Electric Power Steering

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLeaf

I seem to recall this having come up as a question in this forum and it appears we might now have an answer:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1009_2011_nissan_leaf_second_opinion/index.html

Not sure if this is a definitive answer (wouldn't be the first time an all-knowing moto-journalist was wrong), but atleast it's from a semi-reputable source. Asides from this little nugget of info, the article is a bit interesting as it sounds like they got to push the car a bit more than the typical review-writer. I am curious, however, about the mention of the charge controller being located behind the rear seats; doesn't this put it a bit far away from the front electrical connections and the connectors for the battery pack (also located at the front, according to the pictures I've seen)?

Yes, electric power steering.

The 3.3 kW charger only needs 15 (or 16) amps going to it,
so a little wire "distance" is not very important.

Question is, how does one open that transverse "hump" just
behind the rear seat to access/see the L1/L2 charger?

There are different types of EPS, some are full and some assist off the steering shaft, I have driven the latter and it feels amazing and very connected. Since I have read several articles that say the steering is very easy this indicates it is over done for the american market which is unfortunate and you don't need power steering to be that easy unless you are very old. There are several items on the Leaf they made too car like such as regen and steering to make people feel like its a normal car which sometimes means a bit bland. EPS should be speed sensitive and taught with good feedback, some are done well and some overdone. I'm going to drive the Leaf in LA on the 1st so it should be interesting to see how it compares to others.

Nissan is already using electric asst. on versa and sentra and it is speed sensitive. Motor and control module mounted on steering column.

Many know this, but a few might not:

Very Light means a "strong" assist, feeling like very little effort is required to move the wheel.

Although "light" steering can help make turning the wheel while parking much easier, it tends to remove the "road feel" from steering.

When a car's wheels (tires) are "pulled" to the left or right, by uneven road surfaces, ruts, groves, etc., the driver can normally feel the steering wheel try to twist in his grip. This gives the driver better feedback and a stronger feeling of being "connected to" (being aware of) the road conditions. Thus, one has a greater feeling of "driving" and being the one who controls the car's motion and steering, rather than just riding in a robot-controlled vehicle.

mwalsh said:
wgs1912 said:
Nissan is already using electric asst. on versa and sentra and it is speed sensitive.

Hopefully that means it'll get heavier on the Leaf at high speeds? It really is VERY light at low speed.

I thought almost everyone had variable power steering nowadays; very light at low speeds, but at highway speeds, it's basically manual steering to allow for 'road feel'. I'm expecting the same in the Leaf.

It turns off all asst. at higher speeds unless it sees a rapid change in steering angle and has full asst. in parking lot manuvers.

wgs1912 said:
It turns off all asst. at higher speeds unless it sees a rapid change in steering angle and has full asst. in parking lot manuvers.

Yes, that is what people doing test drives are reporting.

BTW, are you in some way an insider in the auto industry (dealer or connected with Nissan) ? You can PM me if you don't want to post it in public.

wgs1912 said:
Nissan is already using electric asst. on versa and sentra and it is speed sensitive. Motor and control module mounted on steering column.

Same as Toyota most likely with a torque sensor on the column that dictates assist as well as a link to the speed sensor to reduce assist at a higher speed. I have "hacked" into one of these ECU units before, the motors are very efficient and use only a couple amps at times. The Toyota EPS on the Yaris has a nice tight feel at freeway speeds and feels much more European than American cars, I hop the Nissan is similar.

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
When are you likely to be scheduled to go to LEAF-training?

I thought the techs were already to have had at least some training....the Intro to EV Tech course? Then they've got a 4-day Diagnostic and Repair course some time between now and December.

yes I have done intro to ev course it was more a saftey course than anything else. no word as yet when hands on course will be. from what i hear they will be launching in different regions at different times in the south east where i live will be the last i think.(proabally jan. or feb.) some of you will probally have your leaf before we get one at my dealership. that is one reason i joined because informed buyers like you all usally know more than alot of sales people and techs. alot of the info i have is in nissan in general until i go to the hands on course. any info i get i will try to pass on. i am certified on the hybrid altima even though they were not even sold in our area.

EVDRIVER said:
Anyone here own a mini cooper or did own one? Some EPS feels similar.

MINI E has a lot more road feel (less boost). For me the LEAF seems over boosted at slow speeds. But it is a preference. This could be to minimize torque steer in variable traction conditions (which can be a hand full in the MINI). A nod to the mass market nature of the car. My wife said she preferred the steering feel in the LEAF to the MINI after her test drive. Since all this is software these days it would be nice to be able to vary some of these parameters, or select say a "Sport" setting that decreases the steering boost for more road feel.

KeiJidosha said:
Since all this is software these days it would be nice to be able to vary some of these parameters, or select say a "Sport" setting that decreases the steering boost for more road feel.
Yes - one of these days on the date of delivery they will let you personalize a bunch of these parameters.

Back