WetEV
Posts: 3364
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Temperature Bar data collection

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm somewhat confused about the meaning of the temperature bars.

The Wiki isn't much help: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... ture_Gauge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now that people have OBD scan tools that can read out the temperature sensor, I would like to see if we can get enough data to update the Wiki.

What I would like you to do is to post TB and temperature sensor readings as replies to this. Once we get enough replies, we can plot them and see what we learn.
Might want to note if you have significant capacity loss, as there is speculation that might affect Temperature Bar readout as well. Amp hours suggested. F or C, I don't care.

Sample replies (ok, real data from my car)

TB Battery temperatures
5 64F 64F 63F 63F

TB Battery temperatures
5 18C 18C 17C 17C

(66 Ah)
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6242
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:39 am

58.18 Ah
5 TB 76.7 77.1 74.4 74.6

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:53 am

WetEV wrote:I'm somewhat confused about the meaning of the temperature bars.
We all are!
WetEV wrote:Might want to note if you have significant capacity loss, as there is speculation that might affect Temperature Bar readout as well.
It's more than mere speculation. Nissan printed the following notes in the service manual for the 2011 LEAF next to the graph containing the data you find in the Wiki:
2011 LEAF Service Manual, Revision: 2011 April, Page MWI-21 wrote:Note:
- Li-ion battery temperature gauge displays Li-ion battery temperature by correcting it according to the battery capacity. Consequently, the number of lighting segments of Li-ion battery temperature gauge can be different regardless of the same Li-ion battery temperature.
- This graph shows corrected temperatures. These do not agree with the CONSULT temperature shown in data monitor item "BATT TEMP".
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GregH
Posts: 860
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 26967
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:56 am

Usually I see the 6th temp bar pop on right when the max temp goes from 24.9 to 25 degrees... but not always.

Looking at the service manuals for 2011, 2012 and 2013 it looks like
T1 is in the back of the rear pack, dead center.
T2 is on the top/outer/right side of the front right module stack (ie, under the passenger seat)
T3 (only on 2011/12) is right side, back corner of the rear pack.
T4 (on 2013) is right side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under right rear passenger's feet.
T4 (on 2011/12) is left side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under left rear passenger's feet

Can anyone double check that?
'17 blue Volt Premier w/ACC
'12 SL black Leaf
'11 SL blue Leaf
RAV4-EV 2002-2005
Gen1 & Gen2 EV1 1997-2003
PV 2.4Kw, 10kWh lithium battery SCE TOU-DA

Stoaty
Posts: 4490
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 am

GregH wrote:Usually I see the 6th temp bar pop on right when the max temp goes from 24.9 to 25 degrees... but not always.
A couple of days ago I saw the exact moment when the 6th temp bar came on; the minimum temp was 77.3 (probably just passed 77) and maximum was around 78.8 (don't recall exact number). So I agree on 77 degrees, but for me it was triggered when the minimum temp sensor reached that reading, not the maximum.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6242
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 am

Stoaty wrote:
GregH wrote:Usually I see the 6th temp bar pop on right when the max temp goes from 24.9 to 25 degrees... but not always.
A couple of days ago I saw the exact moment when the 6th temp bar came on; the minimum temp was 77.3 (probably just passed 77) and maximum was around 78.8 (don't recall exact number). So I agree on 77 degrees, but for me it was triggered when the minimum temp sensor reached that reading, not the maximum.
I've seen 6 bars with a min pack temp below 77 degrees but above 76 degrees. If people could collect actual sensor readouts from just below/above 6-bar threshold it would be useful... Lately my car has been at 5 TB, have been waiting for the transition but haven't seen it for a few weeks.

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm

7 TBs/99, 99, 100 (all rounded)
61 AH
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

LEAFfan
Posts: 4828
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:30 pm

GregH wrote:Usually I see the 6th temp bar pop on right when the max temp goes from 24.9 to 25 degrees... but not always.

Looking at the service manuals for 2011, 2012 and 2013 it looks like
T1 is in the back of the rear pack, dead center.
T2 is on the top/outer/right side of the front right module stack (ie, under the passenger seat)
T3 (only on 2011/12) is right side, back corner of the rear pack.
T4 (on 2013) is right side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under right rear passenger's feet.
T4 (on 2011/12) is left side middle (short stack) outside edge.. under left rear passenger's feet

Can anyone double check that?
This is absolutely correct. Well done!
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

User avatar
Stanton
Forum Supporter
Posts: 2157
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 pm

LEAFfan wrote:7 TBs/99, 99, 100 (all rounded)
61 AH
For the record, what's the official cutoff/threshold for the TB#7? Is it 98?
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10091
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Temperature Bar data collection

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:41 pm

drees wrote:
Stoaty wrote:
GregH wrote:Usually I see the 6th temp bar pop on right when the max temp goes from 24.9 to 25 degrees... but not always.
A couple of days ago I saw the exact moment when the 6th temp bar came on; the minimum temp was 77.3 (probably just passed 77) and maximum was around 78.8 (don't recall exact number). So I agree on 77 degrees, but for me it was triggered when the minimum temp sensor reached that reading, not the maximum.
I've seen 6 bars with a min pack temp below 77 degrees but above 76 degrees. If people could collect actual sensor readouts from just below/above 6-bar threshold it would be useful... Lately my car has been at 5 TB, have been waiting for the transition but haven't seen it for a few weeks.
You guys all realize that the threshold data is metric, right? So 25C makes sense from 5 to 6 bars.

Return to “Engineering”