Leaf Heater power

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucad88

Hi!

I'm doing a research for my University and I need to know how much thermal power a Smart car the heater can give to the air in the cabin.
Does anybody please know how much (even approximately) thermal power the car can give to the air the cabin in order to warm it?

Thank you very much for your help,

Luca

5 kW max heating in the LEAF

For Smart Car, I do not know.
Try a Smart Car forum perhaps?

Wow, I would expect better English skills from a University student.
But, perhaps English is your second (or third) language? :D

Thank you garygid. Your help is very valuable to me.
By the way, I'm Italian, so sorry for my bad English.

I'm also sorry for the mistake in my question... actually in my research I'm also studying the heating system of the Smart and I got confused... of course I was asking about the Leaf.

Anyway thank you again.

bene, ...
thanks for joining us here!
If only my Italian was as good as your English.

What part of Italy are you in (or from)?
What University?
What are you studying?

The LEAF heater is a Resistive heating element, powered with PWM (pulse width modulated) high voltage (350v to 400v DC) from the traction battery.
A liquid (perhaps like anti-freeze) is heated and pumped through a radiator in the cabin, and a variable-speed fan blows cabin air through the radiator.

Chao, Gary

Thank you again Gary for your informations.

I'm studying automotive engineering at Turin Polytechnic (an English course, btw :D )
I'm asking because I have to make a program in matlab to estimate the thermal power required to heat the cabin of an electrical car in order to study the use of insulant materials. My program currently estimates that to heat to the temperature of 15°C in 15 minutes the cabin of a small (smart-like) car left outside at 0°C approximately 2500 W are required.
I wanted to know if this value is lose to reality to validate my model, this is why I was asking about the power of the heater of the Leaf. Now I will try to input some datas about the Leaf and check if my work is correct or if I have to improve my programming skills other than my english language ones :)

Estimation of the thermal capacity of the seats and other contents is important. Getting the cabin air temperature up is only one thing, but getting the interior surfaces up is a totally different matter.

Probably the biggest heat loss is air "leaks", and 2nd is the windows.

But, in any case, Good Luck.

Both the RAV4EV and the the GM "crushed" EV both had an efficient air to air heat pump (HP) for both winter heating and for summer, typical AC cooling. As the ambient temps drops as it usually does here in the northern climes the heating mode gets less efficient requiring a switch to resistive backup.
Wonder why a HP did not appear in the Leaf.. Maybe cost??
Mike

Back