lne937s

Aftermarket hack and "chip"?

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Based on recent articles, the highway-capable Renault electric vehicles all use the same electric motor with the same 226 Nm of torque, but they use different levels of optimization to get between 70hp in the Kangoo to 150hp in the Dezir. From the few specs we have available, it seems the LEAF batteries are capable of far more output than how they are used.

As the LEAF uses a similar designed motor but has 280 Nm of torque (rather than 226 Nm for Renault), you could hypothetically get 186 horsepower with the same utilization as the Dezir. Maybe you would also need a new reduction gear to get the most out of it, but it seems like there is a lot of potential to adjust the software.

Also, it seems like a lot of people would like to change the electronically controlled steering boost levels. Also, some hypermilers might be willing to sacrifice some refinement for more regen and range. Maybe you could have a reprogram to make a much larger jump from eco to sport...

Much of this is supposition, but we could see some aftermarket hacks, or maybe Nissan could offer some software upgrades...

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Re: Aftermarket hack and "chip"?

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Sounds good! It's a digital car so I would not be surprised if someone comes up with an App for that. Digital Tuner for your iPhone/Android. I like it!
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm

TRONZ wrote:Sounds good! It's a digital car so I would not be surprised if someone comes up with an App for that. Digital Tuner for your iPhone/Android. I like it!
How about a reverse hack?

16 year old son: "Dad, can I borrow the Leaf tonight. I'm only going to school and back for the game!"

Father: "Sure, son, one sec (accessing iPhone "Leaf Max Speed" ap and sets the max speed of the car to 45mph). Here are the keys, son. Enjoy!"
:twisted:
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

EVDRIVER

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:24 pm

I thought there was a spec of 90kw form the pack. That leave 10kw headroom for accessories. Making such changes is alway s just software although that is not the tough part, there are issues with cooling the motor an inverter and the max output of the inverter as well. It is difficult to comment on this without knowing the exact specs of all the components. The reset is tweaks to the software if the parts are capable.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

I don't expect any hacking. Do you really want to play with the battery warranty ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

lne937s

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I thought there was a spec of 90kw form the pack. That leave 10kw headroom for accessories. Making such changes is alway s just software although that is not the tough part, there are issues with cooling the motor an inverter and the max output of the inverter as well. It is difficult to comment on this without knowing the exact specs of all the components. The reset is tweaks to the software if the parts are capable.
They say "over 90kW" from the battery, but the the power density indicates that the "over" is MUCH higher. Chances are that "90" is just what the current output level regulated by the current electronics settings (80kW for the motor and up to 10kW for accessories).
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1311

The LEAF is the same battery size using the same cells as the 150hp Dezir, so it should definitely be capable of at least that much. I would also anticipate fewer thermal issues from the widely spread-out flat air-cooled configuration than the tightly-packed vertical air-cooled configuration of the Renault.

lne937s

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:24 pm

evnow wrote:I don't expect any hacking. Do you really want to play with the battery warranty ?
You or I may not be willing to void the warranty on a new car, but people do it all the time (and on much more expensive cars).... and it won't be on warranty forever.

There is also the potential that Nissan may even offer some mild software upgrades that would not void the warranty... like NISMO upgrades-- the EV equivalent of the dealer-installed superchargers Toyota offered on Scions. A mild software change to make the car noticeably more responsive and less soft (or slightly less refined) would potentially cause little additional mechanical strain but create virtually pure profit for the upgrade...

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:33 pm

lne937s wrote:You or I may not be willing to void the warranty on a new car, but people do it all the time (and on much more expensive cars).... and it won't be on warranty forever.
True - what I meant was modifications on a large scale (like it might happen in the computer world).
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:50 pm

I've told people that the electric car will truly have arrived once enough of them have lived past their warranty and people start "hot-rodding" them. And when hopped-up EVs start blowing away hopped-up ICEs from stoplights, well then....

Sure, things can be pushed harder. Electric vehicles are already racing and they push things to the edge, just like any racing vehicle. And of course, durability and safety expectations are a lot different in those applications. With due respect for safety, no doubt there will be "mods". Some reckless, some helpful, some fun, some in-between.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

lne937s

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:24 am

Another thought about modding:

Unlike gasoline cars, a major barrier to making modifications is eliminated- no emission means no emissions certification and testing and no need to worry about restrictions on modifying car's emissions systems.

As long as there are no durability issues, Nissan could approve alternative software settings for people who want more power but are less concerned with range... You could potentially still have eco mode, and just make "drive" more aggressive. Or maybe add a 3rd mode to the two current ones. Maybe have a safety setting that automatically switches to eco mode when the temperature gets more than 1/2-2/3 up. Or have a sport mode with the same range as "drive", but more responsive accellerator settings, less traction control intervention, HVAC and major accessories turned completely off, virtually no assist on the steering... with all the now available additional electricity going to power the wheels...

Anyway, the point being that with a software-controlled overbuilt electronic drivetrain, their seems to be a lot of potential to modify or adapt to the specific desires of the driver (and potentially switch back) with little or no physical changes...

Return to “Engineering”