Water Pump Wire Pinouts for 2012 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eBIMMER

Hello!

Does anyone know what signals are required to run one of the 12 water pumps in a 1st gen Leaf?

There are 3 pumps in the vehicle and each has 4 wires. I measure one of the wires as being about 13V (slightly higher than battery actually). Other wires when measured with a DC multimeter showed fluctuating voltages between 0v and 10v. Could be digital signals, AC current, or who knows what elese. Lacking an oscilloscope im hoping somebody has the answer.

I'm trying to wire up the PTC pump so I can operate it with a switch in my EV conversion which is the 2012 Leaf in a 1986 BMW 325 e30. Hijacking the resistance heater functionality will be next :)

Thanks!

Is there a technical reason to use the leaf water pumps versus an off the shelf 12v water pump off Amazon? Curious because I am doing an ev conversion as well. Will this be used to cool down the charger?

I wanted to use the Nissan pump for cabin heat to circulate the fluid thru the heater core. I already have the stock pump so I thought I'd try to use that.

Yes, in many ways it would be easier to buy a pump off the shelf.

My motor cooling pumps are the stock Nissan pumps. The can system runs those si I never had to mess with those, they just worked.

Mo at ev-olution recently posted code to turn on the heater pump via arduino, so I'm going to try this route with the Leaf pump soon.

I have it here:
pWv1Q52.png

Please note that it takes 10s for pump to start!

Or, do what etunnel did and retrofit a less expensive water pump:

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24152&start=10#p540261

I know this is a really old thread, but I'm trying to figure this out. I get that putting 12V on pin 1 and pin 2 to ground runs the pump. I'm suspecting the other pins are a PWM signal. If the pump doesn't get the PWM signal in the correct duty cycle range, it figures there's a malfunction and turns the pump on full. This may be the 10 second delay.
If someone knows exactly the signals, please let me know. Thanks!

Back