Another Fox News Delusional Rant - "The 6 Myths About Oil"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritikatootie

WARNING - This article is so delusional, even for Fox News, that it may cause you to throw up in your mouth... Reader Discretion Is Advised.

Click here for the Fox News delusional rant,"The 6 Myths About Oil". I wonder if this "fine reporting" was sponsored by the American Petroleum Institute?

#2:

The Reality: There is zero evidence that any “renewable” can replace oil in any foreseeable future.

#3:

Reality: There’s a lot more oil than you think—and if we have a free market in energy we will ensure that we find superior substitutes long before we run out.

OK, they will all be non-renuable substitutes that won't run out. Nuclear Cars?

Favorite quote from the article: "The upshot: we will never run out the energy we get from oil--unless we run out of freedom."

That so many people in this country rely on Fox News for their information is absolutely terrifying.

Uh, this piece is by Alex Epstein: "...an Analyst focusing on business issues at the Ayn Rand Institute (ARI). "

Lot's of "insightful" writing. I especially liked his 2002 piece: What Is Killing the Stock Market? Government Regulation : July 23, 2002, Ayn Rand Institute

All part of the Fox News "Fair and Balanced" portfolio.

sparky said:
Uh, this piece is by Alex Epstein: "...an Analyst focusing on business issues at the Ayn Rand Institute (ARI). "
Oh, the cult of Ayn Rand. Can't believe Fox would follow the ideology of an Atheist like Ayn Rand :twisted:

LBCev said:
That so many people in this country rely on Fox News for their information is absolutely terrifying.
Amen to that. I might add that even Google treats Fox News as a legitimate news outlet which is rather discouraging. Articles and video clips from Fox News pop up from time to time on my iGoogle page and if I'm not careful sometimes I click on them. Then I have to make a hasty retreat with the back button to avoid wasting my time with useless propaganda.

#5 is true: Even if we stop buying Oil from Saudi Arabia and Iran the Chinese will, so there is little hope in cutting off petro dollars to those regimes.

Obviously the rest is garbage... oil may last until we develop the alternatives, but the theme of this article is not to even bother developing those alternatives.

SteveInSeattle said:
#5 is true: Even if we stop buying Oil from Saudi Arabia and Iran the Chinese will, so there is little hope in cutting off petro dollars to those regimes.
The Chinese are ahead of us in not making that mistake - becoming dependent on another country for their energy (and by proxy, economic stability). Their government is very heavy-handed, but they do seem to have a very clear goal in mind.

Also, the Chinese are not yet in the deep cultural rut of "everyone must own a car" like the US is. Nearly 90% of Americans own a motor vehicle of some kind, and there's no reason to think 90% of Chinese citizens will aspire to own a car. China might beat us in absolute numbers, but they have four times the population.

But you're right, if we don't buy the oil someone else will - but if we're not buying the oil, we no longer have such heavily vested interest in controlling that region politically and militarily. It's not just the money they get from oil purchases at stake here.
=Smidge=

2693610878_09201d3263.jpg

Myth #1: America’s reliance on oil is an “addiction”—an irrational, self-destructive habit.

The Reality: America’s use of oil brings indispensible value to our lives.
Both the "Myth" and "Reality" can be true. I see no contradiction here.

Myth #2: There are “green” technologies that are just as good, or better, than oil.
The Reality: There is zero evidence that any “renewable” can replace oil in any foreseeable future.
Again, both the "Myth" and "Reality" can be true. I see no contradiction here. We have plenty of better technologies that will take a long time to ramp up.

Myth #3: Because oil is finite, it will inevitably run out.
Reality: There’s a lot more oil than you think—and if we have a free market in energy we will ensure that we find superior substitutes long before we run out.
BS. You can't have infinite resources on a finite planet. Moreover there is strong evidence for peak oil - which nobody has refuted systematically with good numbers.

Myth #4: Because oil is mostly in other countries, they can cut us off at will and create an economic catastrophe.
Reality: International trade makes our energy supply more secure—and far more affordable.
How can they be so stupid ? Didn't we have international trade in 1971 ?

Myth #5: Because oil money funds hostile dictatorships (Iran, Saudi Arabia) by using less oil we can make them poorer and make ourselves more secure.
Reality: Direct threats to America must be fought through direct and decisive military action—not through multi-decade, sacrificial schemes to lower oil prices.
None of these are direct threats.

Myth #6: Because the burning of oil produces CO2, oil is a deadly pollutant that must be severely capped.
Reality: Carbon-caps, not carbon emissions, are the real deadly threat to human life.
Cool. Palin & Rush are better than of thousands of scientists.

LBCev said:
Favorite quote from the article: "The upshot: we will never run out the energy we get from oil--unless we run out of freedom."

It is sad that so many Americans believe what is said on Fox news.

evnow said:
sparky said:
Oh, the cult of Ayn Rand. Can't believe Fox would follow the ideology of an Atheist like Ayn Rand :twisted:

If there is a Heaven and a Hell, then Ayn Rand must surely be in Hell. She is the single most pernicious influence in common circulation today.

LBCev said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Philosopher.
Perhaps not an expert in scientific data analysis.

Another person willing to write about their opinions.
Any reason to note her ideas in any special way?

Philosophy:
Is she keen on "sharing" and "getting along"?

Or, did she invent "Don't pee in the water WE drink!"?

Or perhaps, "Let's kill others before bothering to learn from them."?

"Take from others before they can take from you."

Or, "What handwriting on the wall?".

Or, other popular humanoid slogans.
I guess you guys don't yet know that you are just a galactic joke.

Faux News' religion is money, make no mistake. So they can live with Ayn Rand being an atheist, although they wouldn't be caught dead mentioning her religious beliefs or too many heads would explode in the US :lol:
she's also a boring read, but that's another story....

evnow said:
sparky said:

"Cool. Palin & Rush are better than of thousands of scientists."

Whenever I get bored, and want some laughs, I watch/listen to these people. Or, sometimes I like to watch Jimmy Swaggart. Be reminded, however, that they are laughing all the way to the bank. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

derkraut said:
"Cool. Palin & Rush are better than of thousands of scientists."

Whenever I get bored, and want some laughs, I watch/listen to these people. Or, sometimes I like to watch Jimmy Swaggart. Be reminded, however, that they are laughing all the way to the bank. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Would those be the same banks that Bush bailed out with TARP money? Wait...I'm seeing a connect(internet disconnected)

:evil:

Back