Roadster HPWC adapter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Computerizer

Is it possible to buy or make an adapter so that I could connect my LEAFs to a Tesla Roadster HPWC? There's one in a PERFECT place, which is never in use (since basically nobody has a Roadster), that would be really nice if I could plug in to from time to time.

At the events center?

I believe the Amphenol connector is the big problem. Tesla markets an adapter to use the Roadster HPC with the Tesla Model S - $650.00.

Basically you'd have to chop off the Tesla "nozzle" and put on a J-plug. The only way to make an adapter would be to use a Tesla inlet, and Tesla is not willing to make these available for sale. Granted, I've looked into this more trying to find a Model S inlet, so maybe you'd have a bit more luck trying to get a Roadster inlet. Your best bet would probably be to salvage one from a totaled Roadster, if you can find one.

First, the Roadster uses an "HPC" which is 208-240 volts at 70 amp Clipper Creek EVSE, and the Tesla Model S uses a "HPWC" which is made in house and is 208-240v at 80 amps.

I built one with an HPC to Model S plug adapter. I bought this new but unused for $500. The J1772 handle (I used a Yazaki premium quality one) probably seeks for about $200+ each.

Works great at 40 amps in the Rav4 EV. I would be nervous at 70-80 amps with the J1772.

Computerizer said:
TonyWilliams said:
I would be nervous at 70-80 amps with the J1772.

Doesn't the J1772 protocol have amperage negotiation between the car and the EVSE, so it would only supply what the car asks for?

- Tyrel

Yes, it does. What does that have to do with operating at 70-80 amps making me nervous?

Computerizer said:
Doesn't the J1772 protocol have amperage negotiation between the car and the EVSE, so it would only supply what the car asks for?

- Tyrel
You have it reversed. The car does *not* ask for a particular amount of amps. The EVSE tells the car how many amps it can supply and the car may not draw more than that number of amps. The car ultimately decides how much current to draw equal to or less than the maximum it is told. This "decision" is influenced by a number of factors, including (but not limited to) user adjustment (available in very few EVs), temperature or SOC limits, OBC (on-board charger) limits (e.g. 3.3kW), supply voltage, etc.

Back