jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

some comments on Nissan EV Strategy

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:30 am

Hi -

In another thread I made a comment on a point of past Nissan EV strategy, and some discussion ensued, but it was of tenuous relevance to the thread topic, so I am starting a thread here. I don't know if there are already any existing threads for discussion of Nissan EV Strategy past and present.

If we put ourselves in the shoes of those who participate in strategy decisions that have significant consequences for a major corporation, we can understand it can be challenging. So, personally, I bear this in mind.
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/ba ... hp?vid=229
2017-October: bght 2013 Volt
will buy 150+ mile BEV when they become less expensive on used market
opinions expressed are my own

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: some comments on Nissan EV Strategy

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:14 am

I think the Nissan EV strategy was reasonable back in the day, and it is arguably reasonable today if the discussion is the LEAF and its no TMS battery.

My peeve is with the warranty and Nissan's treatment of customers. An 8 year, 30% degradation, pro-rated warranty after 8 years would be fine. The current case where Nissan tells customers to pound sound if the degradation limit is reached 1 second after the warranty expires is why I will not consider, let alone buy, another Nissan EV. If Nissan has to exclude the hottest states from the decent warranty then so be it.

Put another way, I reject the Nissan strategy that engineers an EV to fail soon after the their warranty expires, and I think the failure of the LEAF in the US marketplace is easily traced to this corporate decision. Not content to just screw their customers with the current battery warranty, Nissan tries to prevent 3rd party battery upgrades and refuses to offer an upgrade path. If Nissan can not do better warranty wise and still produce a profitable EV line then they are in the wrong business. And they really should learn to not treat their current customers like garbage.
Last edited by SageBrush on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:04 pm

I'm not sure I'd call it a "strategy". I think LEAF *project* was strategic, and was heavily advocated by Carlos Ghosn as the inevitable future direction of auto manufacturing. The subsequent reveal of the schism and intrigue between Ghosn and other Nissan execs goes a long way in my mind of explaining Nissan's oddly shizophrenic and lackluster approach to advancing their EVs ever since the launch.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Agreed

Carlos was trying to move the company faster than the laggards in the company. I don't think Nissan fully appreciated the number of people in ther earlier days of the Leaf (2010-2014) which came curious, and left in a Rogue or Pathfinder. Once Leaf lost that mantle of being innovator, so to did they lose audience. We would have never looked at a Nissan without the Leaf. The rest of the company lacked the vision to change or the appetite for risk to make the needed amount of change. GM and Ford have really only woken up to it recently and finding out its much harder then they had hoped. (Though the Bolt is am excellent EV and underrated due to looks)

Sadly, I am not sure I will buy another one without a bit more commitment to existing customers. I do think this is something that Tesla gets right and does reinforce the brand. Its just only something you can afford when you are in high growth mode with strong product pipeline. Thats not Nissan today.

Again, love our Leafs as high value medium range EVs. Just went downtown and back (30 mile round trip on 55mph highways) on 10% battery (68% to 58%). Sure 517 miles would be awesome, but Ia not sure i drive enough to justify more than 200 miles of range.
2019 S Plus (97.98% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.84% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”