gsleaf
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 am

After looking at the Model S I had the following question... How is it that the Tesla can have enough free space that it has a trunk in the back and front, but the Leaf has a whole engine compartment full of stuff up front?

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14959
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 am

it is a MUCH larger car
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gsleaf
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 am

Ahh, that makes sense. I guess I hadn't realized that for some reason. The Leaf feels so much roomier inside.

palmermd
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:42 am

Image

its the only picture I could find with them side by side. Wish it was a better angle, but you can see the width difference and if you look closely you can see the length difference as well.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996


Leaf Bar Loss

Zythryn
Posts: 1123
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 am

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:31 am

gsleaf wrote:Ahh, that makes sense. I guess I hadn't realized that for some reason. The Leaf feels so much roomier inside.
Roomier on the inside than the Model S??
While I have had the opportunity to sit in a Leaf, but not yet a Model S, I find it hard to believe that I am reading your post correctly.

As for the huge amount of cargo capacity, the Model S uses a 'skateboard' design for the batteries. The battery pack is built along the bottom of the car. This provides a number of advantages, one of which is more cargo room.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

gsleaf
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:37 am

Zythryn wrote:Roomier on the inside than the Model S??
While I have had the opportunity to sit in a Leaf, but not yet a Model S, I find it hard to believe that I am reading your post correctly.
I only sat in the front drivers side for about 40 seconds, but that was my impression. I may have to try it again sometime and see if my impression changes.

User avatar
LTLFTcomposite
Posts: 4780
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Central FL

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:54 am

palmermd wrote: its the only picture I could find with them side by side. Wish it was a better angle, but you can see the width difference and if you look closely you can see the length difference as well.
OT from this thread but that picture reminded me of something I've been wondering about, is the stage being set for people to bitch about charging cables being a tripping hazard? And along come the lawyers...
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

garsh
Posts: 1173
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 pm

The motor in the Leaf is located pretty low:
Image
Nissan put the control electronics on top of it, and that's what looks like the big "engine" in the front bay.

I can't help but think they could have packaged those electronics better to give us a little bit of storage up front.
2012 Black SV, bought 2012-04-04, sold 2019-05-10. 7 bars, 101,850 miles.
Current rides: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2018 Chevrolet Volt LT

Herm
Posts: 3765
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Timbuktu, Mali

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Better design.

The S is designed from the ground up as an electric.. the motor and inverter are on the rear axle and so on.. the Leaf is based on existing Nissan cars and their parts bin, plus its designed to be built in a conventional assembly line.. motor/inverter in the front, batteries in the gas tank area etc.. an interesting thing about the Leaf is that they did not put the charger under the hood, apparently they had no room!

gsleaf
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Leaf vs. Tesla

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Herm wrote:Better design.

The S is designed from the ground up as an electric.. the motor and inverter are on the rear axle and so on.. the Leaf is based on existing Nissan cars and their parts bin, plus its designed to be built in a conventional assembly line.. motor/inverter in the front, batteries in the gas tank area etc.. an interesting thing about the Leaf is that they did not put the charger under the hood, apparently they had no room!
Isn't the charger near the rear? I heard it was in the back because they were originally planning for wireless charging. No idea if that's true or not.

I'm not really complaining about this, I was just curious. My biggest gripe about the Leaf is that it doesn't have a change drawer up front to put pens, membership cards, etc. in.

Return to “Engineering”