best interest of their people? Sure! But I think John Lennon said it best:

"If you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you're not going to make it with anyone anyhow."

We agree with that quote. But also Chairman Bush, or Chairman Hitler, or Chairman (insert banker or despot here)!

Actually, the Zeitgeist Movement and Venus Project does not propose anything communist or socialist. That is an illusion created by pigeonholing of concepts. For 'Capitalists', everything not capitalist is 'communist or socialist or fascist', although capitalism is a form of fascism. All the 'isms' mentioned are based on fascism, on organized 'approved' violence and coercion based upon a pyramid structure of control essential to their existence. The Zeitgeist Movement/Venus Project is not based upon these proven dysfunctional ideas of 'human nature' or 'authority'. It is a new paradigm, not a new 'ism'.

The question is, can you even imagine something new evolving in this time of acceleration of acceleration of scientific and technological development? Must all human social behavior fit in some 'pigeonhole' of past dysfunction? The sheeple say no, but the half a million Zeitgeist Members, and vast numbers more join every day, say 'yes' and are proceeding to develop that new paradigm. It is 'emergent' which means it continues to change, but the basics are the same... no organized social violence or intimidation, a new harmonious relationship with the ecosystem, (which we come from and must have to survive,) and the dropping of old dysfunctional social systems which have not, nor ever could, work. Sustainability means not having wars and great divisions among humanity that can be used to create wars. It means dropping old ways of thinking that devalue nature and humans to the level of waste or replaceable components. It means, most of all, getting rid of the concepts of money and the power it creates to waste human potential in distorted horrific devaluing of human life.

worldmind said:
The second part with it's assertions is largely seen as true by the membership, but it is irrelevant because no 'proof' seems to cause much change.

I know I can't convince you of the mountains of evidence against such an assertion and I feel sad that you will never see that the proof for the common belief that ex-President Bush was at worst negligent but by no means was he culpable or was this an inside job. There are many things to hate Bush for: the war in Iraq, the erasure of the Federal Surplus, the massive increases to U.S. national debt, the over-extension of government power via the Patriot Act and various Wire-Tapping laws, the total financial collapse of the U.S. economy nearly leading to another great depression, poorly regulated bailouts of the rich banks, friendship with big oil and Saudi Arabian autocrats; I could go on and on, but he point is, you and I disagree and as you don't wish to base your arguments on this poorly-supported theory of collusion, I just assume you go on believing in what I and most consider a fallacy.

worldmind said:
Actually, there is no evidence that 'barter' was an early development of Humanity in pre-history. People lived in small tribes which simply took care of each other, like most families now. The 'barter' theory comes from seeing human interaction from the money paradigm which postulates 'property' maintained by violence and intimidation. But the evidence so far is that before the first 'civilization' humans did not use violence and intimidation against each other and did not barter.

Alright, if you have such a knee-jerk reaction to the term barter, let's call it by its more fundamental name: Quid Pro Quo, This for That. Don't believe that Quid Pro Quo predates humanity? Let's do a case study in humanity's closest genetic relative, then. I give you the Chimpanzee and Bonobo. I wish to deal with each separately because I think both maintain aspects, as well as the Gorilla, of human instinct that is a union of those animals personalities, not a mirror of one or the other. But consider the hierarchical nature of all 3 groups. The Chimpanzee and Gorilla are both patriarchal species. Gorilla males are naturally big and naturally dominate. Chimpanzees are strong but establish pecking orders in terms of who gets to eat first, who gets to mate with the best females, and so on. How do they establish this pecking order? Through fights, yes, but also through grooming. What about the Bonobo? The Bonobo are more matriarchal, showing that there really is no reason in human society for patriarchy. In Bonobo society, fighting is much less common -- in a sense they are more civilized, like us humans. But where as Chimpanzees use violence and grooming to establish importance, Bonobos use sex and grooming. In both cases, there is grooming and grooming is a form of Quid Pro Quo, quite literally you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It is clear that the antecedent of
all human trade, barter or money is also Quid Pro Quo through grooming, better access to food and tools and mates and eventually more abstract Quid Pro Quo through exchange of manufactured goods, what is commonly known as bartering.

