AndyH
Posts: 6388
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Grid-Scale battery storage: Lower capital cost than peaking natural gas plants

EoS Energy's zinc-air batteries also projected to provide electricity at $0.12-$0.17 per kWh

http://climatecrocks.com/2013/07/18/bar ... ngbusters/

http://climatecrocks.com/2013/07/20/mor ... batteries/

EoS Energy articles from CleanTechnica:
http://cleantechnica.com/tag/eos/

EoS Energy Storage presentation:
http://www.eosenergystorage.com/wp-cont ... -02-11.pdf
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

Reddy
Posts: 1544
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:07 am

Just found this interesting tidbit, no wonder the coal & nuclear industry are worried:
"Higher wind generation in the Southwest Power Pool is reducing use of baseload capacity"
http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=12831
Image
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

User avatar
DaveEV
Forum Supporter
Posts: 6239
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:40 pm

There's a good post on The Oil Drum on the effects of renewable energy development of the last decade or so:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/10227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting takeaway is that utilities in Germany are getting their profits killed on conventional generation because of all the solar on the grid which has drastically driven down peak electricity market prices.

The good news for renewables in the USA is that PV is expected to really take off in the USA in in the next couple years as the cost of PV electricity gets below grid parity in a wide range of states. Bad news for conventional power plants, which is why you see so many utilities fighting against distributed net-metering.

Reddy
Posts: 1544
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for the post, I'll give it a read. The interesting thing about my previous post, is that it's from EIA.gov, which is usually reports renewables in the least desirable light. And even in this case, one might conclude that they are saying something like "cutting into baseload with a variable resource is not a good idea."
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

WetEV
Posts: 3201
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:58 pm

drees wrote:...which is why you see so many utilities fighting against distributed net-metering.
Too simplistic.

Consider a case where the total load is entirely generated by solar. The utility company will get nothing. Will need to be paying for lines and storage of excess power during the day, and will be supplying power at night. All for free.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

AndyH
Posts: 6388
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:11 pm

WetEV wrote:
drees wrote:...which is why you see so many utilities fighting against distributed net-metering.
Too simplistic.

Consider a case where the total load is entirely generated by solar. The utility company will get nothing. Will need to be paying for lines and storage of excess power during the day, and will be supplying power at night. All for free.
Wet - the utility companies are still getting paid for the infrastructure - they pay a lower price for solar and sell at a profit. Not a chance in hell that the utility companies 'will get nothing' - they write the rules, after all, and they're not that inept.
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

WetEV
Posts: 3201
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:05 am

AndyH wrote:
WetEV wrote:
drees wrote:...which is why you see so many utilities fighting against distributed net-metering.
Too simplistic.

Consider a case where the total load is entirely generated by solar. The utility company will get nothing. Will need to be paying for lines and storage of excess power during the day, and will be supplying power at night. All for free.
Wet - the utility companies are still getting paid for the infrastructure - they pay a lower price for solar and sell at a profit. Not a chance in hell that the utility companies 'will get nothing' - they write the rules, after all, and they're not that inept.
So then you agree that net-metering is doomed, long term?
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

AndyH
Posts: 6388
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 pm

WetEV wrote:So then you agree that net-metering is doomed, long term?
{facepalm}

The federal government is the largest owner of electricity generating capacity and owns significant transmission assets in the United States.
http://www.gao.gov/key_issues/federal_o ... ue_summary
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

klapauzius
Posts: 1658
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 pm

WetEV wrote:
drees wrote:...which is why you see so many utilities fighting against distributed net-metering.
Too simplistic.

Consider a case where the total load is entirely generated by solar. The utility company will get nothing. Will need to be paying for lines and storage of excess power during the day, and will be supplying power at night. All for free.
Last time I checked my utility bill, there was a base charge, which is the same year around, even though during summer, I produce a daily electricity net surplus. I assume that base charge is meant to cover lines etc?

I am not aware that utilities can store excess power, unless they have a big water reservoir somewhere that they can pump up. Not sure though if that maybe is the norm for US utilities?

smkettner
Posts: 7379
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: World Energy Use - There's No Tomorrow - Let's Fix This!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 pm

AndyH wrote:
The federal government is the largest owner of electricity generating capacity and owns significant transmission assets in the United States.
http://www.gao.gov/key_issues/federal_o ... ue_summary
This is one area where I think a federal acquisition or take over would be good for the economy.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”