GRA

Re: California, allies ready for emission-law war with Trump EPA, CARB head says

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Presumably directed at me, but as my claims were based on data recorded by various govt. agencies whose job it is to monitor both the amount and sources of pollution, you should argue with them if you disagree.

Unfortunately, using my phone makes citing/linking to these sources tedious, but Google searches for things like California pollution sources, covid-19 effects on air quality etc. will bring up numerous articles.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: California, allies ready for emission-law war with Trump EPA, CARB head says

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Gasoline production is down about 40% and storage is filling up fast. So it's safe to say gasoline consumption has just about been cut in half.

Diesel, fuel oil, jet fuel production is down maybe 20 to 25%, normally production is decreasing this time of year and inventory is usually increasing but inventory is still in the normal range.
It would appear that the lack of jet fuel sales and the implosion of air travel can account most of that sales reduction.

Spring harvest of animal feed is in full swing here, so crops aren't being left in the field to rot, yet.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Feed crop harvesting is very automated - you only need a combine, a driver for it, a truck, and a driver for that. Even half a dozen people, all in separate vehicles, aren't a problem. Harvesting vegetable crops is very labor intensive.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Oilpan4

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Yeah I know I own a tractor, have fruit trees and know how labor intense fruit and vegetable harvests are and have my field harvested for hay most years.
That's why a good portion of my wild fruit trees fruit goes to the deer.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

GRA

Fri May 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:52 pm
Gasoline production is down about 40% and storage is filling up fast. So it's safe to say gasoline consumption has just about been cut in half.

Diesel, fuel oil, jet fuel production is down maybe 20 to 25%, normally production is decreasing this time of year and inventory is usually increasing but inventory is still in the normal range.
It would appear that the lack of jet fuel sales and the implosion of air travel can account most of that sales reduction.

Yet Caltrans reported a 1/3rd reduction in heavy truck VMT just in LA county (for March I believe) of 1/3rd, from 1.8 down to 1.2 million miles. Do you think that has no effect on air quality, especially given the amount of PM 2.5 big diesels emit?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Oilpan4

Sat May 02, 2020 12:11 am

Every little bit helps.

GRA

Sat May 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:11 am
Every little bit helps.

1/3rd of the most polluting VMT is hardly "a little bit". Passenger car VMT is down about 50% (as much as 70% in the first two weeks), but as cars in California pollute far less than big diesels, esp. PM 2.5, the air quality effect of the reduced truck/train VMT plus ships is greater.

GRA

Sat May 02, 2020 3:46 pm

For some info on U.S. VMT reductions in various regions, see the GCC article whose title starts "US Covid-19 mitigation efforts resulting in significant decline in traffic, emissions . . ."

Oilpan4

Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 am

See California could have this all the time if they pushed way more electric vehicles and pollution exportation.

GRA

Tue May 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 am
See California could have this all the time if they pushed way more electric vehicles and pollution exportation.

So your answer is that we should dump the local air pollution problem on someone else, rather than fixing it at the source? That's pretty much what the developed world has been doing for decades, by outsourcing most of our dirtiest jobs to poorer countries with limited environmental laws and enforcement. No, thanks.

We've been ending out of state contracts for coal for well over a decade, and prohibited new plants here while phasing out existing ones even longer. NG will go next, as we develop affordable storage for our ever increasing VR. The major IOUs are already required to have substantial amounts of storage, enough in some cases to handle the evening peak, although seasonal storage remains too expensive for now.

ZEV adoption rate remains constrained by the same three factors (price/range/charging) as have applied for the past decade, although those are slowly improving, and the state continues to provide subsidies and perks But the drop in people's incomes due to Covid-19 will slow the transition for at least a couple of years, IMO.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”