GRA

GCC: Subaru to expand use of Toyota Hybrid System to other models following new business and capital alliance

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:16 pm

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/0 ... ubaru.html

They'll be jointly working on a dedicated AWD BEV platform among other things.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: GCC: Subaru to expand use of Toyota Hybrid System to other models following new business and capital alliance

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:37 pm

GRA wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:16 pm
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/0 ... ubaru.html

They'll be jointly working on a dedicated AWD BEV platform among other things.
Subaru AWD is a complicated beast.
An electric motor front and back is not. I have grave doubts how much Subaru IP will be of value to Toyota
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

GRA

Re: GCC: Subaru to expand use of Toyota Hybrid System to other models following new business and capital alliance

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:13 pm

It is an interesting issue. Making the car basically FWD with an electric motor on the rear to provide AWD in a limited set of conditions, as Toyota did with the Prius and RAV4, is more energy efficient and probably cheaper, but not as effective in poor conditions. For my needs the Toyota approach is fine, as I'm mainly interested in AWD for regulatory compliance rather than needing the traction, but for people who need that extra traction on a regular basis Subaru's approach is better.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Titanium48
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2019

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 pm

If the rear electric motor has enough torque to match the available traction and is combined with a LSD or virtual LSD via the traction control logic, it will work as well as anything in poor conditions. If the goal is a BEV or a series hybrid, there is no point in trying to drive all wheels from a single motor. Just put equal sized electric motors front and rear.

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”