evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Re: Does the Leaf appeal to conservatives?

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:06 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:While I consider myself a conservative I think RL is unenlightened on a number of subjects.
I was talking about Rush's drug addiction.
BS. Gore uses geothermal.

BTW, I saw this stupid criticism about the climate summit - that they came flying. How do you expect them to come - swimming across the ocean ? Climate summit was a disaster not because they came flying - but because they didn't achieve anything.

ps : I'm more interested in the policies of politicians than what they drive around in. What is the point of being kind to a neighbour's child if your policies killed 100s of thousands ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:55 pm

evnow wrote: BTW, I saw this stupid criticism about the climate summit - that they came flying. How do you expect them to come - swimming across the ocean ?
If they're so goddamn concerned, I would expect them to set an example. Private jet aircraft travel has the be the most egregious example of a fossil fuel wasting carbon spewing activity there is. On two occasions I have been on commercial flights with ex-presidents on board. Anyone who was truly concerned wouldn't go near a private jet. Period.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

AndyH

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for sharing about the jets. The aviation industry has gotten a lot cleaner as well - the small jets are quite efficient.

I know we can have an adult conversation about the subject without resorting to personal attacks on some of the players. Let those that have never flown cast the first tofu clod? ;)

Notice that evnow's question still isn't answered. Maybe the climate summits should be via teleconference? If so, who should pay to run fiber to the countries without internet access so that all can be represented?

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:45 pm

AndyH wrote:Thanks for sharing about the jets. The aviation industry has gotten a lot cleaner as well - the small jets are quite efficient.

I know we can have an adult conversation about the subject without resorting to personal attacks on some of the players. Let those that have never flown cast the first tofu clod? ;)

Notice that evnow's question still isn't answered. Maybe the climate summits should be via teleconference? If so, who should pay to run fiber to the countries without internet access so that all can be represented?
I assume you are referring to the question about how the delegation should have traveled. I would have expected them to fly commercial, which according to this little chart is 1/5 the impact of the efficient small jets:

Concorde fuel efficiency comparison
Aircraft Concorde[18] Gulfstream G550 business jet Boeing 747-400[19]
passenger miles/imperial gallon 17 19 109
passenger miles/US gallon 14 16 91
litres/passenger 100 km 16.6 14.8 2.6

I didn't attack anyone personally, just their actions, and perhaps their motives.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

AndyH

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:50 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
AndyH wrote:Thanks for sharing about the jets. The aviation industry has gotten a lot cleaner as well - the small jets are quite efficient.

I assume you are referring to the question about how the delegation should have traveled. I would have expected them to fly commercial, which according to this little chart is 1/5 the impact of the efficient small jets:

Concorde fuel efficiency comparison
Aircraft Concorde[18] Gulfstream G550 business jet Boeing 747-400[19]
passenger miles/imperial gallon 17 19 109
passenger miles/US gallon 14 16 91
litres/passenger 100 km 16.6 14.8 2.6

I didn't attack anyone personally, just their actions, and perhaps their motives.
You're right - you didn't attack personally. Just expressing that I know we can have this chat without chasing anyone away.

Ultimately, the folks doing the flying are closest to the needs of the trip. I wasn't there so cannot judge their travel plans. I'm not as concerned, though, as hopefully the process will result in saving much more than just a few jet rides.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:11 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:If they're so goddamn concerned, I would expect them to set an example.
That is like saying anyone claiming to be Christian should live exactly like Jesus did (or atleast follow all the edicts laid out in the bible).

It is also a way to complete ignore the message & focus on the trivialities like our MSM always does. Everything is a game for them.

ps : Here is a trivia from another age. Gandhi was the master of living as he preached - giving up everything includes most of his clothes. He used to insist on traveling "second class" in trains. The British Raj had to get special second class coaches for him - for security reasons, I guess. He was teased about it too -"do you know how much it costs to keep you poor" ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

AndyH

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Full words when introducing acronyms? ;) What's an MSM? Hmmm...mainstream media?

Our media is a business that makes money selling ads. Their price goes up when more people watch. More people watch when they're afraid and that's why the media ignores the 99.9998% of the news that's positive and neutral to bring us the worst of the negative. As such it's useless for supplying meaningful news and keeps us constantly off-center.

Want to see how pervasive marketing and fear are? Dump the TV and radio for a year.

I fear that most of the anti-EV noise on forums and in the press aren't because the messenger really dislikes EVs but because they've accepted the message from their peers. The status quo yells much louder than we do.

sjfotos
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 am

Dav wrote:But how can you extend that to the Leaf?

The question is how do conservatives feel about the Leaf,
not how do they feel about the Leaf subsidy.

I approve of the Leaf, not of the subsidy. I'm waaay far right.
I think that is a very fair point to make. However, I do not think that the Leaf would have sufficient uptake without the subsidy. In any event, we will hopefully never know the answer to that question as the Leaf gains traction (pun intended).
Forum Supporter

Steve in PA
Reserved 4/20/2010, Forgotten in Pennsylvania

sjfotos
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:20 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
evnow wrote: BTW, I saw this stupid criticism about the climate summit - that they came flying. How do you expect them to come - swimming across the ocean ?
If they're so goddamn concerned, I would expect them to set an example. Private jet aircraft travel has the be the most egregious example of a fossil fuel wasting carbon spewing activity there is. On two occasions I have been on commercial flights with ex-presidents on board. Anyone who was truly concerned wouldn't go near a private jet. Period.

Ah, private jets.

Sigh

I have to say, they are DAMN nice. lol

Sorry, I don't intend to start a post war on the relative merits of all the players. People have their convictions and data is always the servant of the purveyor in the social science arena.

I have no reason to doubt that a Gulfstream consumes more fuel per passenger mile than a 737.

Also, I sure wish I had been able to take more flights on a Gulfstream!! Yeah, I may be green, but sitting in a spacious cabin without some kid kicking the back of your seat for three hours is a treat :)
Forum Supporter

Steve in PA
Reserved 4/20/2010, Forgotten in Pennsylvania

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:41 am

sjfotos wrote: Also, I sure wish I had been able to take more flights on a Gulfstream!! Yeah, I may be green, but sitting in a spacious cabin without some kid kicking the back of your seat for three hours is a treat :)
I'm sure it was. (/jealousy off)

But where is the greater evil? Riding in a jet that has very low passenger miles/gallon of gas, or a parent letting their child misbehave by kicking your chair? :lol:
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

Return to “Business / Economy and Politics”