jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Teslas blocking level 2 chargers?

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:33 am

By "blocked" you mean they were at the Level 2 EVSEs and not using them? Or were they charging?

And you say "that garage has 10 Tesla chargers ", meaning there is a 10 stall SuperCharger at that mall. Did you happen to notice if all those were in use, too?
Last edited by jlv on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
85K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

jlv

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:36 am

My most vivid memory like this was when I took my LEAF into Boston and went to a garage with 2 EVSEs. Those were blocked by a pair of Plug-in Priuses who were both already done charging. 2 hours later when I left, both of them were still occupying the EVSEs. I should have written a thread "PHEVs blocking level 2 chargers?"

(and in that case, they *were* blocking the EVSEs as they were no longer charging)
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
ICE free since '18

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:02 am

jlv wrote:My most vivid memory like this was when I took my LEAF into Boston and went to a garage with 2 EVSEs. Those were blocked by a pair of Plug-in Priuses who were both already done charging. 2 hours later when I left, both of them were still occupying the EVSEs. I should have written a thread "PHEVs blocking level 2 chargers?"

(and in that case, they *were* blocking the EVSEs as they were no longer charging)
And that too is a problem and very annoying. Some sort of mall ticketing should occur if the vehicle is not charging or has completed.
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F, (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 4.5K miles, 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 20%, temp < 105F

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am

lorenfb wrote:
Nubo wrote:If they were charging, they have a right to charge. End of story. Claiming you're more entitled isn't going to get you far with most people.
Totally agree! My experience in many cases is that they're not even plugged-in or the EVSE is in the off mode.
OP says 3 vehicles were blocking 6 spaces. I find it hard to believe they were there to charge. Even if they were charging... all 3 blocking 2 spaces each sounds like a coordinated effort. Talk to security. (I work for a mall and in my area they would be "relocated" shortly)
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 am

Of course they have a right to charge there but in my opinion it is poor form unless they have no home charging available. I would never charge my Tesla at an L2 public charger unless in dire need. This is from a former 6 year Leaf owner and current 2 year Tesla model S owner. The only public charging I do in my Tesla is at superchargers when I need the charge in order to complete my trip (total of less than 10 times over two years). Let the shorter range BEV and PHEV have those chargers!
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

jlv

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:16 am

smkettner wrote:OP says 3 vehicles were blocking 6 spaces. I find it hard to believe they were there to charge. Even if they were charging... all 3 blocking 2 spaces each sounds like a coordinated effort.
OP says:
I found that all 6 of the J1772's were taken, 3 by Teslas (1-S, 1-X, and 1-3) ... to have Teslas take half of the other slots
E.g,. 6 cars were charging at 6 EVSEs. The OP is unhappy that half were in use by Tesla's, apparently charging, but calls that "blocking".
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
ICE free since '18

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:31 am

Stoaty wrote:Of course they have a right to charge there but in my opinion it is poor form unless they have no home charging available. I would never charge my Tesla at an L2 public charger unless in dire need. This is from a former 6 year Leaf owner and current 2 year Tesla model S owner. The only public charging I do in my Tesla is at superchargers when I need the charge in order to complete my trip (total of less than 10 times over two years). Let the shorter range BEV and PHEV have those chargers!
I reckon most drivers would exhibit that etiquette. But some folks can't resist FREE whether they need it or not. The corrective doesn't lie in shaming. A simple change in policy to require payment will work wonders.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:07 pm

jlv wrote:
smkettner wrote:OP says 3 vehicles were blocking 6 spaces. I find it hard to believe they were there to charge. Even if they were charging... all 3 blocking 2 spaces each sounds like a coordinated effort.
OP says:
I found that all 6 of the J1772's were taken, 3 by Teslas (1-S, 1-X, and 1-3) ... to have Teslas take half of the other slots
E.g,. 6 cars were charging at 6 EVSEs. The OP is unhappy that half were in use by Tesla's, apparently charging, but calls that "blocking".
Maybe I mis-read the statement. Tesla is an EV and has the same right to charge as any plug-in vehicle. No issue here.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:14 pm

