Page 22 of 24

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm
by DoxyLover
planet4ever wrote:
Nekota wrote:
grommet wrote:Phil told me at National Plug-in day that the LEAF itself has no clue the extra charger exists... so charge time estimates on the dash, timer, etc. won't change. No big deal.
I suspect the BCM or what ever measures the current for coulomb counting see's the increase in current and reports it as amps. But I'm not surprised the charging time is hardwired to the 'expected' 3.3KW LEAF charger.
Not completely hardwired, because the timer is aware of the capacity of the EVSE. The 120v aspect is obvious, but I'm sure it must also be taking the EVSE's amperage into its calculation. I have Phil's 12A upgrade, and use an end-only timer. If the timer assumed 3.84kW (the 16A max at 240v, enough for the charger output to be 3.3kW) and my EVSE could only give it 2.88kW, I wouldn't reach 80% by the cutoff time. But I always do, with lots of time to spare.

Anyone want to bet there is a CAN signal the timer is watching for that tells it what the charger capacity is?

Ray
When you connect the car with a charge timer set, it turns on the EVSE for a few seconds to check the voltage. I expect that it also reads the amperage specified by the pilot signal. This it will limit to 16A (or 12A at 120V). I doubt that it actually starts a short charge and measures the power output by the charger. There's no need - it knows that the OBC will only generate 3.3KW; why go to the effort of measuring it?

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 pm
by hgoudey
abasile wrote:
DoxyLover wrote:From what Phil told me at the Green Drive Expo, it's more like $4K! Most of that is the charger he buys, which is very high end.
Ouch! No wonder it's better than the charger that comes with the car. I have to hand it to Phil for only selling quality products, though. We can hope that prices drop with time.
Perhaps this is old news, but I noticed a Nissan Parts Dealer selling the stock onboard charger for $1375. That's getting to be an interesting price for a buddy charging setup like Phil has worked out with the Brusa, which runs about 3x more expensive. Of course, one has to deal with the water cooling instead of air cooling and the Nichicon package may not be as easy to shoe horn in somewhere. Any other reasons not to consider retrofitting with a second stock charger to get up to 6.6kW?

Howdy

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:42 pm
by TonyWilliams
hgoudey wrote:Nissan Parts Dealer selling the stock onboard charger for $1375... Any other reasons not to consider retrofitting with a second stock charger to get up to 6.6kW?
The Tesla 40 amp (10kW @ 250v) charger in my Rav4 is available from Toyota for $3700.

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:44 pm
by Ingineer
hgoudey wrote:Perhaps this is old news, but I noticed a Nissan Parts Dealer selling the stock onboard charger for $1375. That's getting to be an interesting price for a buddy charging setup like Phil has worked out with the Brusa, which runs about 3x more expensive. Of course, one has to deal with the water cooling instead of air cooling and the Nichicon package may not be as easy to shoe horn in somewhere. Any other reasons not to consider retrofitting with a second stock charger to get up to 6.6kW?
I considered this a long time ago. It's huge, so you're absolutely right, it would be difficult to mount. Then there is the integration issue, it's designed to operate by itself on the CAN bus, so if you hook two up, it's going to cause all kinds of DTC's to be set in the Leaf, and neither charger will work. It would require a custom interface board be made, and possibly some modifications made to it's control system. It may even be necessary to totally remove it's controller and replace it with a custom one. Either way, it's an astronomical amount of reverse engineering and then (forward) engineering.

-Phil

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 pm
by Ingineer
TonyWilliams wrote:The Tesla 40 amp (10kW @ 250v) charger in my Rav4 is available from Toyota for $3700.
This is much more appealing. Here's the spec label:
Image

The specs are perfect for the Leaf, and it's not much larger than the Nichicon in the Leaf. Though it's still going to take a lot of integration work and an external control board. (Unless Tesla decides to release the source code.) :geek:

-Phil

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:56 pm
by TonyWilliams
Ingineer wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:The Tesla 40 amp (10kW @ 250v) charger in my Rav4 is available from Toyota for $3700.
This is much more appealing....

The specs are perfect for the Leaf, and it's not much larger than the Nichicon in the Leaf. Though it's still going to take a lot of integration work and an external control board. (Unless Tesla decides to release the source code.) :geek:

-Phil
It is a thing of beauty, isn't it? I'm shocked at the price. I fully expected something "crazy".

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:57 am
by BetterLeaf
Wow, the BRUSA seems like a really awesome charger. Thanks for posting that.

It's specifically designed for EVs.

I've found the manual of a predecessor of the same series:
http://www.brusa.biz/fileadmin/Diverses ... b_Nr25.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cool thing is that it includes a booster mode where it tracks the current drawn by any 3rd party on-board charger and then matches its output to that. It also generates a new pilot signal for the on-board charger.

So the manual suggests that you just need to loop it into J1772 inlet. It needs L1, L2( or N), ground and the pilot and connect it to 400V EV battery and the 12V battery. And the unit will do the rest.

No additional circuit or connection to the CAN is required!

The company also sells you the connectors for the units complete with cables.

So you still need to find and crimp the proper Nissan 400V and AC connectors and most likely an new J1772 inlet with thicker wires.

Instant 6.6 kW charger, but at a price.

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am
by TimeHorse
BetterLeaf wrote:Wow, the BRUSA seems like a really awesome charger. Thanks for posting that.

It's specifically designed for EVs.

I've found the manual of a predecessor of the same series:
http://www.brusa.biz/fileadmin/Diverses ... b_Nr25.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll keep an eye on this but I'm curious what lines are cut vs. tapped in wiring it in and look forward to some Guinea pig's pictures showing step by step the installation process.

Jeffrey.

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:09 pm
by jclemens
I know a guy who got some Brusa chargers from an bankruptcy auction. he is selling them below retail at about 2k each.
http://blog.evtv.me/store/proddetail.php?prod=brusanlg

Re: A peek at the Leaf's Charger

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:00 pm
by EVDRIVER
jclemens wrote:I know a guy who got some Brusa chargers from an bankruptcy auction. he is selling them below retail at about 2k each.
http://blog.evtv.me/store/proddetail.php?prod=brusanlg

Old news. Did you hear that regen does not increase range. :lol: