xRB

Re: Does the Leaf have a radiator?

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:00 am

:shock: First I knew that Leaf had a radiator (or cooling system for the inverter, or whatever it is), and I'm disappointed. The function is understandably needed, but the practice brings along all the same old stuff as related to checking the coolant, putting in more --- all that stuff I was hoping would not be needed in a BEV.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 am

xRB wrote::shock: First I knew that Leaf had a radiator (or cooling system for the inverter, or whatever it is), and I'm disappointed. The function is understandably needed, but the practice brings along all the same old stuff as related to checking the coolant, putting in more --- all that stuff I was hoping would not be needed in a BEV.
The difference in the Leaf is that the coolant isn't under pressure like a traditional engine radiator system, thus it is very unlikely to develop a leak. Sure, you'll have to glance it, but it shouldn't need anything more than annual maintenance.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

EVDRIVER

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 am

DarkStar wrote:
xRB wrote::shock: First I knew that Leaf had a radiator (or cooling system for the inverter, or whatever it is), and I'm disappointed. The function is understandably needed, but the practice brings along all the same old stuff as related to checking the coolant, putting in more --- all that stuff I was hoping would not be needed in a BEV.
The difference in the Leaf is that the coolant isn't under pressure like a traditional engine radiator system, thus it is very unlikely to develop a leak. Sure, you'll have to glance it, but it shouldn't need anything more than annual maintenance.

That's not actually correct, the coolant is under pressure but not at the same high levels, there is a pump that does supply reasonable pressure since the coolant has quite a distance to travel and does pass through some small tubes. The temps of the coolant are quite low comparably so there are fewer temp related issues and the coolant should last a very long time as it does in most EVs. I found the drive radiator(not AC) in the Leaf to almost seem overbuilt like some of the other systems, this may have been done to be conservative for hot climates. You could probable touch a Leaf radiator at times without issue but not a ICE. My EV cooled all drive components plus the pack and the fan never came on except on and the hoses were just warm at best.

DaveEV

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:28 am

DarkStar wrote:The difference in the Leaf is that the coolant isn't under pressure like a traditional engine radiator system, thus it is very unlikely to develop a leak. Sure, you'll have to glance it, but it shouldn't need anything more than annual maintenance.
You probably don't need to do more than check the fluid levels more than a couple times a year.

Coolant these days typically lasts at least 3-years 36k miles before a change - and usually a lot longer. For example, on the Prius, you only need to change the engine and inverter coolant after 10 years / 100,000 miles and every 5 years / 50,000 miles after the first one.

EVDRIVER

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 am

drees wrote:
DarkStar wrote:The difference in the Leaf is that the coolant isn't under pressure like a traditional engine radiator system, thus it is very unlikely to develop a leak. Sure, you'll have to glance it, but it shouldn't need anything more than annual maintenance.
You probably don't need to do more than check the fluid levels more than a couple times a year.

Coolant these days typically lasts at least 3-years 36k miles before a change - and usually a lot longer. For example, on the Prius, you only need to change the engine and inverter coolant after 10 years / 100,000 miles and every 5 years / 50,000 miles after the first one.

Yes and it will likely not change at all the heat is just not there.

GroundLoop

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 am

Cooling the wires!? Holy cow, if you have to cool the wires, you're Doing It All Wrong! That's not where we want our energy consumed.

And in answer to your question, the answer is YES, the Nissan "reps" at the Tour event do make it up as they go along. They seem inclined to answer any question, whether they know the answer or not.

EVDRIVER

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:19 am

GroundLoop wrote:Cooling the wires!? Holy cow, if you have to cool the wires, you're Doing It All Wrong! That's not where we want our energy consumed.

And in answer to your question, the answer is YES, the Nissan "reps" at the Tour event do make it up as they go along. They seem inclined to answer any question, whether they know the answer or not.

There is no reason to cool any wire in the Leaf, Some VERY high L3 chargers have cooled wires because the pump extreme current.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:21 am

GroundLoop wrote: And in answer to your question, the answer is YES, the Nissan "reps" at the Tour event do make it up as they go along. They seem inclined to answer any question, whether they know the answer or not.
My experience as well. I tried to tell Nissan that in my report, and hopefully they know about it by now. Some of the answers were blatantly wrong and at times very humorous. I could have stood alongside eavesdropping and laughed all day long.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

EVDRIVER

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 am

I do need to clarify to avoid confusion about one wire, the wires to the usb port are likely cooled, a computer expert told me that is typical on high-speed connections. I'm sure the CAN bus is as well for speed, surely a loop to the inverter cooler.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:39 am

EVDRIVER wrote:I do need to clarify to avoid confusion about one wire, the wires to the usb port are likely cooled, a computer expert told me that is typical on high-speed connections. I'm sure the CAN bus is as well for speed, surely a loop to the inverter cooler.
I think he was talking about this wire cooling (rack) that comes with the accessory NA721 which is the solar cooking option.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Return to “Engineering”