CHAdeMO bi-directional

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be interested if the power specifications meet my needs. Is the output 3-wire 120/240 volts, 240 volts only, or 120 volts only. I trust that it is a true sine wave inverter, correct? What is the capacity in kW?

powersurge said:
$4000 for a power inverter?

I cannot see this as mass produced product.

I can go to Harbor Freight and get a $50 1500 watt inverter for my 12 volt battery on the leaf..

may not last for weeks, but days?

Limited market which could change rapidly if we get the right forces moving the proper direction. Its like the $500 VCR, enough demand and the price will drop. I think as coal drops off with NG to follow, having this kind of option might be more attractive.

I've learned that Nissan will void the battery warranty on vehicles that are being used for power export. Obviously they can't tell on the 12V side. No idea if the BMS logs V2G/H sessions. I believe Nissan is working on a certification spec for under 10kW so you can do V2H while still keeping the battery warranty intact.

That said, Princeton Power went out of business last year (they did the hardware for the V2G trials at LAAFB), so your current options are the Setec or up-and-coming Wallbox. :| In Japan they have a few other options, but all of them are very pricy.

JeremyW said:
I've learned that Nissan will void the battery warranty on vehicles that are being used for power export. Obviously they can't tell on the 12V side. No idea if the BMS logs V2G/H sessions. I believe Nissan is working on a certification spec for under 10kW so you can do V2H while still keeping the battery warranty intact.

That said, Princeton Power went out of business last year (they did the hardware for the V2G trials at LAAFB), so your current options are the Setec or up-and-coming Wallbox. :| In Japan they have a few other options, but all of them are very pricy.

That's what I figured.
Got a link to a story?

Co-worker w/an (ICE) DeLorean told me about the virtual meets they do now. He told me about an EV conversion of one in Japan.

I've only had a chance to watch part of https://youtu.be/ZuCkvbwm4cs, so far on it. It has a CHAdeMO inlet and can do 2-way power, as he shows at ~3:31. At ~2:50, he starts talking about CHAdeMO on his car.

The PeugotRenaultVolvo V-6 that was OEM wasn't great, but I hope he manages to get a better than 25kw motor into it eventually! I'm guessing that he kept the transmission to help make up the power deficit. If ever there was an ICE car that should have been an EV from the start, though, it's the DeLorean...

I now have captured the details on the 0x200 V2X messages that are present on 2013+ AZE0 LEAFs. This should help during development of DIY solutions: https://github.com/dalathegreat/leaf_can_bus_messages/commit/f8977303ebf971f38b6049e208f02116d1030c00

Dala said:
I now have captured the details on the 0x200 V2X messages that are present on 2013+ AZE0 LEAFs. This should help during development of DIY solutions: https://github.com/dalathegreat/leaf_can_bus_messages/commit/f8977303ebf971f38b6049e208f02116d1030c00

Attached is the V2X section of my 2021 Leaf's manual. Not much description, but alludes to an "option" of V2X. Is it possible that there is a correlation between this "option" and inclusion of these messages in the new Leaf's programming? I'm hoping to hear back from the US rep that handles V2X questions - but have my doubts I'll learn much!

Leaf V2X ops manual 01.jpg

Marktm said:
Dala said:

Attached is the V2X section of my 2021 Leaf's manual. Not much description, but alludes to an "option" of V2X. Is it possible that there is a correlation between this "option" and inclusion of these messages in the new Leaf's programming? I'm hoping to hear back from the US rep that handles V2X questions - but have my doubts I'll learn much!

Leaf V2X ops manual 01.jpg

All 2013+ LEAFs are capable of V2X. It is just the ZE0 2011-2012 version that is only Chademo v0.9 compatible, this one needs a VCM update in order to support V2X.

Depending on your LEAF generation, they allow different amounts of discharge. Here's some data I've found for minimum SOC:
2013-2017 LEAF, 62%
2018+ LEAF, 7%
eNV200, 77%

So Nissan definately allows for a more usable V2X solution on the ZE1 models!

Dala said:
All 2013+ LEAFs are capable of V2X. It is just the ZE0 2011-2012 version that is only Chademo v0.9 compatible, this one needs a VCM update in order to support V2X.

Depending on your LEAF generation, they allow different amounts of discharge. Here's some data I've found for minimum SOC:
2013-2017 LEAF, 62%
2018+ LEAF, 7%
eNV200, 77%

So Nissan definately allows for a more usable V2X solution on the ZE1 models!

Great info. Is the 2018+ really limited to 7% or is that a typo?

Thanks Dala and coulomb.
Trying not to be too repetitive, but has anyone found a "commercial"offering of a CHAdeMO bidirectional based solar power converter system - similar to what dcbel claims to offer. I had hopes that Pika would offer a CHAdeMO communications package with their system as their DC bus design seemed like a natural, but then they were bought out by Generac - no interest in such a specialized market.

Actually, a Chademo-based bidirectional system would be direct competition to the crap home generators that Generac offers, so it's no surprise that they don't want to develop it.

Russell,

The USAF project summary says The software change consisted of upgrades to three systems: 1) lithium battery controller; 2) on-board charger; and 3) vehicle control module. The technicians who visited the Base used re-programming tools to make the upgrades. The process took about one hour per vehicle.

We’re these done with CONSULT? Would a dealer be able to enable this functionality if Nissan US would allow?

From the UK bidirectional charging perspective in 2023,the solar PV storage market is tapping into using bidirectional chargers partly to use an existing battery and partly to buy in low cost energy and sell it back to the grid.
As Dala has shown, a nissan leaf battery can be used directly with a solar PV hybrid inverter, the BMS needs to be flashed to give the batteries parameters.
This would be useful for a
battery storage solution if the battery was trailer mounted.
Would a hybrid solar inverter ( say a Victron 8 kWh hybrid) be able to manage a Nissan leaf or EVN200, directly plugged into it?; if so, which BMS would control the charging of the battery and release of energy to the house when required ( at times of low energy cost) would there be a software fix to set a hierarchy of one BMS over the other?. Sorry if this issue has already been covered.

Back