gudy
Delivery Date: 20 May 2011

Re: Aftermarket hack and "chip"?

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:39 am

I'm not sure how people have reverse engineered the injection logic for ICE cars, to get a boost of performance, but I would not expect a lot of hacks to come out anytime soon, because the "hack" market is going to be so small initially.
You still need to make changes, and recompile code that is compatible with all the other elements in the car, not easy without any source code. I would even argue that as more modules are integrated together (battery control , motor control, ac control, navigation), it makes it harder to hack one, compared to an ICE car where the module responsible for the injection doesn't need to know much about the tank capacity, or the AC setting.

Finally, you can't do everything in software. Batteries, battery management system, wires, inverter, motor have been designed for some specific current, and increasing that current may or not be possible with the current hardware. The same motor can come with different windings for example (you can trade torque for speed), while it may sound like you have the same power output, at full stop, the current draw will be very different. Change the mass / wheel size of the vehicle, and a faster electrical motor will be fine and won't draw too much current, but put it on a heavier vehicle, and you'll just melt the wires.
1st Leaf Order (order made and confirmed on 08/31 10:40am)
Delivered on December 11th 2010
15000 miles so far

EVDRIVER

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:37 pm

gudy wrote:I'm not sure how people have reverse engineered the injection logic for ICE cars, to get a boost of performance, but I would not expect a lot of hacks to come out anytime soon, because the "hack" market is going to be so small initially.
You still need to make changes, and recompile code that is compatible with all the other elements in the car, not easy without any source code. I would even argue that as more modules are integrated together (battery control , motor control, ac control, navigation), it makes it harder to hack one, compared to an ICE car where the module responsible for the injection doesn't need to know much about the tank capacity, or the AC setting.

Finally, you can't do everything in software. Batteries, battery management system, wires, inverter, motor have been designed for some specific current, and increasing that current may or not be possible with the current hardware. The same motor can come with different windings for example (you can trade torque for speed), while it may sound like you have the same power output, at full stop, the current draw will be very different. Change the mass / wheel size of the vehicle, and a faster electrical motor will be fine and won't draw too much current, but put it on a heavier vehicle, and you'll just melt the wires.

It may be quite simple if the motor/inverter/pack can handle more output for other vehicles and cooling is sufficient then they software may have parameter settings that can be increased. I have done this on a Think in the Siemens inverter and I am extremely confident the regen can be altered buy a dealer tech. Doing code mods on a Leaf inverter would be pointless, AC inverter software is VERY complex and it would not be worth doing this in a car like the leaf, changing parameters with a service tool is not as big of a deal and may be there to tweak, surely there are settings that can be modified since EVERY advanced EV inverter has them. So do the chargers via RS232 or the CAN BUS with a service tool, done this on an EV as well. The leaf is not going to be a performance car with it's motor and weight so it's silly to try and get more power unless the effort is minimal. I would be more interested in regen changes which can be a big benefit for some drivers.

nader
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011
Leaf Number: 1925

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:34 am

I would interested in not only throttle recalibration and varying levels of power output tuning but the ability to dial in various strengths of regen, like the Golf Blue E-motion that VW is working on. 4 modes of regen (neck breaking to coasting). I'm not sure if the Leaf is using the same type of ECU as typical ICE vehicles but if so it could be tuned by the likes of NISMO or Stillen.

With 100% torque at 0 RPM the car definitely has the ability to roast the tires from a stop.

I intend to autocross mine on occasion so having more aggressive regen would be great. It would be like the throttle and brake pedal combined in to one!

-Nader

EVDRIVER

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:38 am

It's all software driven assuming the cooling capacity on the motor and inverter is there and the inverter has a hight output then it it set to use, the inverter power is the bigger key here over the motor.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Is there a way to identify a used LEAF that has been hacked and then returned to the original software spec?

EVDRIVER

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Herm wrote:Is there a way to identify a used LEAF that has been hacked and then returned to the original software spec?

There may be log files since the battery history is likely stored. Logs would show higher than normal pack discharge, etc. Al these questions will be clear once some cars are hacked.

leafael

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:56 am

mmmm interesting a hack or mod for a leaf everything can be modded but every mod has it's trade off or effect on other components

EVDRIVER

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:43 am

leafael wrote:mmmm interesting a hack or mod for a leaf everything can be modded but every mod has it's trade off or effect on other components

That's the same for an ICE. Although changing an inverter profile is not that difficult for some there are other system modifications that need to be addressed at the software level and potential hardware level. To modify a Leaf for more power seems a bit of a waste of time as it is structured as a commuter car with a larger higher torque, low HP motor for broad utility. The most useful hacks for the LEAF are regen profiles on the software side and an external charger for the L3 port on the hardware side.

leafael

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:09 am

of course it's the same for an ice also for anything you mod pc, washing machine
but the components in the inverter would theybe man enough or fast enough for such mods
does anyone know the spec of the capacitors or the IGBT's

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:54 am

leafael wrote:of course it's the same for an ice also for anything you mod pc, washing machine
but the components in the inverter would theybe man enough or fast enough for such mods
does anyone know the spec of the capacitors or the IGBT's
The capacitors and transistors for what? The inverter?

If you're referring to the charger, we'll have to wait until someone decides to take it apart. The service manual indicates that the charger is a replaceable unit and isn't to disassemble and repair (dumb!).

I think most "charging" hacks will be to connect a traditional charger to the CHAdeMO port, so most hacks will be external. Internally we'll probably see "driving profiles" for performance and economy and maybe some basic "fun" ones!
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

Return to “Engineering”