DaveEV

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Ingineer wrote:It's an additional 3.4kW unit for a total of 6.7kW. The existing charging system in the Leaf is left untouched, and the add-on respects the tapering instructions from the Battery ECU (LBC).
Very impressive, Phil. There was a couple times this weekend when having 6.7 kW would have been useful (I know you're aiming for fleet users) Have any pics that you can share? :)

grommet
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3612

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:01 pm

I posted a picture of it in the SF BayLEAFs group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeaf ... 061667994/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveEV

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 pm

grommet wrote:I posted a picture of it in the SF BayLEAFs group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeaf ... 061667994/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks - looks awesome. :)

ebill3
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7964

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 pm

grommet wrote:I posted a picture of it in the SF BayLEAFs group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeaf ... 061667994/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can you post it here for us non-Facebook folks?
All electric - red LEAF, green Tesla S. No ICE.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:38 pm

ebill3 wrote:
Can you post it here for us non-Facebook folks?
ImageImage

N952JL

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 am

mwalsh wrote:
grommet wrote: Car Charging Inc, owner of many parking garage EVSE sites, charges 49 cents per kWh when allowed. Do you feel better now? 8-)
Yes, much better to be charged by the kWh! :D
While it is much better to be charged by the kWh I feel the 49 cents per kWh high when the cost here is less than 10 cents per kWh. I feel a very fare way to charge is: The same rate that ICE cars cost to park, plus the current rate for kWh charged by the electric company. The parking lot is getting their profit for the time the car was parked just like all the other ICE's.

If the lot is free, then 1.5 x the cost per kWh.

N952JL

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:06 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
ebill3 wrote: Charging at 6.6 kW is what, about 16 mps into the battery? Not really that high a rate for such a large pack.

6600w / 240v = 27.5a

Into the charger.
Presumably, the charger output is 388-394v, so:

6600w / 394v = 16.75a
Are you saying the charger is only 61% (27.5a in 16.75a out where e=out/in)

N952JL

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:28 am

Ingineer wrote:Yes, the factory charger is liquid cooled. The battery modules are not. My 6.7kW upgrade charger is air-cooled for simplicity, but could be hooked into the existing liquid cooling system. (It's more efficient then the existing one, so it wasn't worth the hassle)

Now adding cooling for the pack is a whole different problem! Most cars have used the A/C compressor, because using a standard liquid to radiator system cannot cool the pack below ambient. So a liquid cooling system without a refrigerant cycle of some sort would be of little gain to a system in Arizona. It would also have to be isolated from the the charger's system, otherwise it would actually ADD heat!

There is almost no noticeable difference in pack temperature when I charge at 6.7 vs 3.3, but I can adjust the charge rate through LEAFSCAN™ if I need to reduce it for some reason, such as limited current available.

-Phil
Phil, This is important to me as it may be the deciding point between keeping my 2012 or trading in for a newer one once 6.6kw charges are ether standard or optional. This charger mod of yours, will you be offering that to us like the LeafSCAN and fan mod?

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am

="Ingineer"

...There is almost no noticeable difference in pack temperature when I charge at 6.7 vs 3.3, but I can adjust the charge rate through LEAFSCAN™ if I need to reduce it for some reason, such as limited current available.

-Phil
Have you any estimates of how much battery heating occurs at the ~3.3 charge rate?
no condition is permanent

TimeHorse
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:09 am

N952JL wrote:
Ingineer wrote:My 6.7kW upgrade charger
Phil, This is important to me as it may be the deciding point between keeping my 2012 or trading in for a newer one once 6.6kw charges are ether standard or optional. This charger mod of yours, will you be offering that to us like the LeafSCAN and fan mod?
Phil has already said while he'll continue to provide EVSEUpgrade service this job would be far too much for him to handle and even then think about logistics. You can ship an EVSE to California but hardly an entire LEAF. And Phil did say he's looking at fleet sales and those would pay off better than one here one there type jobs and Phil does need to make a living so respect.

What I would say though between Phil's NDA with CHAdeMO and other many LEAF-based projects it'd be nice if he or someone else could write up some step-by-step instructions that one could take to someone local with the know-how of getting something like that done. My guess is the main issue is running new wire. I guess since it's 2 chargers like the Tesla Model S it may be he used 2 sets of lines since threading a second set next to the first may be easier than threading a new line. Personally, I'd like to know the how to not just for the potential to do the upgrade myself but to see if an even bigger charger can be fit with a wire run through the chassis. The free Blink may be nice but imagine charging my LEAF at 19kW on my ClipperCreek CS-100. No, wouldn't go that far but nice to see what it would take to do so. I think when you get that big your main concern is the size of the caps and stuff making the whole box too big to fit not to mention such a big charger being molto caro.
RIP CO2 Fre, 27 months, 42,282 mi & 11 bars.
unAmerican Job & Nissan's Rapid Depreciation cost $20,000!
5 hours on the road daily w/o Charge at Work on 100%.

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Engineering”