Ok, what I thought was a pretty clear post has somehow been misread by multiple people. So here are a few clarifications:

1. There were 3 Teslas taking 3 of the 6 slots of level 2 chargers, not 3 blocking all 6 spots. The concern is that Teslas have now claimed 13 of the 16 available slots despite being a minority of the plug-ins on the road.
2. At no point did I state they weren't eligible to charge there. It is a matter of ethics/etiquette/efficient allocation of scarce resources. Hence why I didn't propose having them towed or ticketed. Though it is feasible to request management to designate them as non-Tesla since they put in 10 that are Tesla only, so they clearly can decide which brand EV can use which spot. My inquiry was about how to nudge Tesla owners into behaving better. While Model 3 sales are closing the gap, non-Tesla EVs on the road still outnumber Teslas (at least as of last couple times I looked at the sales numbers). Yet they get 10 spots reserved for them while the rest of us have to scramble for 6, and then Tesla owners take half of those. This is very poor allocation of resources.
3. I assumed they were legitimately charging and didn't suspect them of actual ill-will by 'parking without charging'. I therefore, did not inspect to verify that aspect.
4. I am aware that the Tesla spots are not as conveniently located. Due to that and my schedule, I didn't work my way over to the Tesla spots to see if those were already occupied. If I did and found that there were at least 3 spots open there, I'd have been really ticked. But as I didn't get there, I don't know on that point. My irritation is that as currently set, Tesla's which are a minority of the plug-in cars, get their pick of 16 spots where the rest of us get 6 and that is if the Tesla owner's don't hog them first. And yes, people can have a right to use it and still be rather hoggish and immoral or at least unaware/inconsiderate - this isn't a legal issue, but an ethical/courtesy one. At level 2, it could take a really long time to charge Tesla sized batteries, thus blocking that resource if they don't mind paying for parking past 90 minutes.

The free aspect could be a valid explanation for the conduct. I know the level 2 charging is free - you only pay for the parking, and that is free for the 1st 90 minutes. I don't know if there is a charge for using the Tesla spots. If there is, then I think that is a very valid speculation as to what is driving this behavior. In which case, the mentioned adjustments to pricing structure would likely be best solution if mall management isn't interested in designating the level 2 as non-Tesla. I agree that 'free' is a powerful incentive and can draw considerable lack of consideration even from those wealthy enough for an S or X model. Also the more convenient location of the level 2 versus the Tesla chargers fits in the same category - if an inconsiderate person can get away with it which under present rules they can, then they likely will go for the more convenient spot.

Looking at the #evhole site someone pointed to, I see that hogging charging spots is quite an annoyance in the plug-in community. And as both a BEV and PHEV driver, I've personally avoided charging when it wasn't needed to avoid gas use in order to preserve availability for BEVs that might need it to complete their trip. I've been in the situation of following my Leaf's guidance to a pair of chargers to find one occupied by a Volt and the other by a Tesla and had to slowly crawl to the next nearest one to charge. So I try not to take the last open spot and limit my time there to brief periods. But that is me deciding to live to a certain standard of conduct as opposed to taking every last advantage I can legally get away with. From what I've seen at #evhole, this approach appears to be declining along with many other elements of modern society.

I'm thinking an appropriate nudge is to assume the person is unaware of the etiquette aspects and the limited infrastructure and perhaps leave a note. But I think I'd want to be more diplomatic than the notes at #evhole. Those who are truly unaware might change their behavior. Those who don't care, won't.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:18 pm

DarthPuppy wrote:...The concern is that Teslas have now claimed 13 of the 16 available slots despite being a minority of the plug-ins on the road. ..
I agree with some of your concerns, but not this one. An EV driver of any make shouldn't be expected to view things through such a representational lens. It's just them and their car, not about what percentage of slots are being used by their "tribe" vs their population stats.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”