GCC: ConsumerReports analysis finds EV owners spending half as much on maintenance compared to owners of gas veh.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/09/20200925-cr.html

$0.03/mile for BEV/PHEV vs. $0.06/mile for ICEs.

. . . Consumer Reports (CR) analyzed its 2019 and 2020 reliability survey data for many thousands of electric and gas-powered vehicles, and found that drivers of electric vehicles are saving an average of 50% on maintenance and repair over the life of a vehicle compared to owners of gas-powered vehicles. . . .

These findings on maintenance and repair costs are part of an upcoming white paper by Consumer Reports that compares costs of ownership for electric and gas-powered vehicles. The full white paper will be published in the coming weeks. For this report, ‘vehicle lifetime’ was defined as 200,000 miles. . . .

From GCR, same story:
. . . Perhaps even more surprising among CR’s findings is that plug-in hybrids cost less to maintain and repair than conventional gasoline vehicles—actually undercutting EVs in those costs after passing 100,000 miles. . . .

Consumer Reports doesn’t offer a reason for PHEVs’ advantage. Perhaps there is a sweet spot to be discussed in how the electrified components avoid wear to the traditional powertrain items—and, perhaps, extend the life of items like braking systems through regenerative braking. Or perhaps the repairs and maintenance simply cost more for EVs when needed. . . .

CR notes that its sample size of PHEVs and EVs with more than 100,000 miles was small—with the EVs mostly including early versions of the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S. With a total of 200 PHEV vehicles that have more than 100,000 miles, it also likely didn’t have a sample set that represented all the different layouts for these widely varied vehicles. . . .

Yeah my leaf runs for 2.3 cents per mile about 8 months out of the year. Electricity is cheap here.

Are tyres included in maintenance ? If so then EV maintenance on everything else is around one penny a mile for that study.

I know my LEAF has been quite spectacular in that respect. Over 4 years:
$400 -- tyres. They have 57k miles of warranty tread remaining.
$115 - 12v battery
$10 -- wiper inserts
$10 -- repair of chewed up by rodent windshield wiper tubing (should have been ~ $3 -- I lost a part)

I doubt any maintenance costs during the prior owner's lease period so $535 over ~ 7 years, and the major items will probably last until car end of life.

My Tesla Model 3 is also doing well, although it is only 2+ years old:
$50 -- Windshield repair deductible
$115 -- OEM upgrade of 2 (out of 4) USB ports to USB-C (27 watts per port)

Just tires, alignment and an oil change on my 2011 leaf.
But the air conditioning works when it wants to and I haven't gotten it fixed yet.
The factory ecopia tires went about 60,000 miles.

Oilpan4 said:
Yeah my leaf runs for 2.3 cents per mile about 8 months out of the year. Electricity is cheap here.

I think I have you beat, my display says 4.9 miles per kw and I'm paying. 3.9 cents per kwh. Plus a couple times a week I charge at work for free. I can't believe how cheap this car is to own. Had I'd known I've would of bought one sooner. Only thing I've done was the brake fluid , gearbox fluid , led upgrades and a 15 dollar headlight restore kit. Looking at what I posted I could of done none of this but I like to putz....

Steelcity said:
Oilpan4 said:

I think I have you beat, my display says 4.9 miles per kw and I'm paying. 3.9 cents per kwh. Plus a couple times a week I charge at work for free. I can't believe how cheap this car is to own. Had I'd known I've would of bought one sooner. Only thing I've done was the brake fluid , gearbox fluid , led upgrades and a 15 dollar headlight restore kit. Looking at what I posted I could of done none of this but I like to putz....
Nice, but while I lived in Colorado and was charging off my home PV I was paying about 0.5 cents a mile.
Now in NM, I'm using the grid so my EV running costs have jumped to ~ 2 cents a mile

One maintenance thing that gets me is not many people can handle or justify a battery replacement. When driving around some parts I can regularly see cars 20-30 years old, now sure they had spark plugs, large number of oil changes, belts, muffler and such but the dings were spread out over many years. While EV battery life has improved dramatically I think the range will be heavily reduced in 20 years. I guess people will just adjust and people with small budgets will only drive around town. I am just imagining this in combination with mandates like CA is proposing.

salyavin said:
One maintenance thing that gets me is not many people can handle or justify a battery replacement. When driving around some parts I can regularly see cars 20-30 years old, now sure they had spark plugs, large number of oil changes, belts, muffler and such but the dings were spread out over many years. While EV battery life has improved dramatically I think the range will be heavily reduced in 20 years. I guess people will just adjust and people with small budgets will only drive around town. I am just imagining this in combination with mandates like CA is proposing.
As battery sizes increase, reduced range will still be more than a new 2011 LEAF had.