Bartering is not pejorative, it is simply a form of Quid Pro Quo at a material level. Quid Pro Quo is in human nature; it's in our evolutionary baggage and not something we have yet evolved "past".

worldmind said:
The concept of property itself seems to come from violence and coercion, and was first applied to other humans in slavery. The dynamic of social interactions was sharing in a form called 'gifting' where a person's value in someone else was shown by giving them the most valuable of gifts that individual had, and in sharing what was not immediately being used easily and freely. There is also no evidence of war then either, and tribes usually had orgies when they met, because their children became weaker with inbreeding if the genes were not shared freely. (of course they did not think in those terms.)[/b]

Of course, humans have a capacity for giving and altruism without expectation. But this is only valid to a point. Okay, you don't like the term communist, and communism as practiced in the Soviet Union or China or Cuba is not true communism as I would define it anyway. But if you don't like an ism, let's call your system the "kibbutz". The kibbutz in the founding days of the nation of Israel was indeed much like the Utopian society you describe. Everyone understood their job, their place, what needed to be done, everyone trusted everyone else, everyone shared everything. It sounds to me this is exactly the world you describe. The reason why the Kibbutz and many of the old, U.S. pioneering societies flourished was because you knew everyone in that society. As long as you know somebody, you can trust that person. The problem is when you create a society too big for everyone to know everyone else. That is when the kibbutz breaks down. When you have people you know and people you don't know you're always going to trust more the people you know. It's basic human nature.

There is a natural limit to the number of people we can truly know well. It may be in the 100s, but it's likely not the 1,000s -- do you know 1,000 people well? Never mind the millions or billions. At worst your society will develop an us vs. them attitude, but that can be overcome with negotiation and trade and mutual understanding. But that understanding is only good to a limit, and this is why no kabbutz has survived with much more than a few tens of people. This is why attempts at a kabbutz society in Russia and China and Cuba failed.

I like the kabbutz, but you can't grow in a kabbutz. With so much effort spent on simply feeding the household, there is little time for science and research and the advancement of the arts. Those things were not impossible, but certainly they could not grow without division of labor, and by the time you have enough people for a division of labor that includes the more quality of life occupations, you're typically already too big to know everyone.

So how do you equalize the relationships between the kabbutz? Trade, barter, money. Money solves the us vs. them problem. Money is the great equalizer. People come in all different shapes and sizes and skills and abilities but money is the same for everyone. I can earn a wage discovering new science, you can earn a wage writing a new treatise on a modern Kabbutz system, someone else can earn money developing an electric car. I don't know you, so how can I trust that you have my best interests at heart? How can you trust me? Money. My money is as good as your money.

Also, money may be used for evil purposes, but it should also be noted that it has been used for good. It has been redistributed to help the less fortunate, it has been donated to relieve suffering, it has been used to break Communist oppression in the Soviet Union, it is used in capitalism to spurn competition which causes prices to fall making products more accessible to the masses.

Should we consider the purpose of life the pursuit of money? Heavens no! I feel that the benefice we grant others is our greatest purpose on this Earth, to teach to care, to donate. I, for instance, am a member of the Open Sourced Software community and freely give some of my work to the general public to use as they please. I even develop free software applications to bring enjoyment. But I still need to eat, and giving things away will not put food in my mouth. I still need to earn a living and if the choice is to simply live a subsistence farmer's life, waking each morning with a deep pit of dread that my crops have failed, or to depend on others more skilled at food production and others more skilled at protecting my liberties and others more skilled at building cars and roads and tools so that I can focus on the things they can use in return and we all use a universal currency. I most assuredly prefer the later and see this as the best course to having a flourishing humanity.

worldmind said:
All this comes from the violence enforced money system, which includes the very idea of 'profit' which was never a motivator in money terms before that imposition long ago. The paradigms now are not likely anything like the paradigms then. We are just beginning to understand how much our current dysfunctional cultural paradigms distort our understanding of past generations, especially in pre-history.

Profit is just a way of greasing the machinery. We do need to be mindful of excessive profit, but profit is just another form of Quid Pro Quo, in the sense that it is payment in thanks for effort and labor, be that labor of the hands or of the mind. I do think that the pursuit of profit is indeed a terrible ill that has befallen this country. Be it the greed of doctors, hospitals, pharmaceutical corporations, medical supply companies, insurers or patients, excessive profit when it comes to health-care is destroying an already feeble social contract. I wish something as basic as human health was a right, not a privileged of the rich. Perhaps one day, but yes, money does have its dark side in lobbyist and PACs and rich disinformation machines.

