House Hearing - Deep Water Drilling Tech

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream4&hpt=T2

Whoa Buddy... There's a live deep-water drilling tech hearing in progress in D.C. Opening statements are in progress.

One gent, a tier-2 hardware supplier, confidently stated that the equipment is fine. A gent from the API opened with their 'why the API is good - watch me pat myself on the back' statement.

Then a gent from the University of Texas/Austin (evolved as primary training source for the oil industry) spoke on training:

"...Training is a critical component of this industry. As we drill deeper in more remote locations, the need for technology has become greater along with the need for training to apply technology safely and effectively. A trend that I have observed over my 40 years of experience is a shift from an investment-based industry to a more cost-focused business. Technology drives cost down. Unfortunately, training is looked at as a cost and not an investment. Without appropriate training, technology comes with risk. Today, training is down by over 25% from levels experienced in 2008. I would challenge the industry through their associations to have their
members step up and increase their funding for training. The American Petroleum Institute, the leader in setting standards in many places for the industry, should also be the leader in training standards..."

Very political so far...

Back