I get 4.4 miles per kwh that because I tow stuff with my leaf.
Then in the winter with the resistance heat I was getting between 3.3 and 3.6 miles per kwh. With the addion of the diesel fired heater I get more like 3.8 to 4 miles per kwh.

it feels like most on this thread do much better than the 3.6 miles/kWh that the epa states.

Sage, do you find in local driving your M3 provides any better efficiency than your 13 Leaf?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sage, do you find in local driving your M3 provides any better efficiency than your 13 Leaf?
Quite similar
Low speeds, low power.

The LEAF is lighter but the Tesla has better (higher kW) regen so it balances out. I am usually a non-aggressive driver but the other day I drove my Tesla like a hormonally disturbed teenager, stomping on the go pedal when conditions allowed. Quite amazingly, I still managed 5 miles per kWh on the complete to and back trip. My 'scan my tesla' app (similar to LeafSpy but with a lot more information) showed 60% of energy pulled from the battery was recouped through regeneration.

WetEV said:
As battery sizes increase, reduced range will still be more than a new 2011 LEAF had.

You are right there. It would be quite a long time before my plus degrades to the 2011 range, the car may well be more than 20 years old by then.

Re the topic title, OTOH via GCC:
Analysis finds annual running cost of EVs less than ICE; but with purchase price factored in, it flips

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/10/20201009-self.html

Self Financial, a fintech company, has compared the running costs of electric and non-electric vehicles in each state. Across the US the average annual cost of running an electric vehicle is $2,721.96, while gasoline vehicles cost an average of $3,355.90 per year to run—a difference of $633.94 annually.

However, these annual costs don’t take into account the purchase cost of the vehicle itself and are purely the ‘running’ costs annually. When the purchase cost of each type of vehicle is factored in, average gasoline vehicles are $1,454 per year cheaper to run. EVs cost an average of $9,406 per year (including the purchase price) to run compared to $7,952 annually for gas vehicles (including the purchase price).

To remedy this purchase cost issue, many states across the US have introduced various incentive programs. In 21 of the 50 States there are cash, parking and rebate incentives to buy an electric vehicle.

While many of these incentives come with stipulations and clauses, the Self Financial study found that buyers could knock off as much as $700 from their annual purchase and running costs by using local and State incentives. . . .

Just to confuse things, also GCC:
Consumer Reports: most popular electric vehicles cost less to own than the best-selling gas-powered vehicles in their class

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/10/20201009-crev.html

Owning a plug-in electric vehicle today will save consumers thousands of dollars compared to owning a gas-powered vehicle, according to a new analysis by Consumer Reports comparing electrics to CR’s top-rated vehicles, as well as the best-selling, most efficient, and best-performing gasoline-powered vehicles on the market.

The analysis found lifetime ownership costs for the most popular EVs on the market under $50,000 are typically $6,000 to $10,000 less than the best gas-powered vehicles in their class (defined by vehicle style, size, interior volume, and cargo space). Tesla’s Model 3, the best selling EV on the market, delivered the biggest savings: at least $15,000 compared to both the BMW 330i (best selling) and Audi A4 (top rated).

The overall out-of-pocket-costs for many consumers who finance will be lower in their very first year of ownership, despite the fact that the upfront cost of electric vehicles remains higher today than their gas-powered counterparts.

Where the savings come from:

EV drivers are paying half as much to repair and maintain their vehicles—averaging $4,600 over the life of an EV.

EV owners are spending 60% less to power their vehicle with electricity instead of gasoline. Owners of EVs with a range of 250 miles or greater will be able to do 92% of their charging at home, needing only six stops at a public fast-charger per year.

Mainstream EVs, those with at least 200 miles of range or greater, are projected to hold their value as well as comparable gas-powered vehicles. New data obtained by CR from ALG, a data and analytics subsidiary of automotive pricing and information website TrueCar, shows that when adjusted for federal purchase incentives, both battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) are expected to depreciate at the same rate as ICE vehicles in the same class over the first five years of ownership.

Consumers in the market for a used vehicle, which make up 70% of car purchases, are poised to benefit significantly as they get access to these mainstream EVs over the coming years. Since previously-owned vehicles cost less upfront but have greater maintenance and repair costs, consumers in the market for a used vehicle are in line to pocket a significant portion of an EV’s overall lifetime savings potential, according to Consumer Reports.

Back