So profit is not perfect, but without it we loose the ability to progress through trade and specialization. I see the answer as accountability and regulation, not a total elimination of money all together. There are some real benefits to money, as I've already spelled out. The goal should be how to make money work better, not to eliminate it all together.

worldmind said:
This condition is all about the common current paradigm of society everywhere, which is dysfunctional to the level of insanity. But nature does not forgive our insanity, and our practices are threating all life on this planet. But nothing is unchanging, and the paradigms are changing also. The situation in the world can change if enough people change the way they think. We know how to do it now, and the only factor holding us back is the fear that sheeple have that everyone else but them won't change. Fear is the mindkiller. That is what defines 'sheeple'... fear that others won't change which produces an attitude of 'it's impossible so why bother.' They are trapped in the attitude of fear that says: 'Anything good is evil, and anything bad is true'.

I find that most people are quite rational thinkers; it is mostly the media that is making them unable to see how some organizations are taking advantage of them through obscene profits in basic commodities or tax laws that benefit the rich rather than the voter. There is a lot of fear in the voter, to be sure, but a lot of hope too. Nobody is a sheeple, not the American working his 40-hour job, not the subsistence farmer in Asia or Africa. They all have minds, they can all see what is important to their situation at that time.

For instance, take that subsistence farmer in the developing world. She has this very inefficient farm that she'd like to improve but because she has to pay for her kids school and barely has enough money for anything else, she can't afford to improve her condition. Enter the micro-credit revolution. Now, she can borrow a few thousand dollars to make some simple improvements to her long-term farming needs and in the end become a more efficient farmer, which means more money for the education of her children which leads to a better society. The answer isn't to take away her access to credit -- she never had it before and look where that got her. The answer is to extend to her that micro-loan so that she improves, the society improves and the nation develops.

worldmind said:
Actually, the whole 'population' problem is easily fixed, (compare to some problems) merely by education and prosperity, both of which are the simplest problems to solve. The west's idea of 'population' overgrowth is caused by the concentration of people in cities which exist primarily for 'economic' reasons. There is no real 'population' problems in 1st world countries. The real population problem is in 3rd world countries where lack of education and poverty leave a dynamic where the majority of children die young, and having babies is the only survival dynamic a couple has. The ability to reproduce is the last component of humans to be lost to starvation, and sex is the only pleasure left, especially in a dark hut with no power, fuel for fires, or anything else. Is it no wonder sex is so important to them?

As I just explained, education comes through freed resources and freed resources come from Micro-credit, the one thing your movement is so against. We agree that education is the answer, but micro-credit is a way to pay for it, to Quid Pro Quo for it, as it were. I see no solution in your system -- at least none that could work in anything larger than a kibbutz.

worldmind said:
We agree with that quote. But also Chairman Bush, or Chairman Hitler, or Chairman (insert banker or despot here)!

Actually, the Zeitgeist Movement and Venus Project does not propose anything communist or socialist. That is an illusion created by pigeonholing of concepts. For 'Capitalists', everything not capitalist is 'communist or socialist or fascist', although capitalism is a form of fascism. All the 'isms' mentioned are based on fascism, on organized 'approved' violence and coercion based upon a pyramid structure of control essential to their existence. The Zeitgeist Movement/Venus Project is not based upon these proven dysfunctional ideas of 'human nature' or 'authority'. It is a new paradigm, not a new 'ism'.

The question is, can you even imagine something new evolving in this time of acceleration of acceleration of scientific and technological development? Must all human social behavior fit in some 'pigeonhole' of past dysfunction? The sheeple say no, but the half a million Zeitgeist Members, and vast numbers more join every day, say 'yes' and are proceeding to develop that new paradigm. It is 'emergent' which means it continues to change, but the basics are the same... no organized social violence or intimidation, a new harmonious relationship with the ecosystem, (which we come from and must have to survive,) and the dropping of old dysfunctional social systems which have not, nor ever could, work. Sustainability means not having wars and great divisions among humanity that can be used to create wars. It means dropping old ways of thinking that devalue nature and humans to the level of waste or replaceable components. It means, most of all, getting rid of the concepts of money and the power it creates to waste human potential in distorted horrific devaluing of human life.

Yes, I know the thing you describe. It has been tried, it has been seen on this Earth before. It is the kibbutz. If you are so offended by isms, then leave it at that. You are in favor of the kibbutz on an international basis. And I contend, as I've spelled out above, that this is unsustainable.

Listen, I will admit that I think you are a very cogent and intelligent individual, which makes me all the more sad that you can't see the big picture, the full weight of human society and history that makes us what we are. I would love a Star Trek federation ideal world, but it's just not compatible with human nature. It may seem to work for a while, but as the system grows it collapses and the only thing that's kept it stable this long is money. I just wish you could work with me to fix the problems with money and credit that we both agree already do exist, not through radical and naïve destruction but through the construction of stronger protections and better institutions.

Back