joaobravo

MG and EB data

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:25 am

Hello!
I've developed a software intended to simulate Nissan Leaf.
The problem is that I would be very thankfull if anyone knows where can I find motor/generator map efficiency and most important battery discharge curves or in alternative internal open circuit voltages and internal resistance function of battery state of charge.
It may be possible to share in the future some of the results ;).

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: MG and EB data

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 am

I have not seen exactly what you want for the LEAF's battery pack, but there are some curves for "similar" (and some not-so-similar) cell chemistries.

Use the forum's Google search for
battery AndyH
and you will get about 100 hits.
AndyH has some good insights.
You might even PM him.

To get your LEAF model working, put in approximate values and curves that you can update later.

How do you plan to "run" your model?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

AndyH

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Analysis of Off-Board Powered Thermal Preconditioning in Electric Drive Vehicles
http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/vsa/pdfs/49252.pdf
This paper has basic weight/Cd/frontal area info as well as some battery details. Contacting the authors may give you the other info you need, as they modeled a "leaf-like" car for this study.

Good Hunting!
Andy

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm

One thing Nissan should have done / should do is to develop a way for anyone to calculate the range given the conditions.

The app can take the commute distance, avg speed, use of climate conditioning and tell us what the likely miles/kwh is and thus how many miles a 100% charged will be left with after the round trip.

Or even, I should be able to put my home and work addresses - and they should be able to calculate the range based on the route (and thus use known speed, elevation changes). Nissan an even give a summer/winter range since avg temperatures are known.

I know they have an app (from GE?) - but that just calculates the distance and assumed 100 miles of range.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

joaobravo

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 pm

garygid wrote:I have not seen exactly what you want for the LEAF's battery pack, but there are some curves for "similar" (and some not-so-similar) cell chemistries.

Use the forum's Google search for
battery AndyH
and you will get about 100 hits.
AndyH has some good insights.
You might even PM him.

To get your LEAF model working, put in approximate values and curves that you can update later.

How do you plan to "run" your model?
Thank you! My model simulates all vehicle components and calculates energy flux. It accounts several types of regenerative braking, battery SOC, vehicle aerodynamic and rolling friction and much more.
It is almost ready and for now I used a diferent Lithium battery.
I'm simulating LA4 US and I will simulate much more.
AndyH wrote:Analysis of Off-Board Powered Thermal Preconditioning in Electric Drive Vehicles
http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/vsa/pdfs/49252.pdf
This paper has basic weight/Cd/frontal area info as well as some battery details. Contacting the authors may give you the other info you need, as they modeled a "leaf-like" car for this study.

Good Hunting!
Andy
Thank you for sharing the article I'll read it carefully, then I'll give you some feedback.
I have a lot of articles and I'm trying to cross a lot of information. I've already gather some interesting stuff about Leaf.
evnow wrote:One thing Nissan should have done / should do is to develop a way for anyone to calculate the range given the conditions.

The app can take the commute distance, avg speed, use of climate conditioning and tell us what the likely miles/kwh is and thus how many miles a 100% charged will be left with after the round trip.

Or even, I should be able to put my home and work addresses - and they should be able to calculate the range based on the route (and thus use known speed, elevation changes). Nissan an even give a summer/winter range since avg temperatures are known.

I know they have an app (from GE?) - but that just calculates the distance and assumed 100 miles of range.
That would be very interesting and I believe that my software can estimate it.
When I finish It I may put some information in your forum alright ? ;)
Do you know how much accessories power is drawn from the battery with AC off and with AC on ?

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:30 pm

joaobravo wrote:Do you know how much accessories power is drawn from the battery with AC off and with AC on ?
I've only ever run the AC on the auto setting and, since it's not been terribly warm here, that usually puts the fan into the low position. But under those circumstances it fluctuates between pulling 0kW at best and .75kW at worst - my hypothesis is that's the AC compressor turning on and off as required to maintain a consistent temperature. This is in addition to the ~.25kW used by "other systems" on a fairly consistent basis.

2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Yes, you are welcome to post here, we appreciate your efforts.

Using a (lat, lon) "track", getting an altitude profile for it, assigning a speed, braking, stopped, and acceleration profile, passenger/cargo load, wind, surface conditions, temperature, etc. ... should let you calculate a reasonable estimate of the energy requirements.

Karen (on the Aptera Forum) created a similar trip estimator, so you should try to look at her very good work. It appears that she is VERY bright!
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:35 pm

BTW, I took notice of the AC when I first turned it on today. As it tried to bring the cabin temp down to 72 from 77, it worked the fan quite hard and it did draw just under 1.5kW. However, that didn't last long, and it settled down to using under .75kW in less than a couple of minutes.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 84,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

joaobravo

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:53 am

Thank you for your advices and information, in the future I will post some information.

Return to “Engineering”