evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Q:Do Gas Prices Correlate With Plug-in Vehicle Sales? Ans:NO

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:53 pm

http://www.pluginamerica.org/drivers-se ... icle-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very Low +ve correlation with PHEVs

Very Low -ve correlation with BEVs

Almost flat for all PEV

1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

abasile
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Re: Q:Do Gas Prices Correlate With Plug-in Vehicle Sales? An

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:57 pm

I am skeptical that plug-in vehicle sales are as independent of fuel prices as we would all like to believe. The issue I see with that analysis is that the market for plug-ins is emerging. Many performance-oriented, technology-driven and environmentally-conscious buyers are just now becoming educated about EVs, and the market is experiencing rapid growth. However, if today's fuel prices were higher, it is quite conceivable that the plug-in market would be growing at an even faster rate.

When purchasing big ticket items like cars, a great many of us feel a need to rationalize our decisions, and for an EV purchase, saving money on fuel is certainly one selling point. This is true even for plenty of Tesla buyers, as evidenced by Tesla's website previously touting "fuel savings" as a factor making the Model S relatively more affordable.

Also, plug-in vehicle buyers seem to be more educated and savvy than average car buyers. We know that fuel prices are often cyclical and will not stay low forever, so we consciously seek to avoid basing a car purchase decision on last week's or last month's drop in gas prices. On the other hand, if fuel prices remain low for an extended period, then even the most savvy buyers will begin to factor those low prices into their cost of ownership calculations.

Low fuel prices should serve as a wake-up call to continue our efforts to remind others of the many other, excellent reasons to drive electric.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

DanCar
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:23 pm

I suspect there is a correlation with hybrid vehicles and light plug ins (like the prius plug in). People I communicate with seem more interested in buying SUVs, so will also postulate a theory that the gas guzzlers will do better.
Last edited by DanCar on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Leaf SL leased 3/10/2013

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I did see an article today that Prius sales are way down, sorry I don't have the link now. They pointed out that at today's gas prices it would take something like 28 years to make back the higher purchase price in gas savings. Of course that assumes we are looking at 28 years of prices at these levels.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

bigrob90
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 316941

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:43 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:I did see an article today that Prius sales are way down, sorry I don't have the link now. They pointed out that at today's gas prices it would take something like 28 years to make back the higher purchase price in gas savings. Of course that assumes we are looking at 28 years of prices at these levels.
I think this suggests that EV owners are more ideologically attached to their vehicles, and are therefore a bit more price inflexible than Prius owners. The Prius, owing to its much wider adoption, likely has a much more varied customer base, and consumers, generally, react strongly to price changes.
Cayenne Red 2015 Leaf S w/QC
2 year, 15k lease

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm fairly sure that PIP sales are related to the periodic 'lease sales' that Toyota runs on them. When a PIP costs less than a Prius II to lease, they fly off the lots. These promotions are in turn correlated to whether or not Toyota needs to sell them at a given time to earn more ZEV credits and clear out that year's inventory, not to fuel prices. I think that many BEV sales are at least related to fuel prices, but not directly tied to them.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Zythryn

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:54 pm

bigrob90 wrote:
LTLFTcomposite wrote:I did see an article today that Prius sales are way down, sorry I don't have the link now. They pointed out that at today's gas prices it would take something like 28 years to make back the higher purchase price in gas savings. Of course that assumes we are looking at 28 years of prices at these levels.
I think this suggests that EV owners are more ideologically attached to their vehicles, and are therefore a bit more price inflexible than Prius owners. The Prius, owing to its much wider adoption, likely has a much more varied customer base, and consumers, generally, react strongly to price changes.
Perhaps in part.
I think a bigger factor is that the ONLY reason to buy a hybrid is fuel savings.
With EVs you get a better quality, more fun drive experience.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:05 am

I think a bigger factor is that the ONLY reason to buy a hybrid is fuel savings.
Many Prius drivers will attest that it's nice to have the engine off while stopped, and at low speeds on level road. After driving one for a while, it seems crude and even mildly obscene to have the car sitting at a long light with the engine running. It's also very nice to have A/C available when parked with the engine off.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

dhanson865
Leaf Number: 16156

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:59 am

Those articles are always FUD anyway. They never compare cars with the same cargo room, seating capacity, or luxury features.

I bought a 2005 Prius several years ago for about $11,000. That was cheaper than I could get a Camry, Matrix, or Corolla with the same condition/miles on odometer in my town.

I'm currently looking at used Leafs at around the that same price point but 6 to 7 years newer. Some have only 15,000 miles on them some have 40,000 miles but ever single one has more luxury features than my old 2005 and every single one is nicer than the bare bones cars these sorts of articles want to compare them to.

People that write these sorts of articles need to look at truedelta.com to compare features and reliability and stop making invalid price comparisons.
Blue 2012 Leaf 195/65/15 tires, 15" Rims
Silver 2012 Leaf 16" stock wheels
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... acity_Loss
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

GRA

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I've been looking for this chart, and finally found it again. It's from a study done in the UK from 2004 to 2009, tracking fuel prices and interest in BEVs, and shows a pretty direct correlation. A bit old now, but the UK did have BEVs in use at the time (REVAs in London). Anyway, see page 11: http://www.transportenvironment.org/sit ... 20Cars.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”